Trainz 2019 AI

Suren57

Dear Friends,

i last owned TS 2009 and AI was not that good , you guys know the cases of slow downs , stops, locking junctions , etc....

so i would like to know how the trainz AI have improved in TS 2019 ? any links or documents ? , i tried searching couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Suren

Things have come a long way since TS2009 in many areas including AI operations. A lot of the AI issues you do run into, are your own doings. If you think and plan carefully, the AI will do as they are told and not what you think you told them. With that said, however, things aren't perfect and they do some unusual, well probably known only to the AI minds, things that will never cease to amaze you. With the program's new multi-threaded technology, the AI works better because there is less contention as there was in the old Jet-engine based game code.

Hopefully you have upgraded your computer since that state of the art system from a decade ago. TRS19 is also quite an advanced and requires a more substantial computer system than the one you have in your signature. The program is fully 64-bit and will as much resources as it can handle in a typical 64-bit application fashion. The more RAM you have the better. The program, unlike previous versions, is more GPU-driven, and less reliant on the CPU for operations so having a substantial video card, such as a GTX1070 or higher, will do well for you, but you also need a CPU too that will be able to handle the GPU data as well without becoming the bottleneck.

To add to John's comments above, N3V have stated that any significant changes to the operation of the AI would be a major undertaking and has been placed on the "to do" list.

From my experience people sometimes (often) expect far too much from the AI. If you keep your expectations low and provide an oversupply of assistance in the form of track marks, direction marks, invisible signals, etc then some of those low expectations will be met.

I use AI driver sessions and commands a great deal in my home-built routes and think that AI has come a very long way since TS2009.
Indeed, since TS12, AI scripting and commands have matured markedly over 4 full years of T:ANE's development and over 6 months of TRS19's.
AI outcomes depend very much on the amount of logical thinking, input, design and attention to detail put in by the TRS19 user - and NOT the AI driver!
The assets, commands, and capabilities are built in; - successful AI sessions depend on the skills, knowledge and wily aforethought of the route and session builder - and certainly not the avatars.

Last edited:
Sometimes the AI -does- things you don't want them to do, like just now..I noticed one of the AI drivers stop his train, climbed out of the cab and walked to a Diner to eat something....

Meh, I should stop drinking this wine and head to bed.

Ron

Last edited:
The operation of a railroad is a complex challenge. Choosing assets to meet those objectives is, unfortunately, luck coupled to experience. A portion of the AI relevant assets do not work. Combinations and placement of AI functions is an unknown art since no one has published a complete set of selection and placement rules. Then you are told to change CONFIG parameters. That is like the automobile dealer telling you to fix your problems they are not going to do it.

N3V has continued to pile beautification changes into the product to compete with the "save the world" children's games. There the results are quite effective and pleasing. However, we are fortunate that N3V has indicated no desire to dig into the AI code. For that we are lucky. However, the customers are left on their own.

The problem is that features added to the product sometimes have unintended consequences. A visual improvement becomes involved with a "special undocumented" piece of code that was stuck in at the last minute years ago to make a feature work and get the deadline met. Years later a function sometimes fails in some mysterious set of circumstances. There are arcane work-arounds and alternative assets choices so that "bug" remains forever. It lays there until the next set of new code stumbles upon it. If that was the launch program for an Atlas rocket it would be found. But for a game it ain't worth the time/cost. Thus how many similar traps build up and plague each new release and disturb the customers whose forum anger discourages possible new customers?

thanks you all, from 2009 only thing im hoping to do in trainz one day is a scheduled timetable railway managment with some ad-hoc trains. thought i have tried some with some DLC plugins and markers and singals stuff. it didnt give a good railway as when i tweak one train. another train goes on reverse thorugh wrong tracks and blocks a another train somewhere else.

i just wish i could buy N3V games and invest more funds into trainz Development where functionality are given priority. like for example add Sid Meier's Railroads features.

Back