Using an iPad Mini to read the Forum

This is likely due to the forum software. This problem would be due to the site not being mobile friendly. It's not even "desktop" friendly. If I make my forum window small on my iMac (Safari) the Nav bar breaks on top of itself. In short... the site is not very mobile friendly. This is typically due to poor CSS code. If the forum offers different templates (skins) you might try that. Also, if the CSS has been updated you may have an old CSS file cached. Make sure your browser cache is cleared to get a "fresh" (latest) version of all the page CSS (style sheets). (Though I suspect it's simply poor "mobile friendly" code.) vBulletin (the forum software) is up to 5.x. The forum is still on 4.x it appears.

I do web pages daily... any web page creator can tell you that creating "mobile friendly" pages that work perfectly on all devices and at all window sizes is hard to do.....

Last edited:
Last edited:
That's odd... I'm looking at the mobile version now on my iMac and I have no nav bar at all... just the Nav Icon as intended on mobile version. Same on my iPhone and iPad. With the mobile version I get the mobile icon... not the nav bar.

The problem is with the way your iPad mini's interpret the old vBulletin HTML DOC format which is not HTML 5 compliant.
Was there a recent iOS or browser update on that platform?
vBulletin's CSS and coding is some form of HTML 4 hybrid and includes quite a bit of sloppy code.

That would explain why I see no defects on my iPad Air which is NOT updated to the latest iOS. But in that case, why previous versions of iOS handled that "bit of sloppy code" well then?

I would guess it would be more a function of browser than iOS. Plus, something may have well changed in the forum code. Bottom line is, the site is not built mobile friendly. Sure, you can choose "mobile" or "full" but even on my iMac 27" the "full" version breaks when the window gets small enough. Just for the fun of it, have you tried a different browser on the iPad just to see if you get a different result? (I would doubt it any different unless it was a css cacheing issue.)

That's odd... I'm looking at the mobile version now on my iMac and I have no nav bar at all... just the Nav Icon as intended on mobile version. Same on my iPhone and iPad. With the mobile version I get the mobile icon... not the nav bar.

Sorry, for the confusion, I think I see the same thing on my iPhone as you describe. It’s just that, to me, the total disappearance of the menu or nav bar is no better than scrambling 3 of the menu items, it’s actually worse. So changing to Default Mobile didn’t solve anything.

Nav is there... it's an icon. Click on the square icon next to the magnifier. It will take you back out further than you want but one click will get you back to the forum. Not a very good setup but that is what they provide.... To fix Auran really needs to update the board to the new version.

As info... I posted in suggestions (suggestion boxcar) an upgrade to 5.0 - don't know if it wll be approved or not (or possibly moved.)

Last edited:
Ok, the square icon does present some other icons, one of which is the Forums, but several menu items that are on the full site, such as Code of Conduct, Trainz Wiki, Trainz Store and Download Station just don’t come up (or maybe are just well hidden). I do hope your post in the Suggestions forum has some effect. I’m starting to think a formal cry to the Helpdesk might be more directly effective.

Ok, the square icon does present some other icons, one of which is the Forums, but several menu items that are on the full site, such as Code of Conduct, Trainz Wiki, Trainz Store and Download Station just don’t come up (or maybe are just well hidden). I do hope your post in the Suggestions forum has some effect. I’m starting to think a formal cry to the Helpdesk might be more directly effective.

yep... poor implementation of a "mobile version." As far as a cry to the Helpdesk.... go for it! The more that ask the greater the possibility.

I honestly have grown to it because as long as I can get to New Posts I am fine. The mobile implementation is confusing and unoptimised, as is the case for most websites/apps including YouTube, Flickr, and even the Google Chrome app at times.

Bumping this old thread because today I noticed that a text size selector has appeared next to forum.auran.com in the URL address box of my iPad Mini. Using that to reduce the text size unscrambled the toolbar menu text.

I’m not sure if this is something that N3V has done or if it comes from some update of Apple iOS.

13.3.3 ?

Mine was updated a couple of days ago but is on 13.1.2 and it says my software is up to date. Don’t know what that is all about. But look in the URL address box for the AA symbol...

Back