Train Slowdowns, Pauses and Creeping - Reason

boleyd

Forever, I have been plagued with weird slowdowns and stops. I have adopted the Hinton Route to do some scheduling. However, the engine simply will not leave the yard without a series of pausing, slowdowns and dead stops. Once in "open country" it works ok. If you fiddle switches, signals, track some of these events go away. Before I replaced the track I decided to try different engines. I started at with Big Steam, a cute little blue engine & tender. The darn thing just ran all through the yard with no issues. Tried a different old unit (from 2014/15 Trainz era) and it also worked smoothly, transiting the yard, smoothly, approaching the destination siding, slowing down at a reasonable distance, transiting the switch, and proceeding to the industry at a reasonable pace. In other words that engine worked in a way I faintly remember from the "good ole days". I always liked the sound of the British Rails #47 and found it also worked properly.

Obviously there should be more testing to isolate the characteristics that cause some engines to act oddly. I will leave that to others since I am going to enjoy USING TRS19.

The failing engine was a GP7 (CN). Many others also failed. From memory I believe that not all fail for the same reason but it is combinations of environment, track engine signals, etc. Plus some may never see this without the mysterious undiscovered combinations.

Just as an aside I doubled my FPS by installing a nVida 1060TI video card to replace my 1050TI. Still can't run all-sliders-max but a few can be moved up and good FPS remain. The other good thing is that it only cost $134.00(US). That old "cheapo" philosophy of always stay behind the curve and the herd.:udrool:

So far, I have found that the RVSX Vegetation Removal Train SW1500 engine operates flawlessly on the Hinton route. It slows to a reasonable speed at some switches but never to the odd excess of other engines. I do not know if this is realistic or just "not as bad". There is no publication of the rules N3V uses for various track/signal conditions that I have seen. Old engines from 2014 era never even slow down at switches. I have spent many hours messing with signals and track arrangements with this slow/stop at switches. Right now, in my system, the culprit seems to be the programming of the engines and how they respond to switches, signaling and possibly other conditions.

Maybe the crew has sent out the RVSX brush removal train first so the company can operate smoothly. :)

What I think it is it might have to do with the engine specs. It may take a lot longer for the AI-controlled trains to move after stopping for some models. To prove this, find the equivalent locomotive as the one used on the RVSX train. I think it's the same one used on by Jointed Rail models including the ones from the Amtrak MOW pack, and the Coal Country. If these work the same as the RVSX locomotive, then there's the answer.

Back