Trainz 2019 & Jointed Rail Content...

I have looked through my archived download files and I do not have the individual CDP of these. They were installed as part of the content packs. If I delete the offending assets then re-install the large content CDP isn't it possible that that will overwrite other non error content which may then become corrupted? Then it could be an even larger mess.

These errors have been a problem from the day the content was installed. You'all don't support your routes for TRS19 so I didn't mention these issues.
I figured someday when you all got around to supporting TRS19 they would go away. I keep checking. But you asked so I posted them.

I am reluctant to delve into the config file etc. I have done that in older versions of Trainz and in some cases it works and in others it has made the issue worse.

I have had a love/hate relationship with Trainz for years. Especially when trying to build routes! But it is currently the only game in town for route building.
I like some of the effects in TRS19 for route building but pull out large chunks of hair.
If you texture with Shaders on Ultra some things look weird during motion. If you don't have enough VRAM to run Ultra Shaders then the height of the ground is wrong when built in Ultra then displayed in lower setting which create funky shadows. ARRRRRRR.

But I digress, TMI, Sorry.

~James~

James,

Since these are DLC, meaning from N3V's server and not from Jointed Rail, the only way to repair them is to revert to original as Shane and I have said. Unfortunately the situation with the .texture files is no longer fixable once the asset has been placed in a package. This is due to how the packaged-content works. Unlike other assets, they do not exist as separate items on your disk, and are part of a larger highly-compressed file. The assets are then referenced in Content Manager as separate items, but in reality are only decompressed for loading but are not there.

The .texture format is caused by how the program works and is not really a fault per se. These files are actually the compressed graphics files that are displayed in-game. Since the assets are referenced from an internal compressed format, these texture files are read left 'exposed' rather than in their readable format. Being an unknown format to Content Manager, but not internally to the actual program its self, they appear as faulty.

In the olden days, we could use a utility by PEV Software called Images2TGA, which did exactly that. This program converts the .texture files to TGA by extracting the image format. This works well for older assets, but there is a file format change implemented since TS12 61388 that prevents the .texture files from being converted.

In the event that reverting the assets does not work, you can delete the content of the packages folder, and perform a reinstall of your DLC. In the end, this is probably the quickest way to the end, meaning that you can be up and running again and proceed where you left off rather than fiddling around the way you are now.

So try the revert and let us know and one of us will post up the procedure for reinstalling the packages.

Hey John,
These are NOT N3V DLC. As Mentioned above. These were purchased and downloaded directly from JR site. The only one from N3V is, Legacy of the Burlington Northern v2, which I purchased as N3V DLC; which is working fine with no errors in TRS19,

Coal Country & Eagle River are from JR.

In the OLD days I used PEV software. It did work on SOME assets and actually messed up others. But some of the mess could be user error on my part. Not understanding all the nuances of the software nor assets. IMHO Trainz is a lot more of a PITA than it needs to be.
I've been Trainz from the 2009 version. As I mentioned. Love/hate.

Anyway, I commend y'all for being able to actually finish nice routes in Trainz. I have used JR freeware and payware for years. Thank you.
~James~

Last edited:
I've just had a look on the Trainz store - unfortunately Coal Country is also available as N3V DLC which may affect your version from JR.

Shane

I Don't understand why that would be an issue?
A Route is a Route is a Route regardless of where it comes from. Same assets.
~James~

It is the same assets as far as I'm aware (apart from possible KUID version differences - JR will know if that is the case) - the difference however is relating to the way it's packaged.

Shane

OK Folks this is what is happening with Coal Country for me in TRS19.
I deleted all the assets with errors. Then re-installed the content CDP and Extras.
What then showed was 13 unknown assets. I then found the unknowns in TANE as Coal Country is installed in TANE without errors.
These are the 13 which were unknown to TRS19 for Coal Country:
<kuid:175455:101308> JR Diamond River Mining Co. Truck Loader
<kuid:103475:37012> (TS12) Grass Dark Green Broad
<kuid:103475:37009> (TS12) Grass Dark Green narrow
<kuid:175455:101307> JR Diamond River Mining Co. Engine House
<kuid:103475:37011> (TS12) Grass Dry Green Broad
<kuid:175455:101318> JR DRM Co. Small Scale House
<kuid:175455:101326> JR DRM Co. Rail Scale
<kuid2:9999:921461:1> wood 11
<kuid2:283523:22050:1> Logs - Stack 4.2m long
<kuid:267178:1457> Z Rock 13
<kuid:106916:10419> Fence Wood Barrier
<kuid:9999:921460> wood 10
<kuid:9999:921463> wood 13

I exported them to CDP, one at a time and imported them into TRS19. Now Coal Country has no unknown assets but
all 13 are faulty again. Yes, I tried the Revert to Original on them again; all with no effect whatsoever.

I did re-download the Content CDP and Extras CDP from JR Site just in case my archived copies were somehow corrupt.

So I don't know how others are installing Coal Country and getting it to work in TRS19 because those 13 files do not exist
in my downloads of the complete route; bits and pieces from Jointed Rails Site.

Well I guess they must exist because it installed correctly in TANE before I installed TRS19. So for some unknown reason TRS19 in not
either unpacking them correctly or or or who knows.......it's Trainz.....it's not a Bug it's a FEATURE!

I suspect the Eagle River errors I had noted would go the same way.

~James~

Last edited:
I exported them to CDP, one at a time and imported them into TRS19. Now Coal Country has no unknown assets but
all 13 are faulty again. Yes, I tried the Revert to Original on them again; all with no effect whatsoever.
>>

I'm going to do this in all caps as it happens time and time again... "YOU CANNOT IMPORT BUILTIN OR PAYWARE CONTENT USING .CDPS FROM ONE VERSION OF TRAINZ TO ANOTHER".

Not that I've got that off my chest :) I'll address the original problem.

TANE has builtin content, TRS19 has different builtin content. TANE DLC packages should not be copied to TRS19 as there will be items missing.

The process as simple as installing the TRS 19 Coal Country packages.

However, due to you already having attempted to bypass that step, you need to uninstall your current Coal Country packages, rebuild your db, then install the TRS19 version using the in-game downloader.

NOT to be rude; I will NOT be using all caps.
I suggest you read all of the posts before making ass-umptions!!!
NO steps were originally bypassed when Coal Country nor Eagle River were installed in TRS19.
Read the Tread. Instead of jumping in at the bottom!
You might want to consider getting off your high horse with your caps lock key before you fall off and hurt yourself!
Now that that is off MY chest! I'm going to go work on my current route in TRS19.
Have the best rest of the night/day/evening you can.
~James~

Last edited:
Out of curiosity- what kinds of content from our site is not working in TRS19? Only a couple people on the team actually use it, but it would be good to know what kind of content is being broken by the latest version of the game.

Well, from what I downloaded directly from the JR website, the below items show up in Red Text in Surveyor with no illustration of the item sample displayed below when each line item is highlighted;

52ft Gondola's (ATW, BNSF 1, BNSF 2, CEFX 1, CEFX 2, HBRX 1, UB)

57ft Spinecars A, B and C

57ft Spinecars 3_Pack

Spinecar 5_pck Dirty

Spinecar A, B, C, D and E Unit's Dirty

UPFE PCF 57' Reefer White Dirty

I haven't downloaded anymore content into TS19 from JR because I've not been too happy with all the "missing deps" errors I keep getting, and this is despite downloading ALL Dependencies first. I'm very careful to check this first before posting.

On a side note, the 50ft and 60ft HC and Standard dimension Box cars (ACF, etc) all come up with unknown KUID errors in TS12 too and don't show up in Surveyor even with relevant load Deps, see my separate post on that mystery!

I haven't downloaded anymore content into TS19 from JR because I've not been too happy with all the "missing deps" errors I keep getting, and this is despite downloading ALL Dependencies first. I'm very careful to check this first before posting.

Ensure that all components are submitted. Once you've installed third-party assets regardless of the source, check open for edit and revert any open assets to original.

If you tell us what's missing and or faulty, perhaps we can help.

Hi John,

The Third Party dependency which was missing came down to something called Cast Iron 42" Pipe 50ft' Long, which I found on the TPR website. This cleared all the 52ft Gondolas. The 57ft Spinecars I gave up on, but the addition of the 58ft Containers from socalwb909's website resolved the Spinecar 5-Pack asset.

JR's many and varied ACF 50ft Box Cars and 60ft HC's are all deemed faulty due to two missing deps called White/ Grey Paper (Bleached). Both of these being considered faulty assets in TS12. The frustrating thing is that so many loads are required and if only one or two are faulty then the whole asset is useless...

Hi John,

The Third Party dependency which was missing came down to something called Cast Iron 42" Pipe 50ft' Long, which I found on the TPR website. This cleared all the 52ft Gondolas. The 57ft Spinecars I gave up on, but the addition of the 58ft Containers from socalwb909's website resolved the Spinecar 5-Pack asset.

JR's many and varied ACF 50ft Box Cars and 60ft HC's are all deemed faulty due to two missing deps called White/ Grey Paper (Bleached). Both of these being considered faulty assets in TS12. The frustrating thing is that so many loads are required and if only one or two are faulty then the whole asset is useless...

This is actually repairable...
What's the actual error with the commodity? It could be something as simple as an incorrect texture type causing the error. Please copy and paste the error here so we can see and help. You can do this by highlighting the text in the error message and pasting it here.

OK, the errors I am seeing are as follows;

Error: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'file guts/rollbrown-rollbrown.texture'.
Error: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'file guts/rollnormal-rollnormal.texture'.

The above relates to;

Faulty: Paper Roll (Bleached) - <kuid:206307:100410>
Faulty: Paper Roll (Pulpboard) - <kuid:206307:100409>

OK, the errors I am seeing are as follows;

Error: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'file guts/rollbrown-rollbrown.texture'.
Error: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'file guts/rollnormal-rollnormal.texture'.

The above relates to;

Faulty: Paper Roll (Bleached) - <kuid:206307:100410>
Faulty: Paper Roll (Pulpboard) - <kuid:206307:100409>

Easy fix:

Install PEV's Images2TGA from here:

http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php?page=pevsoft-trainz-tools

Once installed:

Go into Content Manager
Open up one of the faulty assets for editing

Run PEV's Images2TGA.

Within the application, browse to the open for edit asset (It's in a File Explorer window).
Open up the .texture.
Click File
Click Save_As (Keep the same name, this changes the format).
Close Images2TGA.
Back in Content Manager, right-click on the open-for edit asset and choose Submit.

Repeat for the other faulty asset.

Thanks John. I'm going to risk sounding like a bit of a tool here, but can you send me some kind of screenshots of exactly what needs to be done during this process? I tried following your guide above and whilst it might be easy for you, it isn't for me as I've never used PEV's Images2TGA at all....ever, guess I've been somewhat lucky over the years! I'm sure when I tried I might have come close but I got lost several times and gave up. I don't muck around with Texture files and am thinking that one has to be a bit of an expert at coding, etc to be able to get this right. Should I get in touch with Shane T?

Sorry to be a pain. :(

I tried following your guide above and whilst it might be easy for you, it isn't for me as I've never used PEV's Images2TGA at all.
The two assets you have mentioned are built-in, so it is likely that the process won't work - Images2TGA processes the .texture file, but the TGA file and the .texture.txt file are not created.

In that case it is easier to create the image files from scratch, using the displayed .texture files (eg, in AssetX) as a template. Then create the .texture.txt file manually. See:
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Texture_file

I agree with SailorDan if it's built-in content as the textures are often encrypted which Images2TGA will not process (it produces a blank message box).

Shane

Hey Shane/ John,

Tonight I have been trying to get some of these Boxcar assets to work in TS12 again. Not all of them appear to be TS12 SP1 built-in content though, most were downloaded via JR's website as freeware, the Boxcars requiring the loads by Yukonzoom which CM v3.7 says are faulty are those created by 22alpha, socalwb909, NorfolkSouthern37, up8328, Yukonzoom and simulatortrain.

When I looked through the DLS I found that with each of the listed faulty kuids for each load, there was another kuid with a very similar number underneath each of the faulty ones. These other kuids downloaded fine with this version of Trainz and so did not appear in Open for edit like the faulty ones did. Just as an example;

Charmin Paper Towels <kuid:206307:100402> shows as Faulty
Charmin Paper Towels <kuid:206307:100403> is not shown as being Faulty

The other three Loads all have very similar alternative kuid's available. Sadly each of the Boxcars still require the Faulty Load version to be complete but then don't show in game because of these faults. I was really hoping that using the alternate kuids for each faulty load might resolve the issue. Is Yukonzoom still in the game these days? Do you have a contact email for YZ? Maybe there is nothing I can do now if Images2TGA is out. I've had to resort to using alternative Boxcars from RRMods and NARM. RRMods content while good does lack the shadow at track level and weathering. Odd thing is that these assets are supposed to work in TS12 according to JR's website. They did work fine in TS2010 though.

Pity you cannot run these assets in game as MT's (Empties) without any loads - this is what really annoys me about Trainz sometimes.... ahhhh well, enough venting for now. I'm off to the roundhouse for some slumber.

Goodnight.

Cheers

I'm bumping this thread because I have a problem with VR Stockyard Cattle Fence in 2019 by s301. The dependency VR Stockyard Mesh Library is faulty with texture errors that can't be fixed with the PEV tool. The errors make the fence not work so it will be invisible on the route that is calling for it. There is no easy way to replace the fence with something that works in 2019 short of knowing where the fence is on the route and manually laying new fence. The route is the updated Dry Brook & Esopus Valley for 2019. The VR fence asset is not on the DLS and it shows up as payware. It works in TANE. I just want to make the exclamation point go away in the thumbnail of the route in the route list in 2019 and I want the fence to show up in the route.

Back