TANE FPS VS TRS19 FPS

joshmeister

Proud Railfurz Member
With the introduction of TRS19, have the developers fixed the bad FPS issue that came with TANE? IE I could run my most detailed route with Trainz12 graphics maxed out and still get about 110 FPS, but the same route in TANE on almost all low settings will only get about 11 FPS since TANE is so hard on my GPU and 12 was more GPU. Has this been fixed in TRS 19 by chance? I'm running a GTX 1070 graphics card so I know it's more than enough to handle games like this...

Have you looked at the TASK MANAGER to see the actual percentage of usage on the 1070 during peak loads? And, while there take a peek at the PC and disc load as well. Maybe another bottleneck brewing with the IMPROVED graphics.

Last edited:
More importantly, what is your CPU in that system? I ran T:ANE with all settings at maximum using GTX 980 SC AC2.0 w/i7 4790K. Moved over to TRS19, and use a GTX1080 with the same results now.

joshmeister - the game engines and graphics demands for TS12 and T:ANE/ TRS19 are incomparable, with the latter being 64-bit programs.
I have an Asus ROG Strix GTX-1070 8Gb OC and generally find that frame-rates (on the same routes and visual quality settings) are better in TRS19 than T:ANE - and way better than TS12 - even with its truncated draw distances and poor lighting and environmental effects.
TS12 makes more demands on the CPU than it does on the GPU, whereas both T:ANE and TRS19 are just the opposite. The GPU is king in these two 64-bit programs.
In practice, I find that actual frame-rates experienced in T:ANE (Build 100544 - Release Candidate for Service Pack 4) depend hugely on shadows settings. If set to 'Ultra' at a quality setting of 4096, then you can roughly expect frame-rates to halve over the 'Medium' setting. Even so, I find that the GTX 1070 is quite capable of producing steady frame-rates in excess of 30 fps in most scenarios with every visual quality setting set to the maximum value at draw distances up to 15,000 metres.
(I get better frame rates from my GTX 1080Ti, but it is only around 22% faster on average and that is with a faster CPU with 2 more cores and 4 more threads than my quad-core i7-4790k).
You need to compare apples with apples - and frankly that is impossible with TS12 and T:ANE.
Instead, focus on optimising your performance settings for each particular route - and if needed - setting your vertical sync to 'Half' or 'Off' instead of 'Full', especially if you're running a high-resolution monitor with refresh rates above 60 Hz.
Routes and textures in T:ANE are usually much more detailed than TS12's - and shadows are far more realistic, as opposed to the pseudo-shadow generation in 12.
Draw distances are hard-limited in TS12 to 6 km (and even then that is a fudge!) whereas draw distances in both TRS19 and T:ANE extend out to 15 km and beyond.
In densely populated routes with poorly-chosen, high-poly assets and splines, I can easily bring my GTX-1080Ti to a slideshow crawl in any of these programs.
A weak CPU will do that in TS12, rendering scenes unplayable.

Have you looked at the TASK MANAGER to see the actual percentage of usage on the 1070 during peak loads? And, while there take a peek at the PC and disc load as well. Maybe another bottleneck brewing with the IMPROVED graphics.

I loaded up the Tehachapi line in TANE and on medium graphics settings it cranks my GPU up to around 95%, where as the same route in Trainz12 on max settings only uses about 20% of my GPU. But more graphic intense games like DOOM and Battle Front 2 on super max settings only push my GPU to about 30%

@pdkoester Maybe I need to just upgrade my GPU? I custom built this PC back in 2016 and trying to get all the best parts I could afford (2100 bucks total for this rig.) This is the CPU I currently have.

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz
Skylake 14nm Technology

I loaded up the Tehachapi line in TANE and on medium graphics settings it cranks my GPU up to around 95%, where as the same route in Trainz12 on max settings only uses about 20% of my GPU. But more graphic intense games like DOOM and Battle Front 2 on super max settings only push my GPU to about 30%

@pdkoester Maybe I need to just upgrade my GPU? I custom built this PC back in 2016 and trying to get all the best parts I could afford (2100 bucks total for this rig.) This is the CPU I currently have.

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz
Skylake 14nm Technology

I would expect to see better frame rates in TANE than TS12 on that machine. 95% is fine. Check the sliders especially the distance slider to make sure you haven't got everything over to the right.

Cheerio John

Back