RTX GPU?

johnwhelan

Is there any advantage to the RTX line with Trainz currently or planned? I'm thinking of the ray tracing side.

Thanks John

Whilst no current version of Trainz Simulator directly supports Ray Tracing, Windwalkr and Tony_Hilliam have in the past suggested that future versions possibly might...
Even so, the underlying improvements nVidia brought to the Turing architecture mean that - even without the Ray Tracing Cores and DLSS/ Tensor Cores - these GPUs show superior performance per clock and per watt than their Pascal-based predecessors.
Whilst there are so few games out there that support Ray Tracing and DLSS right now, (and none that I'm at all interested in) I am seriously considering upgrading to an RTX 20 series card like the RTX-2070 or RTX-2080 for their demonstrably superior gaming performance over any 10-series cards apart from the venerable GTX-Titan X and some (heavily over-clocked) 1080Tis.
(Will keep my 1080Ti, but replace the Asus GTX 1070 which has provided sterling performance since its original purchase).
Despite its superb performance, I reckon the RTX-2080Ti is ludicrously over-priced, so probably won't go there unless I win lotto.
Intel have indicated that their new discrete GPUs will support Ray Tracing (which is made possible via Microsoft's DirectX platform in any event).
And AMD are making noises about the RTX capabilities of some of their proposed NAVI 7nm GPUs to boot.
Best to wait a while to see what shakes out...

Last edited:
My 1080TI is not overclocked over and above what it came with (Gigabyte Aorus) and it does just fine, runs TRS19 well and stays nice and cool ;o)

Currently or last time I checked there were only two mainstream games that support Raytracing and one of those apparently according to some reports not very well, so I wouldn't expect anything from N3V until the technology has been properly mastered by the major gaming companies. Probably prudent to wait and see what the next Nvidia upgrade brings later this year or maybe in 2020.

The RTX 2080 TI is a ridiculous price and IMO probably not really intended for gamers, more for production environments or the Benchmark obsessed.

Incidentally the 1080 and 1080TI now support Raytracing in the last two or three drivers, not very well though, what an earth were they thinking!

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...-on-gpus-it-claims-cant-ray-trace-effectively

This is somewhat interesting. https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...d-the-least-appealing-gpu-upgrades-in-history.

GTX 1660ti is what you may be after.

Could be, there is no rush though and its not that much faster than the GTX 980 I have in the back up machine at the moment.

The GTX 1050 ti I shoved in the main machine as I suspected the height of the GTX 980 might not fit seems to run well enough to test assets with. It's sort of how much horsepower do I need and if I'm going to up the GTX 1050 ti how far to up it. Get something too fast and its just dollars wasted, something too slow and that's much more expensive to fix.

I'll have to think about the requirements, always difficult to define. It looks as if ray tracing can be ignored for the moment.

Cheerio John

Back