Trainz Plus Beta 100308 (Mac) and 1000309 (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
Patches have been released for Mac and PC. This is a two step patch from 100134/6 to 10308/9.

There haven't been a huge number of changes as we prepare for the official release, so lots of the work is build related (precaching steps etc).

User-facing updates include a fix for the memory leak issue (please let us know if this has resolved your slowdowns over time) and laying track across baseboard edge no longer creates a "dead zone".

There have also been some under-the-hood camera fixes and a fix for camera reset position after exiting tunnels.

All users - the Ctrl-mousewheel to change FOV in Driver is fixed but just missed the cut-off for this update and will be in the next update.

Mac users - the issue with mouse cursor in surveyor (rotate, move etc) has also been fixed but just missed the cut-off for this update and will be in the next update.

The performance is still stuttery compared to 98592 using the same route and same graphics settings.

The CPU is at 42% max and the GTX1080Ti is no more than 40% utilized. The temps on the GPU vary a bit, but are around 47-60 C max.

There are also "big" pauses when consists are sent out of portals.

It was quite late when I was running the initial test and will run things again today and report more on the framerates and other details now that I am more awake.

I ran my five train on five track circles for 4.5 hours and it stayed at 60 fps, so it's looking good so far. I'll try a large route with a lot of objects today.

Still getting some stuttering. It gets really bad when there are a lot sounds, i.e. activating horn while going over switch points, near a crossing with the crossing bell is activated, while increasing the throttle.

-JJ

I also noticed a lot of stuttering with sounds playing. Some times the crossing bell ticks a bit of static noise on each ring of the bell.

Instal Trainz Plus 100309 went well.
Followed by Auto DBR that lasted ~ 5hrs. Note CM stats below.
Visually looks good on 35in monitor at HD 60Hz with dual GTX780ti,i7 CPU and 32GB RAM with all HDs having 32GB pagefiles. Second monitor in use has Excel running.
Latest WIN 10 Pro on insider ring. Latest nVidia driver.

Performance Settings:

Shadow quality High
Main shadow resolution 2048
Shader quality Standard
Texture detail Normal
Post processing High
Water quality High
Detail scenery Clutter + TurfFX
Antialiasing 4x
Detail update rate High
PhysX selected
Behind camera selected

No stuttering at speeds ranging from 25-54fps with no Vsync full window.
I have done very little so far to assess other features in Surveyor/Driver.

No sound at all initially, but occurred after re-load of Trainz Plus.

CM stats @ 19 Apr 19 09:00 NZST - Derived partly from default filters but also from a comprehensive range of custom filters:

TAD 483,613

BI - ALL 34,855 - Includes DLC from vault as GOLD member.
BI - OBS 621 - Rapidly increasing. Presumably N3V cleanup and transfer to DLS.
BI - OOD zero
BI - PAYWARE 4,991

DLS - ALL 144,227
DLS - OBS 143,622
DLS - OOD zero
DLS - PAYWARE 585
DLS - DELTA 20 - Presumably stuck items on DLS.

LOCAL - ALL 298,179 Excludes BI
LOCAL - OBS zero I deleted local obsoletes so these appear in DLS - OBS.
LOCAL - OOD zero
LOCAL - PAYWARE 4

DISABLED 230 - Assets considered dangerous to DLS and/or AssetX and likely to cause CTD or access violation. Under assessment to weed out any that may now be OK.

FAULTY - ALL 2,493 - Does not include faulty dependencies (FD) or missing dependencies (MD).includes:

CRAP 997 - Assets that are similar to but not verified as CRG unfixables. Includes missing meshes and/or textures, and items beyond my ability to repair generally needing creator repair such as FAULTY - POLY.
FAULTY - AUTHOR BUGOR 528 - Most of these are over 5yrs old, despite BUGOR being active in other areas, so unlikely to be fixed. Mainly caused by invalid mesh-asset calls to libraries.

This next group of stats vary wildly depending on latest downloads or my repairs. Mostly affected routes and sessions.

FD 1,023
MD 3,673
has both FD & MD 13,059

WARN - ALL 151,283 - Contains many warnings of bad POLYS and lack of LOD so assets trainz-build limited (tbl) to either original TB or no greater than TB 3.7 to avoid FAULTY designation if UPVERSIONED to TANE and TRS19.

The current %spread of assets by trainz-build - includes obsoletes:

LEGACY - TB 1.0 to TB 3.4 -147,771 (30.64%)
TS12 - TB 3.5 to TB 3.7 313,037 (64.75%)
TANE - TB 3.8 to TB 4.5 19,168 (3.97%)
TRS19/TRAINZ PLUS TB 4.6 (0.74%)

TOTAL above TB 3.7 22,667(4.7%)

Note:

1. The majority of assets were transferred from TANE by cdp batches, rather than by folder, to preserve previous repairs and stats.
2. Some direct transfers were aborted because assets were 100MB+ and were downloaded from DLS then reprocessed in TARDIS 2019 (import cdp size limit is 2GB ).
3. There are >3,500 assets removed from DLS for COC violations.
4. The majority of trainz-build limited (tbl) assets cannot be UPVERSIONED to TANE or TRS19 without becoming faulty. Includes LEGACY aliased and paintshed assets as well as assets that have no UPVERSION path such a tags chunky and divider.
5. Number of FAULT - FREE assets according to CM ~327,244 (67.7% TAD), but note some are visually impaired (eg wrong bogey; excessive z fighting, missing running numbers).
6. During investigations I sought advice concerning mesh libraries becoming faulty if tag 'auto-create' was set to 1. Chris advised to set to 0 and this fixed this issue. However, this raises another possible issue with container 'shadow' in mesh-tables. If set to 1 it can cause z fighting with main mesh whereas if set to 0 it doesn't, but won't that make the shadow invisible.

Worrying trends:

1. As assets are REPAIRED and reloaded to DLS at minimum upload TB in accordance with N3V Life Cycle Policy or UPVERSIONED, some dependencies are now at a higher TB than the main asset. eg Bogey or coupler is now builtin and TB 4.6, maybe as result of DLC, wheras previously TB 3.6 to a loco or rolling stock at TB 3.7. This has a flow on effect to routes, sessions, and KIND traincar assets.

Recommendations:

1. N3V review existing obsoletion rules, particularly as they affect dependencies.
2. Trainz wiki explanation on use of tag 'auto-create' needs clarification on how to set it under all likely uses.
3. Fix bug in Sound. Others have broken or intermittent sound. I had no sound at all in Trainz Plus 100309 initially but appeared after reload Trainz Plus.
4. Ability to save custom keywords outside of assets.tdx as we used to in legacy Trainz.

Last edited:
I just don't get it, the beta version gives me 25fps and the retail version gives me 60-70 fps with the exact same settings. i worked in surveyor a few hours when i exited back to the main screen the beta crashed to desktop and closed
completely. during route building i haven't had any major issues outside of the low fps and the stuttering is still there. i will report more today, as i have more time.

I just don't get it, the beta version gives me 25fps and the retail version gives me 60-70 fps with the exact same settings. i worked in surveyor a few hours when i exited back to the main screen the beta crashed to desktop and closed
completely. during route building i haven't had any major issues outside of the low fps and the stuttering is still there. i will report more today, as i have more time.

I have seen the drop in framerates also with all settings the same and the route being the same. In fact it's a duplicate of my retail-version content-wise.

Last night I ran a precache manually using TrainzUtil precache and let it run overnight.

EDIT:

The precache process helped! The FPS are a bit lower compared to the retail build, but they are more consistent. In previous beta tests, they ranged from as high as 46 to as low as 10. In this I see 30s down to 15.8 in the worst places. the good news is this is content related and not the game, I don't think, because the framerate drops are consistent in the same places every time, and not a random drop with a lag. Unlike prior to the precache operation, trains emitted from the portals no long cause the big stutter that was so apparent earlier.

I will continue to test, however, to look for other things that will affect the performance.

Last edited:
Anxious for the MAC mouse fix, Rotation of object is painful tedious. You have to find the rotation point and it does rotate. Spline objects I have not been able to rotate (traffic stopper placement) I cannot drag an asset into the pick list and sometime will place lots of those objects on the screen as I move my curse to the pick list. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. Thanks for fixing the blank screen issue. MAC system updates TURNED OFF.

Got a couple of Assertion errors:

1) Occurred during a driving session. The AI driver stopped at a station and refused to move. I attempted to do a stop and continue, but that didn't work. I then pressed pause, waited a few seconds, then unpaused when this popped up:

4rbsRqg.jpg

2) After quitting to the desktop these came up on exit.

Z6pfR2x.jpg

and

Wk502EO.jpg

When hitting continue this final time, there were no errors finally.

Thought this was fixed in a previous build..... Problem: my train is approaching a tunnel using the chase camera set so the horizon is about a third of the way down on the screen, entering the tunnel the camera correctly goes into "tunnel mode." On exiting, the camera goes above the top of the tunnel mountain and then attempts to reset to the same position it was in previous to entering the tunnel. Last night I ran that area "hands off" repeatedly entering/exiting the tunnel (there was no interaction from me) and saw the chase camera migrated to a high point above the train at around 60 - 70 degrees pitch down each time it left the tunnel.

I think what you are seeing is that the camera will not penetrate the ground, so if your camera is ahead of the train, as you enter the tunnel slowly you will see that the camera slides up the mountain. Then when you exit it remembers the higher elevation point. Please confirm if this is what you're seeing.

Yes, I set up the chase camera outside of the tunnel by clicking the lead loco and then it's "hands off" from there. It goes to "tunnel mode" then at exit, rises and pitches down with the terrain at tunnel exit. I expect it to eventually adjust to where it was before entering the tunnel (when the train exits far enough to be out of the influence of the exit terrain.)

Tony, never mind! I rechecked it today and the chase camera remained in it's starting position, even after running it through two different tunnels for over 5 hours. Not sure what happened yesterday, but I was running five trains so probably got something mixed up.

The patch to the final release candidate (non-assertions build) is now available - see new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back