Grazlash's Route Creations, Collaborations and Renovations

I ran into a little problem with the Colbinabbin branch where a creek and a major irrigation channel intersect. I was stumped to begin with and Google earth gave only a few clues, but as it was a bit of an engineering marvel there happened to be a photo online which confirmed my suspicion. They built a sump!

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

There is still a fair amount of tidying up to do around this area and I've now found a use for huge concrete wall splines.
cheers
Graeme

It looks almost real to me, Graeme.

Your creek/river bed textures look great too.

Great stuff mate. Cheers,
Roy

MORE RENOVATIONS

EAST KENTUCKY 3
The first step was to swap out the billboard trees for speedtrees, using a mix of RMM and Mcguirel trees to broaden the colour range and the route has a good cover of grass with sparse trackside shrubbery. The track was then swapped to a Samplaire track with matching PBR ballast

The next step was to make a picklist of the ground textures, as after placing PBR textures it can be difficult to select a texture for replacement from the route. When that problem is encountered, I grab the texture from the picklist and drag to the Bulk asset replace tool.

There is still plenty to be done after applying the PBR textures, updating roads, fences and spline point adjustments. I've noticed that some older routes don't take kindly to TurfFX, spreading mirrored TurfFX grass in unwanted places. I'll have to see what this one does. There are a few signals which will need adjusting or replacing and level crossings could also do with some work.
cheers
Graeme

Thanks Mick, here's another one of Andy's for you.

EVANSVILLE WESTERN RAILWAY

There's not a lot to do to renovate this route as it's excellently detailed - PBR textures, speedtrees, track and a few minor repairs are really all that's needed to having it running and looking great in TRS19.

cheers
Graeme

Yeah EVWR is another favourite too lol Actually all of Andy's stuff is nice but I don't think I recognize those area's you have worked on there.
Cheers Mick.

Those shots were coming in from the Evansville portal Mick. I found the problem with the level crossings is easy if time consuming to fix. I just need to rename all of the ATLS controllers. I also found Andy's post from when he shut down Checkrail, now that he has lifted distribution restrictions I'm happy to share these publicly when they're done. They are too good to be left to rot on the Wayback Machine.
**see post 184 in thread below
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...e-Checkrail-Thread/page13&highlight=checkrail
cheers
Graeme

Last edited:
... excellent work, grazlash ... nice to see old worlds back in new dimensions ... love your creativity, willingness and advice ...
grtz
daveric

Nice work sir! I see you've become a master of the Four Seasons. I almost expected a chorus of "Sherry" or "Big Girls Don't Cry"!

HF

Thanks Zsuda, Horace and Heinrich.

Illawarra and Mossvale WIP
I have received the route back from Taggy after he had laid track on the southern half. After an initial hiccup the route merged perfectly with everything intact.
I had a bit of time to spare this afternoon while nutting out the merging problem and decided to update the textures on a backup copy to PBR just to see what it would look like.;)
Here's the results

I reckon it came up looking alright, although if we go that way there's some textures I'd use differently.
cheers
Graeme

Illawarra, South Coast and Moss Vale WIP
or Burbs to the Blowhole and the Bush

This is an overview of the entire route, now that it is merged and updated to PBR.

It's a very large route and while the trackwork is mostly complete, I've really only scratched the surface with the scenery. Once all the textures were converted to PBR I tidied up a few things which weren't looking right.
I've added a few baseboards in the water to have a horizon rather than a huge jagged edge and sculpted a few mountains on new boards to the west.
Today I spent a couple of hours doing the remaining basic scenery around Bulli, heres a few shots

There's still a bit to tidy up around Bulli before I start working towards Woonona.
cheers
Graeme

Last edited:
Grazlash,
That route is amazing, and as you say, big! Sutherland is practically Sydney. Your shots are really great. I especially liked the ones looking down the rails towards the station.

I had to pull up Google Earth to check the actual area, as I wasn't sure exactly where it was located. Does the train line go all the way to Medway?

The merge looks really great. Very nice work!

Heinrich505

Incredible work on this route Graeme and I just love the textures. We can all learn something from what you do, thank you.

You are nailing it all the way mate.

Cheers,

Roy

Graeme is a master in Scenery.

Yes, the Map is massive. It covers virtually all of the South Coast line including the Cross Country line to Moss Vale, except Bomaderry. I do have the DEM for the Kiama to Bomaderry section but that will have to come later on.
The Moss Vale part is only for trains to have somewhere to go. It finishes a few KM's out either side. The Yard is fully laid and the Berrima Cement works is also completed. AI trains will probably run through this short area while you shunt a train from Port Kembla or service the Cockatoo Run.
At Sutherland, the Cronulla and National Park branches are also part of the map but hasn't been laid out as yet. I'll worry about that when Graeme is ready to work in the Sydney section.
I never thought when I started building this map that it would come to life so beautifully like it has. Graeme works hard on it while also working on others and his own projects as well.

It is an inspiration to all of us, that's for sure!

Looks truly amazing Graeme and Aaron. As Roy said there is plenty there to get inspiration from (the escarpment is something I am going to try).
Could you please advise what the track is being used in the shots in post #33?
Cheers and thanks.
NickE

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the nice comments.
@Heinrich505, yes the line will go to the quarry at Medway eventually.
@Roy, thanks mate, I really enjoy working with the PBR textures. There's a good selection now, but more would always be welcomed.
@NickE, the track is SAM Trk - B70 v2

I put in a few hours over the weekend, shaping terrain before plonking down a few assets and a bit of detailing. I'm working between Bulli and Woonona and it's a bit slower going than usual because of the increasingly dense urban areas.

cheers
Graeme

Back