For Trainz users is time on the forum more significant than actual Trainz gameplay?

I spend most of my time building assets. I do spend a few hours a week driving my locomotive, but I quickly get aggravated, in every session, when an A.I. Train ahead has control of a switch that prevents me from going through the bypass track.

Then, here's what all I must do to continue playing: I have to stop my train--- move ahead down the track and find the A.I. Train that has the switch blocked--- Stop the A.I. Train--- throw the switch--- move back to MY train--- move on down the line (after re-opening the windows and resetting everything I had initially set up... seems when you leave your train for any reason, then return, everything resets to default)--- then after I am past the A.I. Train, I have to AGAIN leave My Train and go click on the A.I. Train and instruct it to "Continue Schedule"--- then go back to my train again and continue down the line. This is ONE HUGE HASSLE and one main reason I get so frustrated playing Trainz. I don't suppose N3V really cares whether we play Trainz, build routes in Surveyor, or surf the Forum, as long as we continue to buy the Trainz versions. But there should be something we can click on, set-up, instruct, or SOMETHING, whereby USER Trains have priority over A.I. Trains. It would make my game playing so much more enjoyable.

Dave Snow

I generally check the forums morning, after work, and evening. I like to see what issues come up, and if I can help anyone with an issue, or get ideas for issues I have, such as fixing or finding assets or whatever. I also like to see what the content creators are coming up with on the freeware forum, and screenshots people are coming up with on the Screenshots forum. Being a working stiff, I am afraid I spend more time fixing assets and looking for missing assets than actually driving Trains. My route building efforts are pretty much at a stop until I get more time.

I spend most of my time building assets. I do spend a few hours a week driving my locomotive, but I quickly get aggravated, in every session, when an A.I. Train ahead has control of a switch that prevents me from going through the bypass track.

Then, here's what all I must do to continue playing: I have to stop my train--- move ahead down the track and find the A.I. Train that has the switch blocked--- Stop the A.I. Train--- throw the switch--- move back to MY train--- move on down the line (after re-opening the windows and resetting everything I had initially set up... seems when you leave your train for any reason, then return, everything resets to default)--- then after I am past the A.I. Train, I have to AGAIN leave My Train and go click on the A.I. Train and instruct it to "Continue Schedule"--- then go back to my train again and continue down the line. This is ONE HUGE HASSLE and one main reason I get so frustrated playing Trainz. I don't suppose N3V really cares whether we play Trainz, build routes in Surveyor, or surf the Forum, as long as we continue to buy the Trainz versions. But there should be something we can click on, set-up, instruct, or SOMETHING, whereby USER Trains have priority over A.I. Trains. It would make my game playing so much more enjoyable.

Dave Snow

I do have to agree about that Dave as it's the thing that annoys me most as well.

Dave Snow

Please try the Track View Rule by KlausM (http://www.malorny.de/vrails/dl-trainz.jsp). It is running fine since more than 15 years in all Trainz-Versions :)
Pros: You can toggle switches in front of you, blocked by AI-controlled-trains.
Cons: Sometimes the consist is loosing the connection to the rule. Mostly it will resume the connection later.
It may be, that the configuration of the rule is restricted because of the age of the rule, but toggling the switches is running fine.

Regards
Swordfish

Please try the Track View Rule by KlausM (http://www.malorny.de/vrails/dl-trainz.jsp). It is running fine since more than 15 years in all Trainz-Versions :)
Pros: You can toggle switches in front of you, blocked by AI-controlled-trains.
Cons: Sometimes the consist is loosing the connection to the rule. Mostly it will resume the connection later.
It may be, that the configuration of the rule is restricted because of the age of the rule, but toggling the switches is running fine.

Regards
Swordfish

Doesn't work in TRS2019. I get the error: - <kuid2:39730:61000:2> VE52: The Tag 'trackview-defaults' is not permitted within a container of type 'behavior'.

I've been spending very little time on the forum lately, more time trying to get a route project going whether in Trainz, MSTS or DTG-TS.

Strange :confused:

I will send my config.txt to you, if you are interested in. Perhaps there are some differences between the two config.txt.

Regards

Swordfish

Delete the trackview-defaults container in the config.txt. The same defaults are defined in the script.
Code:
trackview-defaults {
    refreshperiod                    1
    dyndistance                    "false"
    distlimitfixed                    1500
    distlimitlow                    500
    distlimithigh                    2000
    speedlow                    2.77778
    speedhigh                    22.2222
    blockingswitchesonly                0
    showtrackmarks                    1
    showforwardingtrackmarksonly            1
    showtriggers                    0
    showsignalnames                    0
    miledisplay                    2
    mileunitlimit                    365.76
    nonlinear                    0
    posindex                    0
    positions {
        count                    2
        0 {
            xref                "left"
            x                0
            yref                "top"
            y                44
            width                236
            height                300
        }
        1 {
            xref                "right"
            x                0
            yref                "bottom"
            y                100
            width                183
            height                300
        }
    }
}
Peter

Maybe its because I'm new and trying to learn as much as I can but I visit the forums multiple times a day usually.
I enjoy seeing what you folks all create, so many talented people who aren't the devs its fun to see what you all
come up with. Sure there's modding in other games and I even have a modest Steam Workshop for Planet Nomads, but
most aren't the caliber of work we find here here. Btw, I did manage to build a working train in PN, boy was that a
pain as the devs never figured some nut would try to replicate a railroad in a mostly spacey ship kinda game. But then
I made a battleship too, and there's no enemies in game.... Hahahaha

My favorite part in game is sessions I can find, but I do spend more time cruising the forums ( and much more chasing down
dependencies ) than I do in game. Kinda like Pware said, I like the social aspect of the forums.

Clair

I leave the forums on most of the time as I have multiple PCs so I can keep an eye on what's happening or not! while content creating and route building or running sessions etc.

The asset is a rule. Add it as a rule to a session and you will see it in Driver high in the left corner of the screen.

Regards
Swordfish

The asset is a rule. Add it as a rule to a session and you will see it in Driver high in the left corner of the screen.

Regards
Swordfish

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I THINK I added it as a rule to the session, but it's still not showing up.

davesnow - In session edit mode, go to 'Edit session rules' (top left), Add Rule (bottom left), Select Trackview Rule (to add it to the session rules list) then select the Trackview Rule in the list to 'Edit' the rule. Change the settings to suit your requirements. (Suggest experiment to find the parameters that best suit your particular session).
I just used this rule again for the first time in TRS19 after installing the rule that I used frequently in T:ANE.
Delighted to say that it works well in TRS19 too!
Note: It does have a 'stealth mode', so that the transparent linear display of the track ahead can be collapsed/ reduced to a single, small icon when desired to remove screen overlay clutter.
Perhaps yours has defaulted to this mode? To fix, simply click on the icon with your mouse to reveal the trackview overlay.

Last edited:
davesnow - In session edit mode, go to 'Edit session rules' (top left), Add Rule (bottom left), Select Trackview Rule (to add it to the session rules list) then select the Trackview Rule in the list to 'Edit' the rule. Change the settings to suit your requirements. (Suggest experiment to find the parameters that best suit your particular session).
I just used this rule again for the first time in TRS19 after installing the rule that I used frequently in T:ANE.
Delighted to say that it works well in TRS19 too!
Note: It does have a 'stealth mode', so that the transparent linear display of the track ahead can be collapsed/ reduced to a single, small icon when desired to remove screen overlay clutter.
Perhaps yours has defaulted to this mode? To fix, simply click on the icon with your mouse to reveal the trackview overlay.

Okay, I got it to work now. Thank you

I spend most of my time in surveyor and normally just quickly duck in and out of the forums in the morning, then in the evening for a catch up.

Back