Maximum Speed reduced when using multiple engines in a session- why?

davemare

I am running 8 engines that are all of the same type (2-8-0) pullng different trains. All engines are managed through AI. All engines have a max speed config set at 30 MPH. Original kuid:96914:4862 by bdaneal Medium Baldwin standard gauge 2-8-0.

I am running TANE SP3

It appears that the first 4 engines to hit a speed sign of 30 MPH will achieve that speed. However all other engines when they hit the 30 MPH zone will only travel at a max speed of 22MPH.

I have tried cloning to create a different asset with a different engine spec file, tried changing max speed config, tried delaying the start of engines at the start through a wait commend. I am out of ideas.

Has anyone found a solution or is this a SW bug or is it just this asset?

Normally, 22mph in a 30 zone would indicate they are 'seeing' an adverse signal some where ahead of them, perhaps a Yellow due to a train in front?

Trainz always does that. A distant ahead showing yellow and the speed will drop. Most of the time it doesn't worry me since the speed limit over most of my line is only 25mph, but what is annoying is that the AI reads the distant signal when it's way beyond any kind of visual distance.

A solution that has (so far) worked for me is to place an invisible signal some reasonable distance ahead of the visible signal.

So if the visible signal is yellow then the invisible signal will show green. When the consist passes the green invisible signal then the yellow visible signal will have its slow down effect.

I do Pware solution most of the time. But it should not be like that. The interaction of a yellow signal should have a radius, but as it is, that radius goes for miles. Is it so hard to chage it?

no signals

Thanks for all the ideas. However the route and session have absolutely no signals since I operate in 1901.

However using the signal anology since the 22mph is exactly the speed reduction on a yellow, and only the trains that are not leading on the route appear to be impacted;

could it be that the AI senses the next switch as a signal?
could it be that the AI senses a train somewhere in the route ahead and treats that as a yellow signal , as there are not two green blocks ahead? ( in my case a block is the route between passing sidings since the route is in the mountains)
could it be that since I have no signals, the AI is looking far ahead to sense a train?

Any further thoughts on operating AI without signals would be appreciated.

What is easy to forget is that in the pre-signal era or in the post-signal era all trains had a "builtin signal" - the driver! Her/His road knowledge was better than any AI system. The driver knew when to slow down, when to speed up, when to put the coffee on, etc regardless of what the speed signs or signals were saying.

I was reading an account of driving diesel freights over the Blue Mountains line in NSW and one experienced driver noted that if you did not start the braking process by the "big tree past a particular bend" then you had no hope of stopping for the signal.

Back