External HD

ess1

I have an external hard drive that I would like to backup TS 19 & perhaps Thane using either direct move of folder/s or using latest Acronis backup programme.

Is this feasible, any pitfalls?

Had trains in its many formats but still a complete duffer enjoying creators, of which there are many:D

Appeciate advice.

regards,

ess1

Last edited:
Backing up anything is a wise move, the only down side seems to be getting into the habit of doing it and the time it can take as even the best external drives are relatively slow. The likes of Acronis can be set up to automate the process but whether you chose to do it manually or automatic its prudent not to keep overwriting the same backup but to make a number of them before deleting the oldest that way should an update or asset bring down Trainz you can always step back and recover your work.

Personally I don't backup 'Trainz' as a whole but at the end of each session just export my routes and sessions as a combined .CDP file saved to a USB stick which takes less than a minute. Should I suffer a crash I would need to reinstall Trainz from scratch and again download all those assets from the DLS but a fresh start can have its advantages. Should you opt for this method a word of warning however, you will need to have saved copies of any assets, payware etc. you have collected from anywhere other than the DLS. Peter

Back