Concerns with TRS2019

constar261

After months of waiting I finally have my copy of 19 on the way after 6 months from the original shipping date. Which I can't wait to use however while my copy is on its way I started looking in the trs19 thread and beta thread for gold subs. after read items from both channels I have some concerns I'd like answered.

1. The gold subs after considering the extent of my trainz collection everything that is offered for gold I already owned outright which is a laundry list of items. So other than beta testing new concepts then whats point of someone in the same position getting it?

2. Problems that are occurring with DLC, DLS, and built in content and the markings of it in the trainz database. Can someone clarify this for the basic trainz user? Also the advantage and disadvantage of buying things like JR content that is available both at the trainz store and at the JR website. Add to that the regional editions with users missing content that is used with other routes as either built in or on DLC

3. Gold sub beta stuff. As i was reading in the TRS19 beta channel I see that some content fixes are out for gold subs as beta. I want to know are if nonsubscribed users of trainz those of us without gold or silver will still get service packs and improvements to our TRS19 as well. Rather than for us to buy 19 and then have to upgrade to a new version 1-2 years later with a 19 copy that still hasn't been fixed for regular usage.

4. This is what worries me the most after waiting so long to get 19 with all the delays and bugs with content and other miscellaneous problems. Will 19 in the next months up to December of 19 be superseded by the new trianz next version? Even when the current 19 hell even tane still have yet to be fully functioning with all the things N3V said were coming.

Thanks,
Constar261

I will put forward my opinions on those points, but as many have pointed out in other threads in the Gold/Silver Subs, it all comes down to individual needs, preferences and circumstances.

1. If you already have most of the DLC offerings available, and you have an active FCT, then it may not be worth buying the Subs. If you don't normally buy any DLC and are not interested in the available offerings, then it is not worth buying the Subs. I don't have the Gold or Silver Subs because I have a lifetime FCT (bought many years ago when they were available) and I own very little DLC.

2. These issues are not just Gold Sub issues as they can affect those who have purchased DLC through the Trainz Store. They are issues that are "being looked at" and many have been resolved. There are many threads on this issue, its causes and possible remedies so I won't repeat them here. But as I don't have much in the way of DLC I have not experienced these issues.

3. Another topic of many threads here. One of the advantages of getting the Gold is that you get to play with new features before anyone else. Some people like that, others are not so interested. The new features that appear in the Gold will, eventually, make it into the mainstream version (what I like to call the "Mud Sub") some time(TM) "down the track". I once did a check on this (but can't remember the exact result) but new versions of Trainz have always appeared (and almost all with significant new features) about every 2 years (with some much sooner than that). So waiting for the version with the new features has always been a fact of life but you never knew what those new features would be until just before the release, this time you do.

4. You have the same issue whenever you buy a consumer product such as a washing machine, fridge or car. Should I buy "last years model" now or wait until next year and get the new model? Personally, I am waiting for the refrigerator that will automatically restock my beer. TANE is still supported with at least one new SP about(TM) to be released but you cannot expect lifetime updates for a product that (ignoring currency conversion issues - another thread topic here) cost less than $US100. Even Micro$oft has a "use by date" on all its products.

after considering the extent of my trainz collection everything that is offered for gold I already owned outright
>>
If you really do mean everything, then you may still be better going with the membership just to save on all your new DLC purchases.

Here's the "deal" for Silver Class:
Monthly FCT $3.99 (assuming you already purchase this), leaves $6/mth towards DLC.
If you previously bought 1 new DLC at $10 each month, you're saving $4 with the Silver membership.

Or if you look at it annually, $100 less $30 for an annual FCT = $70/yr. If you bought two new routes a year at $40 each, you're still ahead.

Regarding new features, the decision is pay as you go or wait "some amount of time" and pay later. The value proposition is for you to determine.

The funny thing is that if we release the next Trainz "soon", people will complain that they have to spend too much money too quickly. If we release it "later", they will complain that others have had access to the new features for ages already. :)

Last edited:
Everything that I wanted as far as DLC

However you stop paying for silver you lose your content or rather do not have access to it which i find a bit unfair. I don't really need and FCT when I mostly download stuff from 3rd party sites. I'd rather pay 10 and have it outright than save 4 with a continued subscription.

Here's my next question when is trainz next theoretically supposed to come out cause as of right now TRS19 still has errors. Plus the fact that the end of support for tane has been pushed back to a later date and that Service pack 4 is due out sometime this month. Will TRS19 have service packs as new errors and fixes seem to be occurring everyday plus TRS19 still has a ways to go before trainz next?

Everything that I wanted as far as DLC

However you stop paying for silver you lose your content or rather do not have access to it which i find a bit unfair. I don't really need and FCT when I mostly download stuff from 3rd party sites. I'd rather pay 10 and have it outright than save 4 with a continued subscription.

Here's my next question when is trainz next theoretically supposed to come out cause as of right now TRS19 still has errors. Plus the fact that the end of support for tane has been pushed back to a later date and that Service pack 4 is due out sometime this month. Will TRS19 have service packs as new errors and fixes seem to be occurring everyday plus TRS19 still has a ways to go before trainz next?

Have you ever known a version to be ( fixed ) before the next version is released ?
Still fixing tane and where well into the release after it
trainz old --- being fixed
trainz now -- being fixed
trainz new -- to be fixed

You have a point the most stable version of trianz i ever seen was either 06 09 then 12 and even that took years

Can you name me a software product that was "fixed" (i.e. bug free) before it was released? Not even Microsoft or Apple have ever achieved that.

SPs and HFs will continue to be released for TRS19 after its replacement is out just as they are for TANE now that TRS19 is out.

Speaking only for myself (obviously) I would MAYBE (on the fence) consider Silver or Gold only if the store discount will save you money on Payware. In this case you would buy all your content outright and have the Gold or Silver only for the discount.

I'm a newbie since '19 Early Access (outright purchase) and I added Silver membership for content (routes mainly). I'm already concerned about a lack of monthly download options. With this past month's offerings I had little choice for my 5 items. Several items were repeats and I'm only interested in North American content so my choices were very limited. And by mistake, I ended up downloading a two loco pack that I already had obtained as a free download from the 3rd party. There were only five items that I had ANY interest in and as stated, one of those I learned I already had. I'm assuming I killed my "freeware" version and now it's surely marked as Payware. (I have not checked.)

If options for July are not better I believe I will be considering cancelling my Silver since I don't buy that much content from N3V and I'm happy with the freeware on DLS.

But Tony is correct. I'll have to consider FCT expense and other items. I may end up keeping Silver but with expectation that I may only be downloading 2-3 items per month. And believe it or not... I do want to support N3V. TRS19 provides me much enjoyment and the Silver is not that much money.

I see both sides....

You have a point the most stable version of trianz i ever seen was either 06 09 then 12 and even that took years
>>
I find TANE and TRS19 way more stable than any previous version (and reports from others indicate this as well). That said, if bugs are reported they will be prioritised and fixed.

as of right now TRS19 still has errors
>>
There are no known critical issues currently. Please provide detailed bug reports using this link: [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

However you stop paying for silver you lose your content or rather do not have access to it which i find a bit unfair.
>>
Obviously paying a fraction of the store price and keeping it afterwards is also unfair. The point here is that if you are playing the game for many hours a week (which is typical of many users), then $2.50 a week for Silver is incredible value for money.

If more people paid us more we could fix more bugs, improve the quality of the content, and add more features more quickly. Instead, we work more slowly with a smaller team and
we do the best we can in our niche market.
[/FONT]

Speaking for myself I'm very happy with my silver sub. It saves me having to remember to renew my FCT and I can do a lot of downloading if I'm working on something. The five choices a month isn't of much interest now since I have all the Uk content I want either as a monthly choice or as a purchase from the Trainz Store. Having a gold sub was good for a while as a way to kick the tyres and see if I wanted to go with TS2019. Now I've purchased the Uk regional edition a silver sub was all I needed so I downgraded my gold sub.
I'm not that fussed about being able to try out early release content, but I will say that the new unified surveyor-driver tools do look very interesting and I have heard some good things about them. My only real concern with TS2019 was the Payware-Freeware-DLS-DLC issue which certainly caused a lot of upset and anger on the forum, but since N3V is busy working on fixing that it shouldn't be a problem anymore as time goes on.

I have the gold sub and don't regret it. However, I would like a stable Gold release because we went from a gold version that was essentially a regular TRS19 but with extra benefits, then an RC Gold version followed by a beta version. Release candidates generally follow beta versions so I'm confused.

I elected to go with a gold membership to help support N3V. I also buy DLC to reward those who went to the trouble of creating that content.

I have the gold sub and don't regret it. However, I would like a stable Gold release because we went from a gold version that was essentially a regular TRS19 but with extra benefits, then an RC Gold version followed by a beta version. Release candidates generally follow beta versions so I'm confused.

I elected to go with a gold membership to help support N3V. I also buy DLC to reward those who went to the trouble of creating that content.

I'm in the gold sub for the same reasons as you.

The Plus releases are like belonging to Microsoft's fast ring as they call it for testing new Windows 10 versions.

The current version has that nice nifty surveyor on the fly mode, but as you know it needs some polishing. For that reason, due to some instability with beta versions, I have my betas on another hard disk where I can break things and not ruin the working copy. This is a carryover from my old IT days which are becoming more and more remote the longer I've been out of the field, but somethings still come back to me like this one.

Back