Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive/Nvidia PC Crash

Are you sure it's not just that you wore out your keyboard? Particularly the W/H/E/R/A/V/T/F/7/S/G/O/N keys?

Any opinions in this post do not reflect those of Jointed Rail

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    Like the sturdy, hinged card cages that swing out and allow access to the components underneath, plus easy removal of the drives therein
    And the HP recovery partitions for those who "lost" their installation CD's
    In theory yes, but I have found the card-cages loosen up and things don't work, and if the hard disk is dead and the long-lost CD is long-lost, then the computer never boots up cleanly without a warning message regarding the missing recovery partition. The other thing too is the user is prompted to create the partition and then everything hangs when they try, or at least it did in the past.

Their Proliant servers had some issues as well including the hot-swap bays causing boot failures or a failed RAID because they managed to loosen up. Those hot-swap carriages have an odd clam shell-type clasp that's wicked tight, always pinches fingers and causes blood blisters, but manages to pop loose anyway just enough to cause problems. Then there's the proprietary hard drives. They look like standard Seagate drives, but actually have a custom ROM on them to talk with the servers. If you replace a custom hard drive with a regular one, there are system issues.

Then there's the consumer PCs themselves. A power supply dies, but even though it's a standard AT-style, you can't replace it with an off-the-shelf part because they're every so slightly shorter so that the regular, AT-size, IEEE, ANSI-standard power supply doesn't fit. This is the same issue with the CD-ROM and other components. In the end this makes replacing components an overly expensive affair because the consumer can only replace the components from the manufacturer.
    Last edited by JCitron; May 16th, 2019 at 02:53 PM.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

Wow, karma really does deliver doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonbarno View Post
    Wow, karma really does deliver doesn't it?
    Karma has nothing to do with it, as it has been coming on for several years, and besides, my PC is not "Dead" … it's merely sleeping I can get it to fire up Trainz anytime I want, it worked last night just fine, and it ran both TS12 and T:ANE, so don't gloat over other peoples misfortunes, God will get you and your Karma

Unless you have something actually useful to offer on the topic: Parts & Labor/Hardware

gloat/ɡlōt/
    verb
    verb: gloat; 3rd person present: gloats; past tense: gloated; past participle: gloated; gerund or present participle: gloating

contemplate or dwell on one's own success or another's misfortune with smugness or malignant pleasure.
      "his enemies gloated over his death"
      synonyms: delight in, relish, take great pleasure in, enjoy greatly, revel in, rejoice in, glory in, exult in, triumph over, crow over; Moreboast about, brag about, feel self-satisfied about, be smug about, congratulate oneself on, preen oneself about, pat oneself on the back about;
      rub one's hands together;
      informal rub it in;
      archaic piqué oneself on
      "she gloated over his recent humiliation
    Last edited by cascaderailroad; May 16th, 2019 at 04:31 PM.

Absolutely shaking in my boots over here, please keep up your responses I find them very entertaining.

(Also it would be wonderful if you applied your advice regarding constructive and applicable posts to your own comments, I think most people would be very happy if you did)

P.S. I don’t enjoy other people’s misfortunes, just yours .
    Last edited by jacksonbarno; May 16th, 2019 at 04:00 PM.

Very constructive of you, what does your snide off topic comment have in relation to PC Parts & Labor/Hardware ?
    Last edited by cascaderailroad; May 16th, 2019 at 04:29 PM.

How does complaining ad nauseum about F7s and nonexistent farsical “historical inaccuracies” that have respectively been addressed and proven false countless times help anybody?

These questions and more may plague humanity for the rest of time...
    Last edited by jacksonbarno; May 16th, 2019 at 04:12 PM.

How does complaining about F7s and nonexistent farsical “historical inaccuracies” that have respectively been addressed and proven false countless times help anybody?

I’d wager about the same amount.
    Very constructive of you, what does your snide off topic comment have in relation to PC Parts & Labor/Hardware ?
    Last edited by cascaderailroad; May 16th, 2019 at 04:32 PM.

Absolutely shaking in my boots over here, please keep up your responses I find them very entertaining.

(Also it would be wonderful if you applied your advice regarding constructive and applicable posts to your own comments, I think most people would be very happy if you did)

P.S. I don’t enjoy other people’s misfortunes, just yours .
    Very constructive of you, what does your snide off topic comment have in relation to Parts & Labor/Hardware ?
    Last edited by cascaderailroad; May 16th, 2019 at 04:28 PM.

Blog Entries

So, its working again?

Paul

Must explore it more … fired right up tonight … will let you know what happens … The Forum Bullies are on the warpath even attacking in this thread

United States of America, California, San Jose
    Blog Entries

Time to pull out the motherboard, PSU, and drives. Replace with i5 9600K, associated Motherboard & RAM, add a GTX 1660ti, 550W CM 80% bronze PSU, SSDs, and Windows 10. Then, pat yourself on the back for moving into newer technology.

Make train simulators great again #MTSGA obiter dictum

By golly that just might do it … get a new PC

As you say, the video card failure probably isn't related to your existing troubles. I get at least one a month, sometimes two. The NVIDIA forum is filled with "what up with this error?" entries, but there seems to be no solution. Don't go down a false path.

Bill
    Name: Bill (CTR1, USN, Retired 1961--1980)
    User ID: 202442
    Trainzer since: 2004
    Currently using: T:ANE (build 94808)

Hard Drive/Nvidia PC Crash He came here asking for help on "Parts And Labor" and gets harassed by bullies, and attacked by personal insults
    P.S. I don’t enjoy other people’s misfortunes, just yours.
    Last edited by BD1; June 19th, 2019 at 07:48 PM.