A question about doubling up on JR content.

Piere

G'day All,

With their sale on this weekend, I am considering purchasing a route (or two) which I already have from JR (hang on, and I'll explain ;) ).

I originally bought the Legacy of the BN II route from N3V, before I realised the differences and benefits of editable content V's payware.

If I re-purchase the route (and content) from JR, can I just install it and it will override the old one or do I have to somehow delete the original purchase first?

If I need to delete it, how do I go about that as CM doesn't seem to let me delete payware?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Cheers,
Piere.

You may not be able to delete payware but you can disable it, which I think will remove it from your usable content.

Peter

What you can do is rather simple, albeit a bit longer process, to give you a workaround so that the N3V route assets won't interfere with the freely editable route and assets from Jointed Rail directly.

1) Search your hard disk in Windows File Explorer for this folder: SC434. Delete this plus an related folders such as SC434a, SC434b, etc.
2) Start T:ANE
3) At the Launcher, do a database repair.

What this does is remove references to the Legend of the BNSF II from your T:ANE install.

4) Install your purchased route from Jointed Rail.

Since the JR version is a lower version number than the DLC version, you need to do some things to prevent your JR version from being locked out.

1) Clone the JR version so the route is yours. I would change the Username (title) so that it appears in the route list with a new name.
2) Submit the edit.
3) Highlight and copy your new route's KUID - you will need that for the next step.
3) To move the sessions to your own route, clone the sessions (one at a time), and update the map-kuid to your own. Be sure to also replace that KUID in the kuid-table as well. Using a search and replace function in your editor works well for this.
4) Submit the edit.

Repeat for all sessions.

What this does is give you your own version of the route and sessions to edit, merge, and do whatever you want with.

When installing other DLC from N3V, be sure to watch carefully what you are installing because you can inadvertently reinstall the DLC version and lock the route assets.

Thank you all very much for the tips and suggestions.

As it turns out, even with the extra club-car discount, it still comes out at around AU$35, so I can't justify it for a route I already have (even if I would like to be able to edit some of it).

But thanks again for taking the time to reply, and it is still useful and interesting information too.

Cheers,
Piere.

Piere, I have no club car discount so until JR have a really deep discount sale I'll have to wait it out.

FYI I did the same thing with Coal Country. I bought the N3V version at a 2/3rds discount. I enjoy the route but I can't edit it at all in TANE. I wanted to turn it back in time a few years and run steam exclusively. 1st on the list: delete all the facilities to service diesels and add new facilities to service steam - there are none included in the route. Others include another passenger station, and some track changes here and there.

Tony mentioned "Or upgrade to TRS19 and edit away to your hearts content". True enough clone a copy and edit but it is still payware in TS19 and labeled as such - modified payware.

I bought the NA version of TS19 and I have cloned Coal Country and I can edit it but I was surprised to find it can't be merge with another route as long as Trainz sees it as payware.

It is not the same as buying and working with JR's fully editable version. Tony never said it is but I didn't find it out until after I bought it. They got me with that no merge restriction. It's still a nice route and now they say I'll get an upgrade - to TS19 quality. But then again they said in the order email "Trainz Route: Coal Country is compatible with the following versions of Trainz: - TANE build 74710 (or higher)" - I guess my TANE SP1 at 84356 didn't get the word and refuses to DL it.

Bob Pearson

Thanks for the info Bob. Like you, I really value being able to merge my favourite routes, so, even if I move to TS19, I now make sure to buy anything direct from JR.

Cheers,
Piere.

Back