Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Layots with working ferry systems

Default Layots with working ferry systems

Been looking for layots with working ferry systems where it is actually active in the operation of the layot, seen ones where they are used just to load and unload without moving, the one on Dailin island goes to yard and portal, any one knows of any others in trainz where there in the middle of the layot and used in the operation.

I looked through the Model Railroad plan sites and found one possibility The Somerset Country Traction System and Eastern & Amboy RR a 32' x 40' room with a 10' x 20' extension. The actual layot was a walkway where the ferry goes across and is manually moved but there is no reson why it could not be a operational ferry.

Tom
    Acer Predator Helios 300 16gb ram, GTX1060 graphics on windows home 10
    TANE build 94916 TRS19 build 100240

Hi Tom --

Now those two layouts do sound interesting. And I've been looking for inspiration for my next Model Trainz effort. Where can I find the layout plans?

Phil

It is one layot there is also a small ng mine syatem as well, do you want the pdf i downloaded to have a look or its easy to find on the internet. There is a couple of jpg versions that are not good but the pdf version from the model railroad plan site is good.

Hi tdstead

I am working on a route in Norway that used a ferry as part of the railway, also during the 2WW. You might have heard of Rjukan - this is the "Rjukanbanen" and transported heavy water from Norway to Germany during the occupation of Norway. The so-called heavy water was required to develop the first atom bombs. You might also have heard of the film "Heroes of Telemark" from many years ago, which dramatised the whole story. The route is not finished yet and is pretty big. So far it has been under development for 2-3 years using TransDem for the original DEM and map information - so the heights and terrain are more or less correct. It has been developed in TS12 but I plan to transfer it to TANE (if TANE allows!).

Background info (in Norwegian):
    https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rjukanbanen
    http://rjukan.nia.eyego.no/
    http://rjukanbanen.blogspot.no/2014/...il-filmen.html

Enjoy!
    pdw

Tom --

Can you give the link? Or what should I google?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    Hi Tom --

Now those two layouts do sound interesting. And I've been looking for inspiration for my next Model Trainz effort. Where can I find the layout plans?

Phil
    I had a quick look for a track plan for the The Somerset Country Traction System and found this one. There's also the version published by Model Railroader, and a more schematic version published in this pdf.

There's some layout photos here (and more on Google images) that give a nice overview. There's also a Motorman-view video here.

Some further digging led me to the previous incarnation and some photos of that.

Best,
    ~James
    | i7-8700k @ 3.70 GHz | 32GB DDR4-3000 RAM | NVidia GTX 1080ti | 512GB M.2 SSD + 1TB SSD | Windows 10 | Meshify C |

Looks Like Thomas_The_Tank100 has done it for you, the 2nd link for the model Railroader version is the one I have.

Thanks for the assist James

Tom

the Netherlands

russian train fan with PDD-NOS and i'm proud of it

Thanks guys. Damn - I was kinda thinking it might just be one or two baseboards in size, about the size of my Bidye Traction, IntenCity, ... . Something I could rattle off in a week or so.

That layout is big, seriously big. Any plans of layouts that are smaller with ferry services?

Vulcan has done working ferries of different sorts, some are at http://ianztrainz.com/category/city-cat-ferries/ . He has also done a ferry for trains which operates as a transfer table.

Quote Originally Posted by tdstead View Post
    Been looking for layouts with working ferry systems where it is actually active in the operation of the layout. Tom
    Murchison 2 (Payware)... for 09, 10 & 12...

Cheers, Mac...

Have all Vulcan's ferries that work as transfer tables, that's what made me think of it in the first place.

Do have Murchision V2 Great layot, was looking for others for my self.

pdwood had a look at your page of screenshot, look very intresting.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    Thanks guys. Damn - I was kinda thinking it might just be one or two baseboards in size, about the size of my Bidye Traction, IntenCity, ... . Something I could rattle off in a week or so.

That layout is big, seriously big. Any plans of layouts that are smaller with ferry services?
    Here's one that's begging to be built, linking this terminal in Mobile, AL

with this terminal in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico

using the railroad car ferries Banda Sea

and Bali Sea

To my knowledge, the entire motive power of the railroad is illustrated above; the ferries are loaded at Mobile by TASD, and at the southern end by the connecting Mexican carrier, and the entire loading / unloading operation fits into two baseboards, one for Mobile, the other for Mexico.

More information about the carrier is available here; videos are also available on this page.

As I recall, the two ferries each have a capacity of 110 cars.

ns
    M.U.T.O.T.T.

I've found the key to world peace a dozen times. Unfortunately, they keep changing the lock.

Now that one is great, getting someone to build the ferry could be a problem, the switchers and track mobiles are no problem, the in TS12.

Tom

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by tdstead View Post
    Now that one is great, getting someone to build the ferry could be a problem, the switchers and track mobiles are no problem, the in TS12.

Tom
    I was thinking the same. That's one complex setup. I wonder if it could be built as a double-height asset with two-levels of invisible track inside.

Did you notice that the supports for the upper deck look like they're made from white Styrene plastic?

John
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618