(extended) database-rebuild freezes

zsuda

gemmipickin'gimmepiggy
... after deleting all "obsolete + non-builtin" assets, i did an extended database rebuild (= trs19 launcher: tab developer -> ctrl + rebuild database): it freezes activities at: "checking for faulty assets (498928/498928)" ...
... the green bar continues its animation (simulating progress) ...
... after 8 hours i switched off and restarted pc: started trs19 launcher: start trainz ...
... it started with a database repair: "building trainz asset database" ... and freezed again at same point ...
... after 9 hours i switched off and restarted pc: and again a database repair ... and again: after minutes of very active scanning and checking, it freezes (498928/498928) ...

... so, no fun for the past 2 days ... tomorrow again ? ... or is there a throughbreaking solution ... please ...
(if it is helpful: i have selected-copied-saved the lignes in a textfile : 2.868 kb ... normally 10 - 100 kb)
grtz
daveric

extended-database-repair-freezes.jpg

... after deleting all "obsolete + non-builtin" assets, i did an extended database rebuild (= trs19 launcher: tab developer -> ctrl + rebuild database): it freezes activities at: "checking for faulty assets (498928/498928)" ...

I have seen the exact same problem (right down to the number it stops at) and can confirm that 24 hours is no better than 8 or 9. After working on it for several days I gave up and reinstalled. The help desk could not offer any advice.

Before reinstalling I copied the whole data folder to a new location, so I can edit the local data folder in Settings and start the corrupted version at any time. That makes it possible to get at any content I need using Content Manager and TrainzUtil.

I have had EDR run up to about 6 hours. I have found, however, that if I defragment my hard drive the process goes a bit faster.

In some non-beta versions of T:ANE and TRS19, I have had an assertion error during an EDR. This will cause the process to hang, but clicking on continue will finish up the process with no apparent problem.

Last thing I do is run the deluxe extended repair overnight, when I remember to do it. I also have impromptu repairs thanks to at least frequent program crashes/disappearances. Restarting sometimes involves a repair for 45 minutes to an hour. Frequent "repairs" seem to reduce the time. I also sometimes remember to run a defrag of the only the N3V data the next day. Since the overnight repair has your data organized, as viewed by the program, it is a mess, scattered all over the disk. So a rebuild, FOLLOWED by a defrag, shapes things up for a day of fun and trainzing.

You do pay a penalty on the first start the next day. You are entertained by the caching process as the program reorganizes for the days "gaming". Perhaps the Trainz budget could fund an optional caching process at the end of the deluxe repair so your Trainz Day can begin on a fast pleasant note.

... thankz ... but no solution ...

... thanks gents for the replies ...
@builderbob : thanks for the recognition and tip ... it seems i have to reinstall too ...
@jcitron : thanks for confirmation and tip ... i did, as so often before, a defrag of my datadisc, but ... and i didn't get "an assertion error", so there wasn't a "continue"button ...
@boleyd : thanks for the compassion and tip ... i'm still waiting for a fund .......

in the meantime:
- after my opening of this thread i started an extended database repair with trainzutil :
--- launcher -> developer -> run trainzutil command.. (= repairdatabase extended) ... (if you don't see it: trainz settings -> dev -> enable advanced debug commands ... restart game) see: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/TrainzUtil
--- 01:32 - 03:49 = speedy activities (according to timestamp) = 178.820 lines ...
--- 55 hours later = still "running trainzutil command..."

- i shut off my pc ... waited half an hour ... started pc - started trainz: ".. waiting for database repair .."
- 11:50 - 12:51 : quick activities :
--- (snapshot) "scanning for deleted asset files (289743 / 499071)" 86 (= number in activity-screen) ...
--- (snapshot) "scanning for added asset files (5064 asset folders scanned)" 120 ...
--- (snapshot) "rebuiding cached asset data" 252 ...
--- (snapshot) "checking for faulty assets (237406 / 499071) 343 ...
--- (picture) "checking for faulty assets (499071 / 499071) 3176 ...

- watch the difference in picture #1, where the number in the activity-screen is 3149 ... is there a meaning of those numbers ? ...
- and on this moment of writing still running ...
- the pc is reacting more slow than normal during those activities of rebuilding/repairing ...
- some hours i spent my time on pc, some hours i slept and some hours i went back to my realtime modeltrack in the livingroom ...

conclusion:
- i did not get a solution ...
- i will spend more time to my modelrailway and leave trs19 ... at least till there is a more satisfying update (!!) ...
- i think it is time that i purchase a new pc with more potentiality ... is already in my mind for at least a year ...
- i reinstall trs19 in several versions: clean and untouched version - building/testing version - playversion with critical selected assets ...
- i try first a replace with a backup ... and can do some more experiences ...
- i hope i didn't lost my latest work ... so let's start again ...

have a nice weekend ... cu somewhere ..
grtz
daveric

extended-database-rebuild.jpg

You are entertained by the caching process as the program reorganizes for the days "gaming". Perhaps the Trainz budget could fund an optional caching process at the end of the deluxe repair so your Trainz Day can begin on a fast pleasant note.

Erm... you can sort out the precaching by doing it via TrainzUtil, it's in developer, just type prebuild then OK then go make a cup of coffee, should be finished when you have drunk it then no annoying precaching messages.

Daveric,

It sounds like the Assets.tdx file is corrupt.

There are two ways to fix this. You can use your blank database as your new database, and import your content from the previous one but importing content from your local folder a few hundred assets at a time. This means, however, you'll have to redownload missing DLC and other things.

The other, more brute force method is to delete the Assets.tdx and let the database rebuild from scratch.

The disadvantage of this is you'll have to redownload and resetup your login and settings, however, upon rebuild all your DLS stuff will still be there.

... Assets.tdx file is corrupt ... brute force method = delete the Assets.tdx and let the database rebuild from scratch ...
... so i choose for the brute force ... moved the file to an other place ... 2 hours activities and ........... it started the game ...
... so i'm back again and having fun ...
thankz a lot, john ... you make my week .. again a most helpful advice, as so many of your (re)actions ... thankz

grtz
daveric

Last edited:
Back