.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 110

Thread: TRS19 Content delivery strategy causing major route development problems

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, Alabama, Wetumpka
    Posts
    576
     

    Default

    Apparently the only relatively safe strategy is to rely exclusively on items on the DLS. In effect that's what I do, since built-in items frequently can't be renamed which makes them impossible to find in a very large base of installed assets. This is particularly true of items which are labeled payware, and which I automatically disable. A waste of disk space as far as I'm concerned. (This of course doesn't apply to dependencies such as engine sounds or bogies which are not usually chosen directly by the route designer, though even these can snarl things up after an upgrade.)

    Unfortunately, there have been cases of items formerly available on the DLS which in later versions became payware, with the result that even attempting to install an older version from a previous installation of Trainz is instantly obsoleted upon submitting. There seems to be no rhyme or reason at all to how this issue is handled. Sadly, this has become yet another reason for not upgrading, which I would think would be the opposite of what N3V management intended.

    --Lamont

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, Oregon, Portland
    Posts
    3,322
     

    Default

    I've had several of my assets on the DLS become integrated into DLC or the base game. In all cases, the original asset is still on the DLS; and the built-in / payware copy has kept the same KUID. So, if someone used one of those assets in a route, it would still be available on the DLS for people w/o the built-in / payware copy.
    On a related note, N3V has been good about reverting to 'built-in' any assets that have been incorrectly marked as payware, so they do seem to be paying attention and responsive to the issue.

    Curtis

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    142
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ldowns View Post
    Sadly, this has become yet another reason for not upgrading, which I would think would be the opposite of what N3V management intended.
    this, what were nv3 thinking turning their release an updated version of the game every few years to this?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    United States of America, GA, Grovetown
    Posts
    1,123
     

    Default

    Okay let me try to summarize this whole thing up.
    1. Ts19 doesn't seem to play well when it comes to content creation.
    2. It's making third party content providers jump through hoops just to get routes ready for upload.
    3. Even once uploaded there is the issue of what is the base trz19 game with the regional editions making it harder.
    4. Then there is the turning of content into either dlc or built-in.

    Now add on to that content being replaced or omitted and the fact that even now almost 6 months after the supposed release date for the retail boxed version it's been delayed again until June.
    Lead, Follow, Or get the **** out of the way -​Hugh "Polar Bear" Rowland
    My website: https://sites.google.com/site/gwinsplace/

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    , VA, GROTTOES
    Posts
    1,290
     

    Default

    Basically I had 3 routes I put into TS19 from Tane and low and behold assets started becoming unavailable as I was trying to transform them...
    So I deleted them and switched back to TANE...

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    147
     

    Default

    I was thinking about uploading the BC&SJ route to the dis, but this is giving me second thoughts...

    H.Fithers

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Crewe, Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    14,666
     

    Default

    Take it no one has noticed the large amount of previously builtin / Payware assets being put on the DLS in the last month or so? Looks to me to be correcting the stuff marked as payware which shouldn't have been, might be an idea to check for out of date stuff, which might solve some of these problems, it might not but not having any issues whith unavailable stuff here.
    Malc


  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs
    Posts
    394
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horacefithers View Post
    I was thinking about uploading the BC&SJ route to the dis, but this is giving me second thoughts...

    H.Fithers


    There may not be that many problems. We will never know if you don't make it available.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    , VA, GROTTOES
    Posts
    1,290
     

    Default

    Ya I noticed that and also knew they were gonna do such but for me., I downloaded a few assets and half showed up faulty...
    I am just trying to get a few routes finally completed...
    I am sure they'll get it under control eventually...

    Dave =)

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    147
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    There may not be that many problems. We will never know if you don't make it available.
    OK. I opened the latest version of my route in Content Manager and listed Recursive Dependecies.

    There are hundreds of Installed, Payware items, some of them critical to the BC&SJ route (like the '50s automobiles). How about the JR wood grade crossing?

    I'm still pretty new to Trainz (only TRS19 so far) and I didn't really understand (and probably still don't) the ramifications of assets selection.

    I have a gold membership and without realizing what I was doing I just picked assets that looked good to put in the route.

    Yikes there are a lot of payware items in there.

    If I wanted to spend the time replacing the items for which I can find good, non payware replacements, how does one track down the location of the instances of a particular item used in a large route when I'm not sure where they are located (ie a particular tree type lost in vast expanses of forest)?

    How does one tell which DLC content packs or built-in content packs (from the gold membership) one has installed?

    H. Fithers

    ps. My fithers are definitely ruffled by all this!!!!!!!!!!!! {:<)

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,825
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSGSapper View Post
    The Problem: Built-in content is apparently being provided in the free DLCs that users are prompted to download and install by TRS19 rather then drawing on that already included in the base TRS19 program or requiring it be downloaded from the DLS.
    The problem affects users even if they don't install the free DLC. It has gotten completely out of hand.

    <kuid2:661281:100035:1> C&O 2-6-6-6 H8 - New River Mining Coal Run is installed by default. It is a session of <kuid2:453099:100037:20> C&O Hinton Division and includes <kuid:175455:100379> GBCX Cylindrical Hopper which is a freeware item from Jointed Rail. But if users don't also install the route (which SHOULD be optional) then the hopper (and others) are listed as 'Payware, Not Installed'. If the JR freeware is installed then it becomes listed as 'Payware, Modified, Faulty' and can't be used.

    N3V claims that they aren't responsible if JR payware is subsequently released as freeware, but that's not what has happened here. The payware was never installed, but it is listed as 'Payware, Not installed', it can't be deleted and it can't be replaced!

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Australia, Victoria, Churchill
    Posts
    1,413
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
    The problem affects users even if they don't install the free DLC. It has gotten completely out of hand.

    <kuid2:661281:100035:1> C&O 2-6-6-6 H8 - New River Mining Coal Run is installed by default. It is a session of <kuid2:453099:100037:20> C&O Hinton Division and includes <kuid:175455:100379> GBCX Cylindrical Hopper which is a freeware item from Jointed Rail. But if users don't also install the route (which SHOULD be optional) then the hopper (and others) are listed as 'Payware, Not Installed'. If the JR freeware is installed then it becomes listed as 'Payware, Modified, Faulty' and can't be used.

    N3V claims that they aren't responsible if JR payware is subsequently released as freeware, but that's not what has happened here. The payware was never installed, but it is listed as 'Payware, Not installed', it can't be deleted and it can't be replaced!
    The JR freeware one can be upversioned to override the payware.
    Graeme

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,825
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grazlash View Post
    The JR freeware one can be upversioned to override the payware.
    The JR ones get the status 'Payware, Modified, Faulty' and cannot be edited.

    They could only be upversioned in another system (eg, TS12) and then imported - a process beyond the capacity of many users.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Caledonia
    Posts
    2,753
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Take it no one has noticed the large amount of previously builtin / Payware assets being put on the DLS in the last month or so? Looks to me to be correcting the stuff marked as payware which shouldn't have been
    This was the promise of 'immediate attention' on March 13th.

    It seems to only apply to items where the DLC/builtin version was the same as the freeware version. In cases where the DLC/builtin version obsoleted the freeware (such as <kuid:5204:100065/66/68...>) nothing has happened.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, Ohio, Sandusky
    Posts
    667
     

    Default

    I'm not sure I understand the difference between DLS and DLC. The payware part I get.

    The bottom line for me is this seems to be an approach stop to buying anything new, TS19 included.

    I think I'll just put any upgrade plans on hold till the dust settles.

    -AL

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •