Curious about real life lashups

headmonkeyboy

Hi guys,

I just got to thinking and that got me wondering... Is it possible or even normal for US railroads to use a mix of EMD & GE engines
together to pull one train? Id suppose its all software controls these days but is there incompatablities between the manufacturers?

Thanks,

Clair

I see SD70s and 90s lashed together with AC4400s/Dash-9s/GEVOs on the Union Pacific fairly regularly. Canadian Pacific used to run a train through here that would usually have an AC4400, an SD40 and an MP15 on it, but that was 10-12 years ago (when I was first getting into Trainz, as a matter of fact)

I'm not sure if different makes and models of locomotives can be operated together unless their engines, traction motors, control systems, and gear ratios are same.

If I recall correctly there was an issue with mixing GE AC-traction motors with EMD DC-traction motors but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Thanks guys, I figured there might be some incompatablities but Im sure some engineer somewhere has gotten a handle on it too. So many interesting things to learn
getting into this game series. :)

Clair

Back