Chinese steam engines hauling coal

Wow!

It's amazing seeing those old 2-8-0s still operating. It it wasn't for the odd smokestack, they would look like Baldwin Consolidations.

I see what you mean about the dragons. What's with all those sparks?

Wow!

It's amazing seeing those old 2-8-0s still operating. It it wasn't for the odd smokestack, they would look like Baldwin Consolidations.

I see what you mean about the dragons. What's with all those sparks?

From the comments the coal they're burning is a type of coal called 'scrap' coal, coal that is of little value of the power plant or steel mill but still good enough for the steam locomotive.

From the comments the coal they're burning is a type of coal called 'scrap' coal, coal that is of little value of the power plant or steel mill but still good enough for the steam locomotive.

Ah thanks.

The locos are neat, but could use a bit of spit and polish, but I'm sure they'll never see that working an open pit mine. The scene does give us an idea how dirty a job that was working on a steam powered railroad, and is far dirtier even than a museum today.

I don't think there were too many steam locos in normal work that were spick and span. Some film of the UP steam is a good example.
They were there to do a job and reliability was worth more than looks.
Cheers,
Mike

Does anyone know if there is a steam loco in trainz that throws up showers of burning ash - must say that looks way cool at night.

Back