Unified Driver Surveyor Feedback (Beta usage)

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
For those that now have the beta version installed, what are your initial reactions?
What has worked well?
What hasn't?
Have you had any difficulties?
Do you have any questions?

Still testing Tony.....I'm sure I'll find somethings that are not working as they should. Do we report bugs with the usual TRS2019 system or in this post area?

Getting flashing on/of tracks as has been reported, reported an issue with loco's on turntable flashing on/off may be connected, also occasional CTD - no warning no consistency.... may have something to do with zooming in/out too quickly. Otherwise things seem to be OK. New features will take some learning but it's all part of the fun. Impressed so far.

I have downloaded and installed. My first attempts at using all caused CTDs and happened so quickly after starting that I did not know what I did just before the crash. My only good try that didn't crash gave me all the flashing tracks so I dropped it and haven't had time today to get back to this but will try maybe later tonight.

Was able to do some successful drive/edits/drive (happy) -- have to spend more time testing. Not sure if I should continue working my "learning" route through the beta updates or start fresh at each new version -- pros and cons either way.

Last edited:
Tony, the concept is magnificent and I didn't have many problems ( yet.. ) I did notice the occasional flashing tracks but not that many ( And since you posted earlier it is a known issue and being worked on I just ignore it for now) I did have some CTD's, those happened at times I was editing my route and did a couple of edits in rapid succession, could be my Graphics card cannot handle all this anymore ( GTX 950 ) , I had no issues with it before I installed this beta...so..my initial feeling is that switching back and forth between surveyor mode and driver mode eats a lot of resources, hence the CTD's, But that is just a wild guess. Overall I am really impressed by what you guys accomplished with this update, must have been a hell of a job.

Ron

Re- tracks flashing on/of ... I had trouble editing a junction because of this effect..... it was a very shallow turnout, to overcome the problem I discovered that a sharper turnout stopped that section from flashing on/off. Will report it to QA

If I drive a train and switch to surveyor mode, I can't move the camera freely. I can only rotate the camera around the train that I'm driving. Is this a bug?

Driver mode, moving AI consist, paused game.

Enter Surveyor, moved some trees, placed two track marks and changed default direction of a junction.

Saved, returned to Driver. Un-paused game. AI continued journey, but Chase Camera (2) was glued to the top of the loco.

After around 5 - 10 minutes of following the AI, canera 2 became functional again.

2019-06-05-144935.jpg

The only other slight problem, is the time taken for the scenery and textures to fully reload, when switching back to Driver.

is there a tutorail yet showing how to use the unified driver/surveyor? Also would it not be a good idea if AI trains were paused automatically when switching to surveyor mode and unpaused when switching back to driver?

Currently no tutorial but there is a wiki page (search for unified driver surveyor

Since sometimes you don’t want to pause and sometimes you do we’ve left the default as not paused.
You can pause by hitting P.

Unified Driver is the best. It just needs the bugs ironing out. I spent pretty much all last friday testing it out and reporting several bugs and CTDs, so my feeling at present is it needs a fair few bugs squashing, and hunting for new bugs, before I can trust to save my sessions with it without fear of corruption/lost time.

The save system was always a little unclear (to me) and the Unified driver is making me a little more confused. I always get confused between a route, a session and a driver save. I think I get that a driver save is a snapshot of a session. In my mind I just want a "Route", the original "Scenario" (ie session) and the latest state of that scenario just called a "Save" (the driver save). Actually I dont care about the Scenario for my own routes, I just want trains to be wherever I last drove them - overwrite the original Scenario always, except maybe for payware scenarios where you may want to revert back to what the author created.

Last edited:
RE USD

I keep getting ctd's when going from main screen - Routes then to sessions. After clicking on the session to load it in for editing the ctd occurs.

I have had other instances of ctd's at different times.

Russell

Another thing that first stood out is the fog levels are globally too high, If the overall power of fog could be reduced or a global slider that would be most welcome. I've resorted to making clones of alll my payware routes to reduce fog strength all the various times of day.

Hello to all.
downloaded update for beta, found that when you increase the length of a tunnel more than 360 meters the tunnel it self stops rendering but the track keeps going.
it happens to all tunnels as well as rail bridges and road bridges same distance stops rendering.
Also you set up session like nav to coal mine lets say load bay 1 load run around nav to powerstation unload run around then repeat.
The train will go back to coal mine but will only load the first wagon keeps going to the end of the line and stops.
I found that pass train follow commands but when it gets back to the starting point it will uncouple from train go to the end and stops wont run around train.
Get errors click continue no CTD in this build.
When i change from driver to surveyor i pause ai trains before i adjust anything in surveyor, its the same if i don't pause driver.
BTW i love unified driver session.
thanking you.

Hello to all.
downloaded update for beta, found that when you increase the length of a tunnel more than 360 meters the tunnel it self stops rendering but the track keeps going.
it happens to all tunnels as well as rail bridges and road bridges same distance stops rendering.
>>
Fixed internally - update coming soon.

Also you set up session like nav to coal mine lets say load bay 1 load run around nav to powerstation unload run around then repeat.
The train will go back to coal mine but will only load the first wagon keeps going to the end of the line and stops.
>>
Are you running using "Navigate to..." and "Load" or 3rd party commands?
Are you sure the coal mine is operating and has sufficient coal to load when you get back there?
If there is coal available, if you drive manually does it load?
Is this behaviour different to an earlier build (if you have one to test in).

I found that pass train follow commands but when it gets back to the starting point it will uncouple from train go to the end and stops wont run around train.
>>
I don't understand this one. Please provide more details.

Get errors click continue no CTD in this build.
>>
Great

When i change from driver to surveyor i pause ai trains before i adjust anything in surveyor, its the same if i don't pause driver.
>>
I don't understand this one. Please provide more details.

BTW i love unified driver session.
>>
Great!!

Useing built in commands, like navigate to say coal mine load bay 1 load runaround the navigate to power unload run around repeat.
btw coal mine,power station have been renamed IE:KAIWAKA COAL/ HEATHCOTE POWER
When switching from driver to surveyor the coal mine has full tank of fuel and coal to load.
As for the passinger trains i use navigate to track mark wait 1 min and repeat commands.
thanking you.

Last edited:
Back