Windows 10 version 1903 - How is it working?

epa

Angry Trainz Nerd
Today (May 21) Microsoft started the slow rollout of the Windows 10 May 2019 feature update - also known as version 1903. To prevent the utter disaster that ensued following the last big update (The October '18 update caused mass file deletion), Microsoft is now verrrrrry sloooooowly rolling out these bigger updates. For example, this update was supposed to launch in April, but some extra bug-squashing and testing pushed the release to today. As it is now, you either have to manually check for the update in Windows Update (and even then, most users, such as myself, still don't have access to it) or download it directly from Microsoft.

More info: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-get-windows-10-may-2019-update-your-pc-soon-possible

Now that the explanation is out of the way, do any of you guys have ver. 1903 yet? How are Trainz and other games performing? Is the update causing any new issues?

Matt

Last edited:
As a Windows Insider I've had 1903 for some time, not on my Main PC though. However have tested TS12, TANE and TRS19 on it and there are no issues.

There is another cumulative update for 1809 dated 21st which I suspect will need installing first before Windows update offers 1903.

I will second what clam1952 (Malc) has said. The performance and operation has been fine. There are some goodies too in there you might like.

Edit @ : 1903 Now available using the MCT.

If you want an ISO, when it's available use something like the user agent add-on for Firefox, Chrome I believe has an option under developer to do similar and set it to Linux or OSX for the OS you can then get access to an ISO download without having to mess around.

To add, people might want to get the latest update for 1809 - May 21, 2019 - KB4497934 (OS Build OS 17763.529)

As you can now control when you get the updates, under advanced.

Starting with update KB4497934, we are introducing functionality that allows you to decide when to install a feature update. You control when you get a feature update while simultaneously keeping your devices up to date. Feature updates that are available for eligible devices will appear in a separate module on the Windows Update page (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update). If you would like to get an available update right away, select Download and install now. To find out more about this feature, please go to this blog.
When Windows 10 devices are at, or within several months of reaching, end of service, Windows Update will begin to automatically initiate a feature update. This keeps those devices supported and receiving the monthly updates that are critical to device security and ecosystem health.

Just updated both my non insider PC's using the Update assistant done in just under an hour for both. Painless.

Note unplug any usb drives as 1903 version won't be installable if you have any USB drives connected. MS are blocking if USB drives connected due to a known bug that they are not going to bother fixing just yet.

Last edited:
So I went ahead and downloaded 1903 directly from Microsoft, since I wasn't getting it in regular updates yet. So far I'm loving it. Trainz performs great, and I'm really liking this new proper light mode.

Matt

Updated my laptop a day or two ago - love the UI improvements that 1903 brings.
Am still in a time-warp on my primary Windows Insider machine due to the USB debacle - and even after disconnecting all USBs on that PC desktop and restarting, the OS still refuses to update.
So, I'm left with the ludicrous situation where my beta-testing machine is rocking older software than my production machines. Usually it is the other way around.

Updated my laptop a day or two ago - love the UI improvements that 1903 brings.
Am still in a time-warp on my primary Windows Insider machine due to the USB debacle - and even after disconnecting all USBs on that PC desktop and restarting, the OS still refuses to update.
So, I'm left with the ludicrous situation where my beta-testing machine is rocking older software than my production machines. Usually it is the other way around.

Do you have multiple hard drives installed internally as well?

I ran into an issue with Windows 7 and Windows 8, and earlier versions of Windows 10 where the installer was confused and the system would fail to boot because the installer set the wrong drive to boot from. By disconnecting the data drives, the system was updated fine and I then plugged the other drives in.

JCitron - Yup - I have several internal SSDs and a multi-terabyte HDD data storage disk as well on this particular rig.
Disconnecting all the external drives and USB peripherals didn't work, so I guess the next step is to run the update from the SSD boot drive only with everything else disabled.
Heard that the issue also scrambled internal drives as well... so was wary of the upgrade attempt.
Glad to hear your solution worked.
Have been putting off opening up the case to give the rig a needed dust cleanout in any event, so I guess this is my chance!

JCitron - Yup - I have several internal SSDs and a multi-terabyte HDD data storage disk as well on this particular rig.
Disconnecting all the external drives and USB peripherals didn't work, so I guess the next step is to run the update from the SSD boot drive only with everything else disabled.
Heard that the issue also scrambled internal drives as well... so was wary of the upgrade attempt.
Glad to hear your solution worked.
Have been putting off opening up the case to give the rig a needed dust cleanout in any event, so I guess this is my chance!

The drive scrambling is not the data but the drive letter so this is why removing the other drives works since there is only one drive and not a whole lot of others to change drive letters.

Yeah I do the system clean out many times over the course of the year. We have one of those Rocket things that costs about $20 USD. It's like canned air, but doesn't spoil the environment, although it requires a bit of manual labor. It does a good job and with its small nozzle, it can puff air into tight places well.

Speaking of drives, I just replaced two of my older 2-TB drives with some NAS-quality hard disks. One of my drives was failing and the other being a month newer was heading the same way.

They released an Insider update yesterday for 1903, amongst other things to fix the USB issue, presumably when it goes mainstream then they will use 1903 - 18362.145 for the MCT or updater, currently it's 18362.116. Would imagine it will get released in a week or so thus unblocking the USB issue.

I have version 1803 and was updated on May 21st 2019. What is the difference of 1803 to 1903? They both seem to be current. I have Windows 10 Pro.

BTW, I have no issues with the update I got on the 21st. Everything seems the same in regards to Trainz.

Cumulative updates, which if you are on 1803 is what you got, is not an updated OS which is what 1903 is. 1803 expires November 12, 2019 after that it will receive no security or cumulative updates. Each build, for non business users lasts for 18 months before it's support is withdrawn.

1809 is better than 1803 and 1903 is better again than both, plus 1903 gives you control better control over your updates for both Home and Pro.

Cumulative updates, which if you are on 1803 is what you got, is not an updated OS which is what 1903 is. 1803 expires November 12, 2019 after that it will receive no security or cumulative updates. Each build, for non business users lasts for 18 months before it's support is withdrawn.

1809 is better than 1803 and 1903 is better again than both, plus 1903 gives you control better control over your updates for both Home and Pro.

This page supports your comments and is time sensitive for future visitors to this forum;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/

This page seems to state that in June I will get 1903 in June automatically;

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/05/21/how-to-get-the-windows-10-may-2019-update/#bWkrmVXb6OMKfZfh.97

So I guess I will spend tomorrow backing everything up and then move forward. Thank you for pointing this out, I obviously missed this one.

Finally moved my desktop test rig over to Version 1903 and ran subsequent updates/ patches offered to update to the very latest build.
The interim Windows Insider fixes for the USB/ internal drive issue obstinately failed to work for me, so I ended up disabling all the drives and USB peripherals except for the boot drive SSD and updated the OS on that.
Gave the entire case and interior a thorough clean during the process, so now I feel supremely smug and satisfied.
Took a while as I have been away at conferences and rather busy with a couple of projects.
Since I had already upgraded my laptop to 1903, there wasn't the incentive of curiosity about what goodies the new version would bring, so the task was relegated to a lower priority and until spare time allowed.
That said - I love it - and highly recommend this new build of Windows 10 to anyone still on 1803/ 1809 etc.

Back