Need Asset to Load Oil Tankers?

boleyd

I can't find an asset to load individual oil tank-cars. There are some loaders, but none designed to load tank-cars, that I can find.
TRS19 100240

Dick, I don't know if this asset will fit you need but it's what is used in JR's Santa Fe, Needles District model railroad route.

<kuid:370528:1334> n Oil Terminal S

I decided to not put in the effort nor time to make oil tanker loader for my Asset Route as this one was plenty good.

Hope this helps. Take care,

I was looking for something that integrated with the track. However, I now feel dumb. Thanks to your suggestion I fiddled around to see if there was a logical place for it and found that the refinery had two track/loader facilities. They were among the tanks and other stuff.

If you're using the Auran refinery here is something you could do that dresses it up a little,

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

This is from UMR-2018 and what neilsmith749 did was take a couple of <kuid2:37603:26064:1> oil loading rack and put them over the weird alien concrete loaders built into the refinery. Brilliant!

For local delivery points you can do something like this

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

This is from BNSF: Clovis to Lubbock and what maxwerks did was take bits and pieces to build a receiving station. In the background is JR's <kuid:175455:101060> JR Truck/Rail Transloader which, with some hoses, looks pretty good. He uses industry tracks with these.

Another asset I just stumbled over on this route is <kuid2:240390:20002:1> Load-Unload Rack which has off loading hoses built in and would look great with an appropriate industry track.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Not to be picky but I can't help commenting on the lack of or inadequate secondary containment for the tankage in the pictures above. Again, per SPCC regulations oil tanks (and other tankage holding hazardous materials) must have a secondary containment structure around the tankage of sufficient size to hold 100%, or more, of the maximum volume of liquid the tankage can contain. I've made and uploaded a berm spline and a 90° berm corner for tankage secondary containment in our routes. See my Asset Route for ways to use the assets.

See this thread for more info: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?148788-Storage-tanks-and-secondary-containment

Sorry if it sounds like I'm dissing the routes; I'm not. Most people just don't know they requirements. We work really hard to make all our track, signals, etc., correct and we should try to be true to life on the scenery also.

Take care,

Check out the items that wiiem2 made for me a few years ago. Look under the names Bulk Fuel. There two different berms and numerous pipes lines just for fuel operations. Nice quality work.

If you have the CHN tankers, they have a builtin load arm that appears as they load or unload. If you team this with a 10meter industry track it looks close to reality.
Early Auran tankers had the tubes that came out at the wall type unload faciilities. Don't know if this could be added to later tankers.
Cheers,
Mike

Thanks to all..... As usual, the forum is a well-spring of information. All the stuff was valuable and also directed me to deposits of even more stuff. Just building a proper refinery is a logistical challenge, assembling all of the pieces mentioned here.

Dick, From looking at the pictures of the facilities, I have some other comments which all comes under the heading "facility siting". Facility siting involves how a facility is arranged to do the intended job but also arranged such that if a contingency (hazardous material release, flash fire, explosion, etc.) were to happen, the damage would (hopefully) be limitied and effective response and recovery operation undertaken.

With this in mind, do NOT put your loadout tankage right next to the tracks and the loadout racks. They need to be set back from the load point(s). The reason is that if a contingency, such as a fire, were to happen with the tankage then any equipment, tank cars, etc., could be involved if they are situated too close the tankage. Same for any building not related directly with the tankage. Of course, a pump building for unloading could be somewhat closer but maybe not right next the tanks. In any event, the building would not be placed inside any secondary containment structure. Also, note the office type buildings next to the "refinery" equipment. That also is not good practice. Again, any contingency with the equipment could put personnel in the buildings in danger.

Inherently dangerous equipment, such as equipment with open flames like fired heaters or boilers, are always located a minimum distance (usually 150 feet or 50m) from other equipment and buildings. See my placement of the fired heaters for the stabilizer in my Asset Route. Also, you need to add an Emergency Shutdown station at the bottom of the stairs to the load rack and another one away from the load rack or facility so that the entire operation can be shutdown should a contingency take place. You can use my ESD station: <KUID2:417385:101760:1>

If you look at my Asset Route, you will note that I did not put a secondary containment berm around any of the Natural Gas Liquids (NGL) tanks. That's because any leak from these tanks will readily vaporize into the atmosphere and not collect on the ground. Not that an NGL leak is not dangerous; it is but a containment berm will not mitigate the danger.

Right before I retired, I did a rather large study, involving several of our facilities, that dealt with contigency operations and where the "on-scene command site" should be located. There was a concern that response personnel were setting the command spot too close to the incident location and exposing themselves to possible injury. Long story short; I used a series of steps, including equating various sized natural gas, methane, propane, etc., leaks to certain sized charges of TNT and the atmospheric overpressure that sized explosion would produce over varing distances to estimate the distance personnel should be. I used, for this study, a maximum of 0.5 psi overpressure as the minimum distance as that is the approximate atmospheric overpressure that will rupture a persons eardrums. However. one really interesting fallout of the study was the realization that the control room/office building at one facility was way too close a process area that had the potential of a propane gas leak. The company, because of this study, ended up moving the control room and office at a cost of many millions of dollars. Don't ask why this type of study hadn't been done before the plant was built because I can't answer.

And, yes, I would also like to see your completed loading facility. I promise to not be too critical.

Take care.

Last edited:
Maybe we need an explosion simulation that would be a departure from the bucolic activities presently in Trainz. As I assembled pieces of a refinery it did become obvious that safety was secondary to imagination. The level of reality needed seems to require large swaths of land to safely separate refinery elements lest the whole thing goes up in one fireball. I might guess that if a proper refinery was constructed in a square it would occupy at least 1 mile per side.????

Well, I don't know for sure but if you leave 50m between say the heaters and the process you'd be ok. But set the tankage a good 100m away from the process and 50m from the rail loading Put the rail loading well away from the process area; maybe the process, then tankage and then the rail loading. Take a look on Google Earth on the size of refineries and you'll get an idea of how large some of them are. I never worked in a refinery; I was in oil and natural gas production and processing. We sold the oil to the refineries.

Take care and have fun!

Back