Can this game use disk D: instead?

Ekaton

I have very little space left on my laptops C: drive, would it be possible to store all the data on disk D: instead? I'm mainly talking about the addons from Download Centre.

It will run from anywhere. You can relocate your user data folder to another drive.

Splash screen Trainz settings, install and read the instructions.

Cheerio John

This does bring up a good point, when installing there should be an option of where to put the data files. I know when I was first starting with Tane and 19 I directed the install to another ssd,
I had no clue there was a second folder that defaulted to C: until I seen my M2 was about full all the sudden. This was for the Steam install, I havent tried my Trainz account versions yet.
I learned sure, but it would be great if the installer gave an option where to put assets instead of choosing for itself.

just an observation.

Clair

HI
Just to let you know that my laptop has 3 partition of the mane hard drive
C is all windows and operation files
E drive is where my trainz 2009 is installed and where i run the trainz games from
D drive is where i plan to install 2012
regards
tonny . herlev

All the addons, and anything downloaded from the DLS, will go in the user data location for your Trainz installation. But you can specify another drive for the installation if you have one. You can also specify that the program go on one drive and the user data on another.

I have four Trainz installations on my drive D: (HDD) and one (TRS19) on drive F: (SSD) No trainz so far is dependent on the Windows registry so moving them around is easy. The only gotcha is the contents of the userdata-redirect-map.txt file for TANE and TRS19 that specifies the location of the game and its data. That can be adjusted through the "install" section of the Launcher->Settings and described here: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Moving_Content Or you can manage that by editing the file if you know your way around a computer.

Trainz can be very hungry for disk space.

This does bring up a good point, when installing there should be an option of where to put the data files. I know when I was first starting with Tane and 19 I directed the install to another ssd,
I had no clue there was a second folder that defaulted to C: until I seen my M2 was about full all the sudden. This was for the Steam install, I havent tried my Trainz account versions yet.
I learned sure, but it would be great if the installer gave an option where to put assets instead of choosing for itself.

just an observation.

Clair
I'm running a Steam-installed T:ANE on a 1 TB SSD assigned as Drive H:. Steam has a built-in function to move an installed game to a different drive. The problem is that the T:ANE Settings folder defaults to your C: drive unless you use the T:ANE Settings option to put it elsewhere. If you use Steam to move Trainz to a different drive, just create a new T:ANE Settings folder somewhere on the new drive, then copy the contents from the original folder.

nfitzsimmons,
Yes sir I did all that and thank you. My point is just that I feel the installer should alert users of a second ( and very large with many add-ons ) folder and the means to install where the user desires.
Im aware that I can move it, but why waste time moving files then rebuilding your database when in say Trainz 20 they can incorperate an easier way for users to put files where they need them during the install.
I guess Im making a suggestion for upcoming versions of the game, especially so newbs ( I still am after 300 hours + I think) know about the deps folder.

Clair

I agree with you. I learned the hard way, when I reinstalled T:ANE and all of my installed content disappeared. Discovered the reinstall had created a new default T:ANE Settings folder in my 250 GB system SSD. I'd previously put my T:ANE Settings Folder on my D: drive. Pointed the new installation to that location and all was good again. But I wish they'd told me that in the beginning.

Back