Healesville, New Session

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
Have to admit I am surprised no one has ever created session for this route? Zero on the DLS unless they have created them, but not labelled them accordingly, a mistake I've made. So I have finally finished one which will be available tomorrow I hope, called "Healesville Goods Service."

It's fairly straight forward, follow a passenger service, stop and collect two extra wagons after loading up the empties. Requires some shunting, split the consist, load in two parts, and put back together. Then proceed to another station, drop off the 2 extras, before continuing to Healesville. The signalling around Lillydale is pretty bogus, so I just ignore it. If I had time and energy I'd complete a few others for various routes. One day hopefully, enjoy. ;)

Hi Alikiwi
I look forward to having a play! I had hoped to see others make sessions for Healesville, but the odd era I chose (1915-1920) I think put a bit of a damper on this.

I made a few additional sessions for Healesville after TANE was released (plus the 5 that were included :) ), but unfortunately time limited how many I have been able to actually finish and release, most ended up being part of new loco DLC packs. I can't remember if the free one I did finish (basically running a troop train back from Healesville to Lilydale IIRC) ended up on the DLS or not. The 'VR D1 T4' locos on the Trainz Store have a fully configured passenger session with them (with an interlocking tower taking control of Lilydale yard; makes navigating a lot easier!), and most of my other TANE compatible DLC packs on the Trainz Store have at least a 'free play' session.

For the signals at Lilydale (and all other stations), they are laid out as accurately as I could get, and should function prototypically. This does mean, though, that you need to wait for a train to reach Yarra Glen before you can depart Healesville or Lilydale. You may need to add 'invisible' signals at either end of Yarra Glen to provide a 'departure' signal for AI trains though (the real location never had them, at least not until much later to protect the level crossing), and possibly one to 'depart' Healesville; the VR didn't use departure signals at a lot of stations that were run under staff and ticket safeworking, and at the time I was finishing the route up for TANE the rule of thumb was to avoid invisible signals on the route (they could be added to the sessions where needed though).

There shouldn't be any configuration needed for junction signals though, the black 'target' objects tell the junction signals what to show when the junctions are set for that track, and they should 'clear' when the track ahead is clear.

The one 'gotcha' is that the signals will act as 'approach release' signals (so they will stay red till you get up close to them) if only one block is clear. This is done to force the train to slow before entering the yard, so as to ensure that it can stop before the next signal. We use this method at Puffing Billy quite a lot, not fun for crews when they get stopped on an uphill grade into a station in the wet!

Regards
Zec

@aliwiki,

I have one unknown asset in your Healesville session - <kuid:103475:10112> . Can you tell me where I can find it? Thanks,

Bob Morrison

@alikiwi,

As you have probably read, The missing asset in your Healesville Goods Service session is a payware asset from Zec Murphy. Would it be possible for you to reissue your session, using a freeware asset from the DLS? Thank you,

Bob Morrison

Last edited:
........but the odd era I chose (1915-1920) I think put a bit of a damper on this.

What do you mean? - it's perfect. All steam and no diesels and the social and architectural horrors of the post WW2 era are a long way in the future.
And yes I'm very well aware your chosen era covers the years of WW1, but the changes brought by WW1 were very different to those that happened after WW2.

Thanks for the info Zec! I was on Puffing Billy back in March, spectacular scenery. And yes, I didn't realise the guards van was a payware item. I can certainly change that. As for the era, I quite like it myself and a troop train is a great idea, I'll look into that when I catch my breath :)

Alikiwi, You need to advertise your session over on the Freeware Annoucements forum to get a wider audience.

Take care,

@jjanmarine3,

I not quite sure how to do what you suggest. I can delete the unknown asset from the dependencies list, and delete the line in the config.txt, but how do I make sure that the replacement asset ends up in the proper place, since I can't see it? I don't think that putting the new asset ID in the kuid table in the same place as the deleted asset necessarily puts the asset into the right place in the layout. Do you have a fix for that? Thanks for any help.

Bob Morrison

@colin55,

I don't have any problem cloning the van, but as you can see from message #4 above, this is a payware asset from Zec Murphy. I have no intention to use it for other than my own personal use, but can't get TANE to assign it any kuid except mine. That means I don't know how to give it the kuid of the missing item. Can you tell me how to do that? Thanks for any help.

Bob Morrison

Clone a brake van and give it the kuid of the missing item. I did.

Colin didn't say: "Clone the van". He meant, clone a van of your choice and give it the kuid of the missing item.

To do that, open your chosen replacement asset for edit and copy the open folder to a temporary folder. Then change the kuid and import the folder after saving it.

Hope that is clear enough.

Trevor

@jjanmarine3,

I not quite sure how to do what you suggest. I can delete the unknown asset from the dependencies list, and delete the line in the config.txt, but how do I make sure that the replacement asset ends up in the proper place, since I can't see it? I don't think that putting the new asset ID in the kuid table in the same place as the deleted asset necessarily puts the asset into the right place in the layout. Do you have a fix for that? Thanks for any help.

Bob Morrison
Hi Bob. What actually happened is that I deleted the van from the asset list and ended up with the last car being a carriage with a buggy on . The train did not want to move forward or reverse , I deleted the carriage with buggy and added a van to the train and the session works fine from there. What the guys are suggesting regarding cloning a van is corrct but I did not bother going that far.
Cheers
Jan.

Last edited:
Well there was no reason or need to delete the wagon with the buggy. Anyway I created a new version with a standard guards van, so look for "Healesville Goods Service Mk 2".

Back