Kuji Rail sim release date Friday 5th October 2007

Hi, Good Old Lancie. Please, open the poll... I'm eager to click :hehe: Which colour? Who knows?

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=17434

Alberte :wave:

Edit: Voted and greened
bar1.gif

:p Auranites shouldn't vote... :hehe:

Last edited:
RS Forum appears to be an everlasting source of funny users and incidents: :hehe:

Another sample:

When i tried the scenario of driving some football fans , it appeared to me that there were some passenger wagons parked on some sidings (as they had no locomotive and thus not 'on duty') and they had passengers in 'em. :) I like the fact that you added passengers in the wagons, instead of the ghost trains MSTS had, but don't overdo it

http://www.railsimulator.com/node/322

:p Were they booking seats before time or was the football match being offered on wagon TV sets?... :hehe:

Let fun go on!

Alberte :wave:

After seeing the new poll about KRS on these forums, I have decided to post my thoughts here.

KRS sure has a lot of bugs. That's something I don't really need to elaborate on, as I think we've heard a good share about them.
Unfortunately, just about any game published by EA will be pushed out early to get the Christmas rush sales.

After playing KRS however, I have certainly never had a more immersive experience in a train simulator.
The sounds of the steam locomotives is an absolute delight, all the way from zero to eighty miles per hour. The steam sounds really help you feel how fast you're actually going.

Rather unlike TRS, the physics were also highly enjoyable, and can be quite challenging. It was impossible to simply set the regulator and reverser and make myself a cup of coffee, like what I would do on one of my rare drives in TRS.

During a scantly prototypical run from Newcastle to York in a Black 5, with expert mode and manual firing, it was rare that I would even get the chance to while away the time watching things go by in the external cameras. All my efforts were spent keeping the fire burning nicely, the boiler's thirst for water quenched, and frequently fine tuning the regulator and reverser.
All that while frequently ducking my head out of the window to check for speed limits!
Being able to see the lovely procedural foliage rushing past certainly added to the feeling of speed.
It was an absolute joy to experience. About twenty miles out of York, the clouds grew dark and the visibility lessened from a storm.

Wonderful.

The bugs are numerous, but they certainly don't take away from enjoying the sim. There are far too many people getting hung up on silly things, without letting themselves actually have fun with it.

My enjoyment of the Trainz series has always been the notion of being able to make whatever I want for it, with relative ease. It is rare that I will actually enjoy a drive in TRS, as it gets very dull for me. There's no struggle or challenge, so I get bored and exit. So for this reason, I try to create content for TRS with the artistic side of things in strong consideration, hoping to get at least some sort of visual immersion to compensate.

For those reasons I am enthusiastically looking forward to being able to try creating content for KRS. There are many new features which I will be able to manipulate in the pursuit of making things look as realistic as possible, but it will also be enjoyable to actually use my creations.

Whether KRS is going to come even remotely close to the ease of Trainz for content creation is yet to be seen.
It certainly wouldn't be original for me to say that KRS and Trainz serve completely different purposes, and it is silly to compare them in a linear fashion. This is true.
What it comes down to though, is what you enjoy and have fun with, and which one serves your purposes the closest.

I hope that many more people will try to enjoy KRS for what it is. With bug fixes, it'll be great. It certainly isn't Trainz though, and I'll definitely stick with Auran's series as well.

Cancelled KRS order

Well since the KRS download through the EA Downloader STILL doesn't work (going on 5 days now) and I've gotten nothing but canned answers from their "customer service" in responce to my emails I've asked for my order to be cancelled and money ($62 US!!) refunded. Since i used PayPal I've filed a dispute with them as well so one way or another I will get my money back. Think i'll wait untill the US boxed release....maybe the bugs will be patched by then.

Last edited:
I decided to go with Trainz 2006 till something better comes up. I would appreciate if you could tell me some sites where I can download some additional trains, routes etc. Thank you so much for your help.

I've got the dvd of KRS and I think that there is a lot to like. The standard of modelling is consistently good, I love the fact that everything casts shadows and there don't appear to be any unsightly alpha channel issues, to name a few points. However, I am finding many infuriating aspects, mostly with the world editing tools and the interface generally- I agree with others who have suggested that the beta testing might have been a bit lacking.
That's why I voted for 'expecting more' in the poll.

However, I would also have chosen 'I'm sticking with Trainz' if I could have chosen two options. I've invested a lot of time learning content creation and I'm not sure that I can be bothered to start again in a new sim. I've got a few projects on the go that I will certainly be finishing.

I'm enjoying the routes and stock provided in KRS a lot, (more so than the out of the box experience of either TRS 04 or 06), but TRS is now a mature, quality product and I can live with its few failings.

I'll be back on TRS once the novelty has worn off, but (unlike MSTS) I think that KRS is shaping up to give a bit of healthy competition.

R3

I have to agree with Boobless_ed...

KRS is a true TRAIN SIMULATOR....TRS is fun and an ease to use which is great in some aspects but KRS is certainly in my opinion better in looks and physics.

Yes, we all know there are some bugs but to be honest did TRS and MSTS not have bugs when they were first released.

Tom
________
herbalaire

Last edited:
And should I mention the plethora of bugs in '06, kids? Hmm, maybe not.

But don't be too quick to get on the bandwagon and kick KRS into the ground with everyone else. Try it out first, and give it a serious chance. Still, it's a shame about EA having their finger in it.

Yes, there were bugs in trainz. I know that since I'm with trainz since the very beginning.
There still are some bugs in trainz, but at least the user doesn't feel like a pre-beta tester as with KRS :hehe:.

No software is absolutely bug-free but KRS as it is is just a joke and should have undergone another half year of beta testing and bugfixing before its release.
And before anybody gets to it - No, I was not one of the "oh no, not another month" and "not a delay again" moaners, I have a real life and can wait for good software.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

You're correct about one thing, Mr. Jingles:

KRS should have indeed undergone another half year of beta testing and bug-fixing before it's release.

Same with TRS2006, and nearly every other computer game published within the last decade or more.

I'm sure every software developer would love this luxury, but unfortunately, they must meet the publisher's deadlines, no matter how close they are. More often than not, this is to meet the Christmas sales rush.

KRS is certainly not a joke. It is a very fine train simulator, designed with people who knew what they were doing, and had much experience with train simulators. Unfortunately, like the Quake series, Half-Life, TRS2006, and just about every other game, it has a horrendous amount of bugs in it's initial release, which should not have been so soon.

Kuju's Rail Simulator is, as I mentioned, a very good simulator, marred by bugs.

The only joke however, is Electronic Arts, the publisher.

Hi Lance,

does this poll mean that when KRS is released in Australia that it may have a NVRFAIL logo on the box?;)

Be a nice way for some to buy from the "competition" and still be supporting Auran:D

Steve.

they must meet the publisher's deadlines
Not necessarily. As with music artists, they could ignore the old dinosaur publishing, distribution and retail companies and opt for independent distribution via the Internet. In order to generate some income they could charge a nominal amount for early beta test versions, with the price rising as the product develops and gets closer to the finished thing. Mount & Blade is a good example of a program which uses these concepts. On the face of it, it seems to be a tragedy that Kuju didn't do it that way. However, I do realise that the large file sizes required for a train simulator would present a serious practical problem but SVN and/or torrents might provide a partial solution to that.

MSTS-X, being a Microsoft in-house development, is of course subject to a rather different set of rules, especially as its main purpose appears to be to sell Vista.

John

Yup, they could have broken the publisher's contract and previous agreements. But if they did this from the start, it would be doubtful that they would have even had the money to make a fully-fledged rail simulator.

The majority of the money put into KRS would have come from Electronic Arts, so they are literally (and contractually!) forced to follow EA's whims with this...

By the way, Mount & Blade is fantastic, it's good to see other people enjoying it!

Yes, I agree with your comments Boobless_Ed, once having got into bed with EA a divorce would have been financially unthinkable.

But considering what M&B involves (a complete new game engine, a complete 3D world, a complete game, a complete set of assets and a complete AI system for NPC's) would a train simulator really involve that much more? Maybe we ought to suggest that as their next project, and I'm only half joking...

John

It's a true TRAIN DRIVING SIMULATOR, at least that's the way it looks at the moment.
Seriously, and I'm not trying to disagree with you, how would you define the difference: whether layouts can be easily created and edited by the user, whether it has out-of-cab cameras, or what? For example I'd regard BVE as being a train driving simulator, would you agree?

John

Back