Monitor resolution downgrade

djf55

In release 100240, TRS19 supported, in full screen mode, a screen size of 3440x1440. After updating to release 100464, this resolution is no longer available. The best available is 2560x1440.

An inquiry to the support team garnered a response that "a hard limit of 2560 wide" was imposed "due to ongoing poor performance, in particular on Mac computers and lower specification Windows computers".

The higher screen size was removed without (from what I could see) any prior notification. So much for my recent purchase of a 3440x1440 monitor and a new NVidea graphics card to run Trainz...

I understand your frustration, but even if we had made the announcement today, and not updated the build until next month, you'd be in the same position then as now.

Also mentioned in that post, it's not just about performance but also the fact that the UI does not support higher res screens leading to complaints of being unable to read the text. Here's the full post for others who haven't seen it:

Due to ongoing reports of poor performance (especially on Mac) and the fact we do not officially support resolutions higher than 2560, we have forced a hard limit of 2560. Apart from having a UI that you can now see, your performance will also be greatly improved over 3840 (with ~half the pixels being rendered each frame).

The silver lining is you've pretty much doubled your resolution (I'm assuming that your old monitor was 1920 x 1024) and with the limit of 2560 you're also getting better framerates than you were anticipating.

I'm using a 4k TV as a monitor which is at 4096 x 2160
but highest resolution in Trainz menu is only 1920 x 1440 ranging between 23 and 30hz

I'm actually a little ashamed at that reply Tony.

You are the devs, you can alter the UI to accommodate higher res. Which leads me to believe a complete UI rework cannot be done due to engine limitations. Resolutions are not getting lower, they are getting bigger.

That's a pretty poor excuse and telling a user to downgrade his res to a non-native res of his monitor is awful. It looks like crap and the image is distorted. Let the user determine if his rig can handle it or not.

Due to ongoing reports of poor performance (especially on Mac) and the fact we do not officially support resolutions higher than 2560, we have forced a hard limit of 2560. Apart from having a UI that you can now see, your performance will also be greatly improved over 3840 (with ~half the pixels being rendered each frame).

So the crying crowd who doesn't know their own machines, complained, and you just listened. Hmm. Even worse, the Mac crowd who still thinks their Mac is a gaming PC in 2019. Unbelievable.

I feel bad for OP. I myself switched from 1080p to 1440p recently. Was considering Ultrawide or 4k but the price I got for a great 1440p G-Sync was too good to pass. I'd be pissed if I was OP. Especially if one patch fine, and next patch disabled due to people who don't understand their own computers.

Guess we have to wait for the Trainz 20xx for to actually catch up with modern times. Maybe.

@big_b

You only seeing 23 and 30Hz, because that is what your TV only supports. Most older TV's don't go above 30.

If you were to plug that into a Monitor it would show 60 Hz or 144 Hz etc depending on the monitor.

Far as 1920 x 1440, that's not right, but that may be that TV and way it displays lower non-native res. Again, another reason why a monitor should always be on its native res, and for the application. Going lower than native just looks terrible and stretches the image.

Last edited:
I also bought TRS2019 because it did support 4K. Had no trouble reading the text.
I've unchecked the Full screen option in Settings and it appears to run at 3840x2160 -- haven't figured out a way to tell for sure, but the desktop icon look the same size.

Can anyone confirm that if you uncheck "Full Screen" in settings and then resize the TRS2019 surveyor/driver window to the full screen dimensions (by dragging the borders), you get your monitors native resolution?

Can anyone confirm that if you uncheck "Full Screen" in settings and then resize the TRS2019 surveyor/driver window to the full screen dimensions (by dragging the borders), you get your monitors native resolution?

Yes you can do that. That's how I run it so I can have access to other applications at the same time.

You are the devs, you can alter the UI to accommodate higher res. Which leads me to believe a complete UI rework cannot be done due to engine limitations. Resolutions are not getting lower, they are getting bigger.

That's a pretty poor excuse and telling a user to downgrade his res to a non-native res of his monitor is awful. It looks like crap and the image is distorted. Let the user determine if his rig can handle it or not.

So the crying crowd who doesn't know their own machines, complained, and you just listened. Hmm. Even worse, the Mac crowd who still thinks their Mac is a gaming PC in 2019. Unbelievable.

I feel bad for OP. I myself switched from 1080p to 1440p recently. Was considering Ultrawide or 4k but the price I got for a great 1440p G-Sync was too good to pass. I'd be pissed if I was OP. Especially if one patch fine, and next patch disabled due to people who don't understand their own computers.

Guess we have to wait for the Trainz 20xx for to actually catch up with modern times. Maybe.

@big_b

You only seeing 23 and 30Hz, because that is what your TV only supports. Most older TV's don't go above 30.

If you were to plug that into a Monitor it would show 60 Hz or 144 Hz etc depending on the monitor.

Far as 1920 x 1440, that's not right, but that may be that TV and way it displays lower non-native res. Again, another reason why a monitor should always be on its native res, and for the application. Going lower than native just looks terrible and stretches the image.
My TV's is only a few months old the latest series refresh rate is stated as 100hz in the specs
I'm running other games at 4096 x 2160 without problems
I'm pretty sure i was running Trainz at that also
Full screen option is total crap and distorted
windowed and drag the borders out and it's fine

These are the only options I'm given

My TV's is only a few months old the latest series refresh rate is stated as 100hz in the specs
I'm running other games at 4096 x 2160 without problems
I'm pretty sure i was running Trainz at that also
Full screen option is total crap and distorted
windowed and drag the borders out and it's fine

These are the only options I'm given

Hmm.. If every other games run fine, and only 19 is giving problems than I'd say its probably half N3V fault due to design choice and lack of being with modern times, as well as your TV and what res it displays and refresh rate.

You may try to right click the 19 exe > properties > compatibility > check disable fullscreen optimization

May or may not help, worth a whirl

You could also try to use NV DSR. NV Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Global Settings > DSR - Factors & DSR Smoothness

Enable what you'd like (1.5k, 2k, 2.5k etc etc etc) and smoothness (25% good start bit) and see if then Trainz can see the higher res

I understand your frustration, but even if we had made the announcement today, and not updated the build until next month, you'd be in the same position then as now.

Also mentioned in that post, it's not just about performance but also the fact that the UI does not support higher res screens leading to complaints of being unable to read the text. Here's the full post for others who haven't seen it:

The silver lining is you've pretty much doubled your resolution (I'm assuming that your old monitor was 1920 x 1024) and with the limit of 2560 you're also getting better framerates than you were anticipating.

This is 2020. This is absolutely ridiculous. Finally installed 19 on my desktop eager to get some projects out of the way and it's the usual disappointment. This should be standard by now, will there be a fix for this or is this another who gives a s*** we have your $$$ moment.

Mike

What an absolute joke this has become. Anyone responsible for 19 should feel stupid and ashamed at this point.

This is 2020. This is absolutely ridiculous. Finally installed 19 on my desktop eager to get some projects out of the way and it's the usual disappointment. This should be standard by now, will there be a fix for this or is this another who gives a s*** we have your $$$ moment.

Mike
Hi Mike
We do not currently support greater than 2560 pixels wide resolution screens in fullscreen mode. Rebuilding the UI after release is a fairly extensive exercise, and unfortunately we have not yet been able to put time into this. We hope to look at this in the future, but simply put we don't have a timeframe for this.

However you can still run Trainz at higher resolutions by unticking the 'fullscreen' option and then expanding the window to the full size of your screen. The window will automatically adjust the resolution to the size of the window relative to your screen (so on a 4k monitor, it will be running at ~4k when expanded to the full screen).

Regards

To repost from an earlier thread on this issue.

While I sympathise with those complaining about the poor(?) 4K support, [but] ... it is a matter of priorities.

There are many who want immediate fixes to the AI and to a dozen or so other issues that crop up in these forums. I can imagine their reactions if N3V devoted all the time, money and effort so that they can boast "Look at the great 4K graphics but the AI still doesn't work, the ACS couplers are still shot, there is still no decent nightmode, the sound system still sucks, etc ... but hey don't all those issues now look really great on a 4K screen!"

I add that I do not have a 4K monitor and have no immediate plans to get one - a GPU with the oomph needed to run it would have to be higher on my list of priorities before I could even consider the purchase of 4K.

Sorry, my sarcasm got away with me. Eventually I will probably get 4K - who knows. But by then I would hope to see all the other pressing issues solved first. By then it will probably be 8K monitors and the whole argument will start again.

My thoughts.

@big_b

"Even worse, the Mac crowd who still thinks their Mac is a gaming PC in 2019. Unbelievable."

The Mac isn't that great a gaming machine in many cases , I'll grant you , but I've got a 2010 Mac pro that has an 8GB RX580 and it runs trainz fine, in fact it runs Horace Fithers Bear Creek route in 2019 BETTER than my 2020 Acer Nitro with a gtx 1550 ti with 6gb on higher settings.

Furthermore , if the game is made for Mac users don't they also have a right to be able to use it so its of acceptable quality ? We already pay the same for 2019 as PC users yet we don't have access to turf fx features.I'm not defending apple as they do their best to screw up the machines as gaming units, but if you install boot camp, you can play games fine in Windows if the machine has a decent gpu , in future, the new arm processors might allow better gaming on apple products , altho I have my doubts.

"Even worse, the Mac crowd who still thinks their Mac is a gaming PC in 2019. Unbelievable."

The Mac isn't that great a gaming machine in many cases , I'll grant you , but I've got a 2010 Mac pro that has an 8GB RX580 and it runs trainz fine, in fact it runs Horace Fithers Bear Creek route in 2019 BETTER than my 2020 Acer Nitro with a gtx 1550 ti with 6gb on higher settings.

My Macs (2013 27" iMac 3.2ghz i5 and 2011 MacBook Pro) are more representative of what a Mac owner would have I would think. A 2010 Mac Pro with an RX580 is a rather rare setup I would think.

I ran '19 on both my Macs and then (partially because I also ran Windows on a VM for work related things) I went ahead and built a rather inexpensive Windows box with TRS19 in mind. I now cannot go back and run '19 on the iMac. There's no comparison. So the Pro/RX580 may work great, but I don't think most people are thinking that rig when they say that the Mac is not a gaming machine. I know I don't and I'm a Mac user since the the the Apple \\\ (pre-Lisa, post Apple II). Most who run Trainz on a Mac are going to be on an iMac or laptop and they certainly are not gaming machines. The game play is not going to be great.

Related Post (Mac mini/eGPU?)

Last edited:
My Macs (2013 27" iMac 3.2ghz i5 and 2011 MacBook Pro) are more representative of what a Mac owner would have I would think. A 2010 Mac Pro with an RX580 is a rather rare setup I would think.

I ran '19 on both my Macs and then (partially because I also ran Windows on a VM for work related things) I went ahead and built a rather inexpensive Windows box with TRS19 in mind. I now cannot go back and run '19 on the iMac. There's no comparison. So the Pro/RX580 may work great, but I don't think most people are thinking that rig when they say that the Mac is not a gaming machine. I know I don't and I'm a Mac user since the the the Apple \\\ (pre-Lisa, post Apple II). Most who run Trainz on a Mac are going to be on an iMac or laptop and they certainly are not gaming machines. The game play is not going to be great.

Related Post (Mac mini/eGPU?)

Well most windows users don't have a 2080ti with 11 gb ram do they ? which is probably what you would need to run a complex route like Bear Creek 2019 on ultra settings at 4k on a large monitor. I would guess the percentage of people who run 2019 on ultra at 4k is a fairly small percentage of the trainz user base as many of us are either old with no cash or young with no cash .
The point is , you can use some macs as acceptable gaming units , this guy just said that ANY mac is useless at gaming and that why mac users needs should be ignored. Cost of my mac pro with rx580 ?
$1500 which is precisely what I paid for my nitro 5 with 1660ti . you can pick up an old Mac pro in the US for far less.
Yes apple are rip off artists and I make no excuses for them as they seem determined to mess up their machines in certain areas, but that's still no reason to say there's no place for anyone in the mac community to be considered, which is what kilerbe implied. if i was stupid enough to buy a new mac pro to play trainz, i think it would be capable of playing the game on a 4k monitor , probably not as well as a similar PC, but that's down to many factors, if for instance Trainz was optimized for metal, who knows what it would be like ? this guy says the mac pro 2020 can run 4k games nicely ( but it does cost $15000 which is crazy )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkKCSyMqCwE

Last edited:
Well most windows users don't have a 2080ti with 11 gb ram do they ? which is probably what you would need to run a complex route like Bear Creek 2019 on ultra settings at 4k on a large monitor. I would guess the percentage of people who run 2019 on ultra at 4k is a fairly small percentage of the trainz user base as many of us are either old with no cash or young with no cash .
The point is , you can use some macs as acceptable gaming units , this guy just said that ANY mac is useless at gaming and that why mac users needs should be ignored. Cost of my mac pro with rx580 ?
$1500 which is precisely what I paid for my nitro 5 with 1660ti . you can pick up an old Mac pro in the US for far less.
Yes apple are rip off artists and I make no excuses for them as they seem determined to mess up their machines in certain areas, but that's still no reason to say there's no place for anyone in the mac community to be considered, which is what kilerbe implied. if i was stupid enough to buy a new mac pro to play trainz, i think it would be capable of playing the game on a 4k monitor , probably not as well as a similar PC, but that's down to many factors, if for instance Trainz was optimized for metal, who knows what it would be like ? this guy says the mac pro 2020 can run 4k games nicely ( but it does cost $15000 which is crazy )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkKCSyMqCwE

Hello - I agree. My comments were in general and related to "typical" users and views and not those who delve a little deeper into things. Oh, and put me in that "old with no cash" category. I'm blown away to think that if I setup a Mac mini with two 5k monitors I'd have $10k wrapped up just in monitors! (Pro Display) I typically buy refurbs from Apple store or even 4 yr old units off auction sites.

Last edited:
Hello - I agree. My comments were in general and related to "typical" users and views and not those who delve a little deeper into things. Oh, and put me in that "old with no cash" category. I'm blown away to think that if I setup a Mac mini with two 5k monitors I'd have $10k wrapped up just in monitors! (Pro Display) I typically buy refurbs from Apple store or even 4 yr old units off auction sites.

Sorry to come a year later, but just came across this heated debate, and want to say that I'm very happy running both TANE and Trainz 2019 on my new iMac with a great screen (Retina 4.5K (4480 x 2520)). Just picked up the machine by the mail office and just needed to plug it into the wall and Ethernet cable. That's what I enjoy and like about the Apple computers. It's mostly plug-and play. Or plug and work. Have a great day.
:)- - john - -

Back