A question abour the "Runaround" command in driver mode.

Relick

When using the "runaround" command I have noticed the Locomotives come to a complete halt about 30 meters from the rolling-stock, then accelerate to 8kph and crash shunt the rolling-stock about 5 meters along the track?

Is there a method for changing the run around halt and the excessively fast connection to the rolling-stock?

Cheers and thanks in advance for any replies.

Drive manually, just like real engine crews do, with hands on the control stand handles (it is much more satisfying)… and do not rely on AI to run at prototypical speeds

This driver command ultimately calls native Trainz functions. Those would have to be rewritten, which I doubt anyone is going to do. I use the command to set the junctions, and when the long pause occurs, I switch back to manual control.

I find that the run around command is best used for trains that are entirely under AI control where you would be unlikely to notice its antics.

I happily use this command for some of my AI trains and am generally pleased to see that it works reliably these days (if not viewed too critically for driver behaviour and drawbar durability considerations).
Agree that if passengers were boarded upon coaches being coupled to by a run-around AI loco they would indeed experience a raw deal/ rude shock!
I'm not aware of any way to mitigate the high-speed shunting event when the loco re-couples, except perhaps to set low local speed limits in the run-around area to reduce excessive speeds.

Last edited:
I am having trouble with an AI run around train derailing its train when it tries to couple with it. I am using Trainz19 (build 105096). Everything seems fine with the engine (a GWR tank) stopping about a coach's length from its train of two coaches. It then approaches the coaches like a sheep dog rounding up sheep before, unlike a sheep dog, bashing them along the track and often (but not always) derailing them. It does this at no faster than 5 mph and it has also happened when only travelling at 4 mph. It has happened with two different engines at three different stations.

All the stations are level so the engine is not running away down a slope. I have tried putting in an invisible speed limit of 4 mph in the coupling zone (making for a very weird sight as the train creeps into the station before the engine does its run around. The derailing still happens on occasions. I have also edited the session so that derailing is set to 'none'.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Last edited:
I have also edited the session so that derailing is set to 'none'.

Clutching at straws here but could it be an issue with the track where the coupling is taking place? I very, very rarely see derailing anymore and when it does occur it is either caused by incorrectly attached track, wrongly set points or by running into a buffer stop.

Is there a method for changing the run around halt and the excessively fast connection to the rolling-stock?

Don't use runaround. The AI drivers are reasonably smart, but ignorant. Give them detailed instructions.
Drive to Trackmark Uncouple (radius 2)
Uncouplez from 0
Drive to Trackmark A (forward on same track)
Drive to Trackmark B (behind train on a different track) The AI will throw junctions correctly.
Couple at Trackmark Recouple (radius 20) this will be at the end car.

It'll take a bit of moving trains around in Surveyor to know where to put the TM Uncouple and TM Recouple.

I happily use this command for some of my AI trains and am generally pleased to see that it works reliably these days (if not viewed too critically for driver behaviour and drawbar durability considerations).
Agree that if passengers were boarded upon coaches being coupled to by a run-around AI loco they would indeed experience a raw deal/ rude shock!
I'm not aware of any way to mitigate the high-speed shunting event when the loco re-couples, except perhaps to set low local speed limits in the run-around area to reduce excessive speeds.

Same for me - I use this command on a regular basis and it works fine. Would be nice if the AI wouldn't always do 5mph, but I've never had the AI break a coupler either. Odd, because they've broken on me at as little as 3mph.

I place a trackmark (Runround) some 50m along the track above the entrance to the platform.

So the train arrives at the terminus platform...
Commands are:- Uncouplez from 0; Navigate to Runround; Set DCC throttle to -0.4; Approach to train 10m, Set DCC throttle -0.15, Couple Ahead. The commands can be saved in schedule library as a sequence and applied when appropriate. The result is a slow coupling with no shunting the coaches and breaking the passengers necks!

With more powerful locos, you might want to set the Approach to train to 20m - trial and error basically.

Back