New computer / cpu's

DESDICHATO

Hi,

It has been a number of years now since I last had my ts12 running and I am looking at getting a laptop to run it on but while I have the min and max spec's on the box, I have no idea where the more modern cpu's fit in the scheme of things as all the computer outlets seem to use numbers (I7-7750) now and not a speed. I have been unable to find anything on the site to help me.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks

DESDICHATO - TS12 has reasonably modest hardware requirements and still prefers to have a reasonably strong CPU in the i5 or i7 class (from Intel) or an AMD Ryzen R3 or R5 processor running at 2.5Ghz or faster.
Since TS12 is still only a 32 bit program, you won't benefit from having more RAM than 8Gb on your laptop (but your other programs - and Windows - most certainly will). The program itself can only address about 4Gb of random access memory.
TS12 tends to be more CPU-centric than T:ANE or TRS19, which are definitely more GPU-centric - though the faster your graphics card the better.
TS12 will only utilise a couple of CPU cores, but appreciates a fast clock-speed, so look for a CPU with cores running at 3.5Ghz and above.

Many new laptops are about to receive excellent new, multi-core CPUs from both Intel and AMD.
If you get one with a dedicated GPU with 2Gb or more of VRAM (in addition to the onboard integrated GPU) it will allow you to consider upgrading to T:ANE or TRS19 which are demonstrably superior in almost every respect to the now-aging TS12.
Certainly worth thinking about it... :)

Last edited:
Two weeks ago the PSU in my i7-8700K machine gave up the ghost with sparks and bangs and not being able to borrow the PSU from my second machine (AMD Phenom II x4 960T) as its a bit under-powered and used for everything else including a Trainz backup machine decided to move the 1070Ti graphics card from the i7 to the AMD while waiting for the replacement PSU to arrive.

The AMD is a old CPU which I think I purchased for TS12 but now I am undecided if I should be pleased or disappointed with the results. Running T:ANE on either machine with the 1070Ti graphic card fitted, I had to be ultra critical to tell any differences in performance for the same settings. Unfortunately this might suggest either that the AMD is still very much fit for purpose and better than I have ever imagine; or my gaming set-up is a lot to be desired; or, and more likely, as has been mentioned in The Forum many times don't waste your money on top end CPU but put the funding into the graphic card as its visual results not mine goes quicker than yours when it comes to Trainz.

As for the smoking machine it's back up and running thanks to a new Corsair 750 PSU. Peter

Last edited:
TS12 uses more CPU and less GPU than TANE. Having said that most systems these days get better frame rates on TANE. The critical bit is the GPU and TANE will run on series 4000 intel integrated graphics or at least Middleton for laptops will run.

An Intel 620 integrated graphics is about the most powerful GPU available on a mainstream CPU and I'd probably go for that one on a laptop. If you have room for a desktop then gpus are cheaper. It is possible to buy laptops with better GPUs a GTX 1050 TI is about the lowest I'd recommend and a GTX 1060 is considered more mainstream.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php lists the GPUs, you can sort them by performance. a 4000 rates 456, a GTX 1050 3926, an intel 620 1045.

An i5 or i7 isn't so important, the speed on the CPU again isn't so important. It is but you won't see much real difference between an i5 and a top of the line i7 or i9.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/ might be helpful.

Cheerio John

Just a little food for thought, the absolute best performance option to have is a rather large SSD drive. 12, Tane, 19... They all load within 2 seconds from clicking start on my machine.
Newegg often has 1tb SSD's for roughly $100 US. Having all your assets on SSD really makes a difference in load times for routes ect as well. So, definitely look for a laptop with an SSD
or at least room to add one, especially for 12 as those in game pauses to load assets almost completely disappear.

Clair

Hi,

It has been a number of years now since I last had my ts12 running and I am looking at getting a laptop to run it on but while I have the min and max spec's on the box, I have no idea where the more modern cpu's fit in the scheme of things as all the computer outlets seem to use numbers (I7-7750) now and not a speed. I have been unable to find anything on the site to help me.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks

As you state you looking for a 'laptop'. I have three, all three have SSD drives, all have i5 or better, all have Win10 Pro, all have lots of RAM, but the one that 'Rings the Bell' and is the winner is the one that has a seperate GPU (two video cards/chips). It is a Dell with an internal Intel video card on the motherboard, and a seperate GPU, NVidia GTX960m . Again, if you are looking for a laptop, the 'extra' GPU will make you very happy.

My recommendation is a laptop with a separate high end NVidia GPU onboard. The GPU for TANE and TRS19 are a must. The rest is just flavor.

Back