merging cloned (= modified) payware routes

zsuda

gemmipickin'gimmepiggy
to have a template with 1 basic "ground", basic effect layers and basic lightning settings for the start of a new diorama:
- i cloned the "content samples #1" (<kuid2:661281:200019:7> auran = installed, payware) in contentmanager (tab "content" -> clone (ctrl d)) ...
- i named it "new diorama" (<kuid:86955:100119> zsuda = modified, payware) ...
- i deleted all the assets (in surveyor) ...
- i changed the environment lightning settings (system menu -> edit environment)
- i kept the 14 effect layers (f1 - topology -> advanced) ... (* 9 turffx installed according to contentmanager / type ...)
== just a fine start for my wip's with filled-in effect layers ==

situation:
- i can add/update and delete (added) grounds ...
- i can edit as much as i want ...
- i cannot merge this route with another route: "error: one of the selected routes is payware and cannot be used with merge" ...
== so, if i want to use the effect layers in another (existing) route: it is not possible ... with this method ==

note:
== when i can merge routes (other than (modified) payware) it keeps only the effect layers in the original route and doesn't transfer the effect layers from/of the merged routes ==
(for instance: when i want to merge routes of philskene (= freeware) it only keeps the effect layers of the "start"-layout ...)

question(s):
- is there a way to merge routes, labeled as modified payware? (deleting/editing privileges in config.txt is not an option ...)
- is there a way to merge routes, labeled as modified or installed from dls (freeware), while maintaining the effect layers of each route? (editing config.sys ? ... )

merging-payware-routes.jpg

No! I wish we could!

I have asked time and time again to be able to merge the built-in and payware routes into each other as well as into our own routes. Maybe we'll have that ability some day.

Pain in the rear, not being able to merge ECML Kings X - Edinburgh & ECML Edinburgh - Dundee.

Who in their right mind, would think it is not a favourable idea ? :( :(

And I of course who love to merge anything or everything to my hearts content, whether Prototypical or not, I do share the Pain and remorse that we cannot either :'(......

Alas, we ponderer, we wait, we become melancholy in mind as when it ever that day would come upon us, as we wish to spread our wings...:eek:

Looks like today will not be that moment we have been looking for.......

We put our Railroad cap on as we walk silently, slowly with a dark shadow despair, of what could have been a moment in the Sun for us.......:(

I bid all the creators here good night, and good passage on the Virtual Railroad Journey of your life..........:sleep:

The issue is one of copyright protection. Allowing merge of a route would currently also effectively allow "avoid paying". This is something many content creators wouldn't be happy about in addition to N3V.

Re merging effect layers - that sounds like a bug. I will get QA to investigate.

... thankz tony for reacting and explaining ... and investigating the bug ...
... and thankz all the others for sharing their thoughts ...
grtz
daveric

No idea how merging is any different to cloning a payware route.

You have to own the route or routes before you can do either.

Just seems to me to be another layer of, control freakery.

With TRS19, according to Zec (last time I asked him this) the modified payware route is actually an alias of the original route, so really you aren't touching the original route, but made an alias that requires the original to work. That would basically explain why some features are disabled and why it shows modified, payware...

Just my though, but wanted to share in case someone might find this useful

I recently bought CoalCountry from N3V at a substantial discount thank you. I wish JR would put their version on sale so I didn't have to contend with this N3V payware hassle. It's a little gem of a route but I wouldn't own it if I had to pay 39.99 USD. That's just my own preference and nothing about the quality of the route. Created in and for TANE, visually it does suffer a bit in TS19 and the author has commented on that issue in the forums here.

It was designed for diesel operation. I run steam locos exclusively so I wouldn't own this route if I couldn't edit it in some fashion. I looked at the sessions and diesel motive power that come with it and won't be running them. I dl'd the "FREE" session from K&L - based on the JR payware route and K&L payware PRR 2-10-0 hippos and with some effort I got it to work after a fashion (2 errors in TS19 about missing unknown stuff that are "installed payware" in TANE SP3 - drivers I think - I got them but can't get them into TS19 thank you so much). I put K4s on the passenger service and M1b on the mixed freight. Added a couple of thru coal drags with hippos on both ends. I'm not a session driver but I've played with this one a lot. Steve's payware locos - I can open and edit any and everyone of them if I wanted to and I do.

Amazingly the original author sells this route on JR site with no copy protection except the assumption of your honesty. I could edit the JR route, save it, clone it or merge it. If bought from N3V with their copy protection built in you can't do any of that in TANE. Now in TS19 the hype is you can clone and edit it - to bad they didn't mention merging is prohibited. Buyer beware I guess.

Moving on. I cloned the route and as far as I can tell the clone is a complete copy (all the mapfiles are there) but the config has 2 changes - the addition of my kuid as owner and the privileges container points to the original route:

Code:
privileges
{
  is-payware-content                    <kuid2:92924:100080:1>
}
kuid                                    <kuid:65931:100013>
Obviously there is something else going on since if I delete or modify the privileges container CM flags the asset as deactivated payware and the game won't run it.

I can not merge the cloned route which I had hoped to do but as I said buyer beware and be sure to read what's not printed there. But if I could merge this route to another in Trainz what mechanism is there that would debit from N3V the amount I paid and refund to me the same? I already paid N3V for what I got so how do I "avoid paying". If I can clone and edit it I should be able to merge it to another.

Bob Pearson

Now in TS19 the hype is you can clone and edit it - to bad they didn't mention merging is prohibited.

A cloned payware route from N3V remains payware. A payware item cannot have its status changed simply by deleting the privileges container, and a payware route cannot be merged.

But one could upload the new merged route somewhere, not necessarily the DLS and so any downloader would get the payware part for free. I think that is Tony's thinking.

But one could upload the new merged route somewhere, not necessarily the DLS and so any downloader would get the payware part for free. I think that is Tony's thinking.
Yes, if the merge process removed all copy protection that might be possible. But cloning doesn't change the copy protection for payware now and they could make it so any merged payware route would became modified payware - it's their code and they can write into it what they want. We could then merge and you could not distribute the merged payware any more than you can distribute cloned payware now.

AFAIK there is nothing that physically or digitally keeps me from uploading/distributing the payware packages I bought anywhere I want to now. Current versions of Trainz however will not allow anyone to use them unless they are validated purchasers of those packages. Trainz has to phone home and get approval before it will allow you to use those packages.

I don't see any need to keep beating a dead horse here. The OP has brought up a problem he see's in the game and I agree with him. N3V can do as they see fit - it's their game to win or lose.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
... evaluation ...

... to evaluate the issue : merging effect layers ...
after updating to my current version trs19 105096 :
-- trs19 launcher ==> start trainz ==> driver/surveyor ==> create route ... topology (f1) ==> advanced : no effect layers ...
-- merge route = my own (blank "new") route with self-made layers (see pic)
-- 2 to 1 merged route = no layers ... so, the layers from the 2nd (selfmade) route were not merged / copied ...
... is this still a bug ?
... did QA investigate, like Tony said in #7 ? ... (btw : what means QA) ...

... concerning the issue : merging payware routes ...
one of my dioramas "volvo ce 19" (thread dioarama : 4 in 1) i started in a cloned "content samples" route as mentioned in #1, with my original questions ...
so, i couldn't merge it with another diorama / route, because it was labeled as modified, payware ...
to solve this issue, i made a new one from scratch in a selfmade "new diorama" ... the process / events will be described in the aforementioned thread ... some day ...
have a nice weekend, all
grtz
daveric

effect-layers-%28self-made%29.jpg

Last edited:
.. and another year has passed .. with some sp's and updates .. now build (release assertions) 111341 ..
i still cannot merge payware routes/layouts .. and i think it never will be ..
i still cannot merge non-payware routes/layouts while maintaining original + merged effect layers ...
i still have the patience to wait for a "bug investigation" as mentioned in #7 (date 2019 / 4th june) ..

in the mean-time i tried to merge again my original non-payware "new diorama" (with several effect layers and environment settings) with a non-payware route from msgsapper (progressive rail - jesse james line 19, with some effect layers), as shown in the pics :

merging-routes-with-effect-layers.jpg

.. i think it's time for a bug report at https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu ...
stay safe and have fun ..
grtz
daveric

Agree Daveric, should be easy to copy effect layers etc.
ty for submitting the bug report.

I use this (wysiwyg) workaround:
If I see a turfx setting i like, i make a screenshot(sometimes2) of the settings
go to the route i want it in and set it like on the screenshot,
a bit more work maybe but no merging needed.

If you have 2 trainz versions and 2 monitors its even easier ofc.
greetings GM

Back