Norfolk Southern - Sandusky District

escd84

I think since it is a WIP in the early status it fits here certainly better than in the screenshot thread. Especially since I am always grateful for tips, criticism and all the stuff, I think this place is more suitable.

Years ago I had started the NS Yard in Bellevue for fun and also published on the DLS. This serves in its TRS19 version as a starting point for future extensions. As in the headline, theme is Norfolk Southern Sandusky District. Some baseboards are still added by hand, just like the Yard Module. TransDEM modules are being used in Sandusky and further south. The second picture shows the current size, just halfway to Bucyrus. I allow myself again the artistic freedom that all places are as far as recognizable, but definitely not prototypical or should be.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Starting point - Yard Module

Impressions to the south

And Sandusky area with my creation of the coal port

I will gladly return to your offer AL when it comes to bringing life to the route.

My implementation of the coal dump. Sure something completely different from the original, but unfortunately I did not find anything suitable in Trainz.

And working in Sandusky for now

Your Route looks really interesting

Hello Sir,

Do I know where this is Nope I know where Ohio is though......Criticism ......Nope absolutely none.....

What I do know and see, you are doing a great job and heaven knows it is a large undertaking . ;)

Thank you for the most interesting pictures, especially the Coal Dump you made. Looks like it took you some time to create this little section since nothing was available to you....

:wave: I applaud your efforts here........And will continue watching the progress......

I'll definately be keeping an eye on this one, I live 40 minutes east of Sandusky.

Beautiful work so far Escd84 !!! Bravo!!

@GP30Fan: Howdy neighbor :)

Clair

Very well done, sir. Keep up the great work and blend real life into a bit of artistic license. You've captured the gist of the area very well.

Can someone point me in the right direction. I'm looking for switch motor like in the following picture I found in the gallery.

Picture

June update

And a small update, Sandusky area is nearing the end, just a corner, then it goes further south. Cities are so time consuming.

And a few shots up close, try this time to keep the detail things near the track area.

@nfitzsimmons Thank you for your help, these are exactly the ones I was looking for!

Man are you series , it must have took you forever to dig all of those. Nice work, looking real good. May I ask what track your using.

Last edited:
Man are you series , it must have took you forever to dig all of those. Nice work, looking real good. May I ask what track your using.

I was thinking the same regarding those gravestones. That's a lot of serious gravestone placing. :)

The track is from Jointed Rail. I can't remember if it's available under freeware or it comes in from their payware routes.

It's this track here:

<kuid2:506034:4357297:5> JR US track #3-132 (narrow ballast)
<kuid2:506034:578257:9> JR US track #1-132 (narrow ballast)
<kuid2:506034:582678:5> JR US track #1-132 (wide ballast)
<kuid2:506034:578260:11> JR US track #1-132 rust (narrow ballast)
<kuid2:506034:4357296:5> JR US track #2-132 (narrow ballast)
<kuid2:506034:4357298:5> JR US track #4-132 (narrow ballast)

There's some matching ballast, which sadly N3V updated to PBR, but the LRW or JR NS Ballast textures work fine with this.

The track is also easily modified, and I've taken the ballast texture from their Spur track and applied it to this track with the rusty rails, and boy does that look good in yards and branches. Add to that bad track conditions, and the boxcars and hoppers bounce all over the place! :D

Thanks to all for the great comments!

John is right with the tracks and the ballast. All he has enumerated is build-in in TRS19. And the gravestone placing was a simple part with <kuid2:439337:100809:1> Cemetary or Graveyard Gravestones and Memorials, <kuid:309035:60181> Graves line 1, <kuid:309035:60182> Graves line 2 and <kuid:309035:60183> Graves line 3.

Looks great! I am from Sandusky and grew up in Huron. I have thought about modeling it or at least the coal dumper. I live in Columbus now and have been working on a Columbus to Marion route based off of the Sandusky district. I have a thread of screenshots for it but haven't worked on it in a while.

Must of missed this one when you first started the thread Christian but I'll be keeping a eye on it from now on, Amazing work mate your attention to detail is second to none so keep up the great work.
Cheers Mick.:wave:

Must of missed this one when you first started the thread Christian but I'll be keeping a eye on it from now on, Amazing work mate your attention to detail is second to none so keep up the great work.
Cheers Mick.:wave:

Funny, yesterday I thought of you and Sean/Sureshot that it soon might be time to test something. I got some help and suggestions from "Pitkin" that I have integrate here and there. So he helped me a lot, also CTD should not occur in the coming versions (hopefully). I still lack some baseboards between Sandusky and Bellevue, when they are done I plan to publish this section.

Looks great! I am from Sandusky and grew up in Huron. I have thought about modeling it or at least the coal dumper. I live in Columbus now and have been working on a Columbus to Marion route based off of the Sandusky district. I have a thread of screenshots for it but haven't worked on it in a while.

Thanks for the kind words. Your thread about your Columbus route was always been a motivation for my plan of the extension. Unfortunately, all pics are gone. Believe the last pictures came around the area around Lewis Center. But until I reach the area, if any, a lot of time will pass

Funny, yesterday I thought of you and Sean/Sureshot that it soon might be time to test something.

Anytime at all if ya need help mate give us a shout, Wouldn't mind seeing sum pics of how that coal unloader thingy works though it looks interesting. Found this cool video of the dock working https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynjSgkwDL8c It is actually called a Heyl & Patterson Hi Lift Dumper.
Cheers Mick.

Last edited:
I built my own version of the unloading dock Mick. Rather "Lamberts Point style" than "Sandusky style". The latter does not work in the game.

The principle is simple, the coal trains are pushed up a little hump with 2mph, then uncoupled and every single car unloaded. Then it goes downhill by gravity. Braked and changed direction on the ramp and then sorted empty for new trains. It is great that you have to disassemble the unit trains beforehand into smaller ones because there is not much room to maneuver. Between Sandusky yard and the coal port at least runs the east-west main line of the NS

Nice work Christian and with this game if that is what works then stick with it mate, Mind if i try and make sum concrete silo's for that corner of of the process where you currently have two white silo's ?. I think that is part of the blending process they have there which i'm not really sure how it all works but i'd like to give it a crack anyway's.
Cheers Mick.

Back