content download

Dark_Stormyx

Hello everyone, noob here.
I just have a few questions and hope you all can help me out. I just started playing Trainz and have learned quite a bit already, one thing i don't understand is the daily download screen that pops up every time I load in, it ask me to download the same thing everyday "simc:sc545" is this normal?

Also is it better to use 10m or 5m tiles while route making.

I'm sure I'll have more, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi noob,

That download screen is how Trainz is able to install any DLC (payware) content you may have purchased from the Trainz Store and how it updates the builtin content that came with the install. It is a normal part of operations.

However, that particular package update, "sc545" has been the source of a few problems. There is a thread dealing with that issue that you might read through to get some info on what is happening and what, if anything, you may need to do. The thread is at https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?152453-TRS19-Content-Fix

Which size tiles to use is all to do with level of detail in respect of scenery contour and fill, the 5m tiles give you 9 points of detail whereas the 10m points only give you 4 hence 5m tiles allow greater control over the shape of the land and the way you fill it with textures. However it comes at a cost of graphic processing in that 9 points of detail require a lot more processing than just 4. I think most members would suggest using 5m tiles adjacent to any track and 10m tiles further away where the level of detail is less important or noticeable. Once laid (and textured) tiles can be converted between sizes should you change your mind but it does seem to muck-up the texturing and more often than not you need to go over it again which on a large area can be quite frustrating. Peter

Back