Thread: Creating a Whistle and effects with it.

Default Creating a Whistle and effects with it.

Hello everyone, I am currently trying to make a custom Whistle for my steam train. I have every file and have it converted to wav files. The whistle works, but I can hear it everywhere, unlike other whistles that I've used and they slowly decrease in volume the further away I get. I'm trying to get that feature to work with my whistle. If anyone can give me a hand or let me know how to do it, I would much appreciate it. Also if there is a video that shows how to do it, I'd appreciate if you linked it. Thanks!

That sounds like you are using a stereo file. Directional sounds need to be mono.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    That sounds like you are using a stereo file. Directional sounds need to be mono.
    Hi Rob, You've touched on something I've been trying to fathom out for about 2 years now.

I'd set up platform and in-car announcements for my Sydney route using wav sounds.

My problem is, the sound carries completely across the route. I can be in control of one train at the far end of my route and still hear platform announcements coming from all other stations as trains arrive.

A directional sound or a restrictive sound that only travels a short distance is what I am looking for.

What would be the best format to use? And could my existing wav files be easily converted?

Cheers,

Roy

Thanks, Rob! Really helped out a lot! Now my whistle isn't heard at max volume everywhere around my route!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy3b3 View Post
    What would be the best format to use? And could my existing wav files be easily converted?
    Our newest samples are 16 bit with 44100Hz or 48000Hz sample rate but it doesn't technically need to be that high. You might like to try Audacity for editing sounds, it's quite intuitive and it's free.

6. Default

Air enters the whistle at one end. As the air reaches the other, closed end, all the air molecules "pile up" on top of each other and cause a high-pressure region. The air escapes out the little hole in the end, making the noise you hear. The frequency of the sound is dependent on the length of the whistle.