Why does my new Trainz diesel loco need Nitrogen?

narrowgauge

92 year oldTrainz veteran
I have been sitting looking at a new loco I am making and the problems I was having when I suddenly realised that it would not run without Nitrogen. Am I correct? Why is this so?

Narrowgauge

Thanks, guys. Two replies. Neither correct. I was thinking about air in the context of cooling a locomotive.

Consider this:-

The main gas in the air that surrounds us is nitrogen at about 78%. We use air to cool our computers, without the cooling effect of the inert nitrogen working as a heat dispersal medium, our computers would overheat and Trainz would not run.

You can't suggest using water cooling, the pumps that supply the water will be driven by air-cooled electric motors. This aberrant thinking was started when I was thinking about combustion engine cooling. Even the mighty US diesels are effectively air cooled and when you follow that train of thought you will find that almost everything we do relies on nitrogen gas as a heat sink.

We rely on nitrogen. Our bodies get hot, we perspire, air contact evaporates the perspiration which removes the heat.

That's it.

Peter

diesels are liquid cooled, the liquid is then air cooled.
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
I said "US diesels are effectively air cooled". The liquid transfers the heat, the radiators cool the liquid, using air (mainly nitrogen) to remove the heat from the locomotive. It is the last heat exchange that counts. I will agree that this process is commonly referred to as liquid or water cooling.

Peter

Quote "We rely on nitrogen. Our bodies get hot, we perspire, air contact evaporates the perspiration which removes the heat. Quote

:cool: Well you learn something every day, this is very interesting to know......I must need a Nitrogen fix in my body, cause I have had near death a couple of times heat stroke, Well 3x times that I never forgot about......

Unfortunately I have this cooling problem from one of my parents, and don't do well in the heat at all.....And there are others just like me in the Population that have same issue, for the normal aspirated members here, be glad you can take the heat,,,,,:(

I can take plenty of cold, used to play on Ice and Snow down in 10-20 degree range, with nothing but a t-shirt on, why others thought I was nuts to the bone....LOL....:hehe:

What I am saying if Nitrogen works in this aspect, you can't beat that type of Cooling effect......:)

:wave: Thank you for excellent overview......And well said, Heat will cook a CPU to the death, and that's called a fried CPU, very costly, I have been thru it with AMD Chips in the past..

Back