Model Railways Unite the World!

sterrett

Remember the Withered Arm
Within 48 hours of a Model Railway Exhibition being senselessly destroyed by four teenage vandals, people from around the world have donated £45,000 to help the hobbyists rebuild their handiwork. Sadly, one of the men is 80 years old, but at least it will help to get them up and running again.

On Saturday, I saw the three last High Speed Trains (HST) leave Reading and as I buzzed our commuter train out, the HST departed at the same time with our passengers all crowding to the windows for a last look. Both the HST driver and ours exchanged fanfares on the horns to the delight of the enthusiasts on the platform!

You know, sometimes I think the world could learn such a lot from our railway hobby!

https://news.sky.com/story/model-railway-club-raises-16330000-after-exhibition-trashed-by-vandals-11724403?fbclid=IwAR1AWCJCp-KPsat8KXX5BwsojNcwhSk9cg5HFW3UhKn7mykGq0r9ZdbIGsM

I despair sometimes at the state of the UK when it comes to this sort of mindless action. You only need to look at the litter and graffiti strewn everywhere to realise we are on the cusp of complete breakdown in law and order. Sadly if they catch the culprits, little will be done other than a negligible fine or community service which they'll probably dodge anyway. A few months hard labour in an old style borstal would be the better option...

Yes sad the HST's have gone from the Western, though in reality some will live on in the cut down 2 + 4 sets being used on the West regional service. An iconic train which transformed Inter City travel - though of course at the time of introduction they were rather scornfully referred to as "trams" usurping the loco hauled stock. I doubt the Hitachis will be remembered so affectionately or last even half as long.

I await to see what punishment and restitution awaits these Thugs!!!

Thousands of pounds of damage was done. Pic: Market Deeping Model Railway Club Lincolnshire Police said four youths had been arrested and subsequently released on conditional bail pending investigation.
In a statement, it said: "About 0350 today (Saturday) we were alerted by a local resident that noises had been heard coming from Queen Eleanor School in Stamford and a short time later whilst we were on our way to the call, the alarm at the school activated.

"On arrival at the school we arrested four youths, who were on the premises, for burglary and criminal damage and they are in custody at Grantham.
"We are continuing our investigation and confirm damage was done to model railway exhibits which had been set up in the school for a display today."

=================================================================================================================
;) I have been a model RR since I was knee high to a Tadpole, at the age of 4 I was playing with Wood Tracks and Train set, from there to O Gauge, then HO and now to virtual in Trainz community, I read this tragedy on my phone this morning , as I have friends in Trains Clubs I visit from time to time, and donate my old items to them. As health does not allow me to do this Model Train stuff any longer.

So as for the culprits, I think a little Canning on their backsides to feel the horrific pain they have inflected on these poor folks, of which some of the damaged items will never be able to be repaired.......Would be appropriate for the Crime they committed.

:( Since they caught the ruffians in the middle of the act, there is no defense, like it wasn't us, we were never there, or any other lies they might try......What the ignorant little bad boys don't realize is this is a major crime, in my Country it is a straight out Felony, especially for the the amount of Damage done.....

Record that probably will be with them the rest of their life.If they didn't have one, they surely will now!!!!.......

I await to hear the sentencing on this Crime........I would hope his Magistrate will invoke severe and appropriate Justice for those who are affected by these lads actions..They should have to pay for the damages in some form or fashion, but I am not keen on UK laws, so I don't have an understanding on how that all works with Juveniles......

And I hope the Community will come together to help the victims out, as it appears a very sad and painful day for them.....I can't imagine their grief at this time...........

Update: Their reports that help is coming their way.........Thru a fund that has been setup for them or by them.....not sure. ;)

I wish you all good day there in UK .........

Contributions now up to £60,000.

Pretty disgusting act of wanton destruction just for the sake of it by out of control teenagers, which seems to be getting a common occurrence.
As another ex modeller I feel for those guys, much of that scratch built stuff will be irreplaceable.
Probably get let off with a fine and set free to go wreck something else.

Indeed that is upsetting. I think the best punishment for those hoser's is to but them in a room that makes loud noises echo easily,and put a 2-stroke Detroit diesel in there and run it an max throttle for 24 hours. (The 2-stoke Detroit's were also known as "Screamin' Jimmy's,",and thus I think that the old EMD engines are just oversized 2-stoke Detroit's. They also smoke a LOT.)

...Or put them in one of the most haunted places on the planet for a night. Ether one or both should teach em' a lesson. Or even BETTER:put them in a room for 72 hours and in the first hour blow up lots and lots and LOTS of Vienna sausages. And perhaps have them on a spanking machine for that entire 72 hour lesson on why you don't do vandalism.

It was said in the article that most of the members who lost years of work in a matter of minutes were heartbroken. One commented to the press that most of the members were in their later years and would not be able to repair and replace their work, it is lost and gone, along with antique engines and rolling stock that cannot be repaired or replaced and worth thousands of pounds. I feel for these people with their loss, for all the years of hard and dedicated work that cannot be recovered. I also feel revulsion for the people (I use the term loosely) that could do something like this and despair when I look around at the reminders of what a broken and worthless society we have in our country now.

Doug

Is there some way we can do something to help? Could someone create some way we can contribute via PayPal?

Tony, could N3V do this? If something like this could be set up, I'll pledge at least $100.

I know that money will never replace items that have been lost but perhaps support from the model train hobbyists of the world may help to ease some of the pain. Think how we would feel if the DLS was trashed and the backups failed.

Peter

Last edited:
This reminds me a lot of the damage done to the restored locomotives and carriages used for Downton Abbey destroyed by drunken hooligans. Thousands of pounds of damage to them.

Bill

Lunchtime today on the BBC website it was written that £84,000 had been raised including a £10,000 donation from Sir Rod Stewart, but as the model clubs chairman pointed out unfortunately money cannot replace the precious lost time. Model railways are an ageing hobby often returned to later in life but when many models have taken years to put together (examples or 10 and 25 years are given) and components have been hand made, many no longer have the dexterity to start again even when the willpower remains.

I know how gutted I've felt when mucking up or loose Trainz, after seeing the pictures I'm not sure I'd want to start again and I consider myself as one of the younger senior. I do hope however that those involved don't give up though as its likely a very interesting part of their lives, even if they teach others their skills if not modelling themselves. Peter

Last edited:
Is there some way we can do something to help? Could someone create some way we can contribute via PayPal?

Tony, could N3V do this? If something like this could be set up, I'll pledge at least $100.

I know that money will never replace items that have been lost but perhaps support from the model train hobbyists of the world may help to ease some of the pain. Think how we would feel if the DLS was trashed and the backups failed.

Peter

They have a Just Giving page set up Peter, I donated via paypal yesterday. https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/market-deeping-mrc

Thanks, Malc. Quick and simple. I have donated as I promised.

I hope that many more Trainz users will do the same.

Peter

The guilty youths have been sentenced...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-49397838

It is good to see that the Market Deeping Model Railway club have now become active in doing work with local youth groups...

"
The "enormous" amount of money raised would go to a charitable trust that is in the process of being set up, Mr Davies revealed.
One of its objectives will be to establish youth projects.
"By October we could see 60 young people involved in modelling projects they would never have done before," he said.
end quote.

Railway enthusiast Sir Rod Stewart donateed £10,000 to the group to help them.

I understand that the parents have been sentenced to pay compensation - how will they ever be able to afford it?

Ray

I understand that the parents have been sentenced to pay compensation - how will they ever be able to afford it?

Ray

It's only £500 for each of them and £1500 doesn't exactly equate to the damage and distress caused, for in some cases a lifetimes work.

Name and shame at least!

I think a community sentence is the appropriate response - making restitution to the model railway club through community service would have been a good idea. I think the youth court could have been more creative in this case.

Paul

Back