Kuji Rail sim release date Friday 5th October 2007

take a closer look at Rail Simulator.

I wish I could... blame 'magnificent' EA downloading system for it, not me! Maybe tomorrow.

But, anyway, we are not blind or deaf or dumb to that big deal of complaint and buggy reporting, even not denied by Kuju itself. And there's not a demo to confirm it or not beforing paying for it.

Hope tomorrow I can say: "That's my personal direct impression of it". In the meanwhile, I listen, see and give my humble opinion, of course. Not sneering at all, even though sneering is allowed and recommended in human life from time to time. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sneering

Take care,

Alberte :wave:

I am a Trainz oldtimer. I bought the initial version, UTC and TRS2004. But I stopped short of buying TRS2006 because I didn't see anything new in it from TRS2004. Over time I have stopped running TRS2004 simply because the AI issues were never addressed and with the direction of Trainz changing with Classics I knew they were never going to be.

Now I am still awaiting my copy of Rail Simulator but in the meantime I have been trying to get some answers from the RS team about the three main things I like about Trainz and whether they will be supported in RS.

1. Create a route and setup the route with signalling, track markers, speed limits etc so that it is setup for automatic AI train Sessions.

2. Being able to setup multiple AI trains and setup a timetable for each one of them without having to drive any of the tains yourself.

3. Being able to jump between the trains and ride along or footplate them and watch what they are doing.

I have little to no interest in driving trains. What I am interested in is being able to simulate railway networks with multiple AI trains following timetables and resolving disputes etc automatically once the route has been setup correctly. So I was looking to RS to see if these features were provided out of the box. You can see some of my questions on RS in this thread here http://www.railsimulator.com/node/307 and here http://www.railsimulator.com/node/166

I was rather dissapointed that RS will not support being able to footplate an AI train. That right of the bat is big step backward from Trainz. One can only hope that RS will introduce this feature sooner rather than later. However, based on what they are saying it does seem possible to setup an all AI based scenario where trains follow their respective timetables. Only problem is that you only have the option of the free roaming camera to track the trains you can never go on board an AI train. I am not sure how true this is given the buggy state of signalling and speed limits etc etc which would be critical for AI trains to function properly.

I still cannot give any valid feedback about RS but I will be getting it in a couple of days and I expect to try out the different features and post more feedback based on my own experiences. Unfortunately some of this cannot be truely tested until the development pack comes out.

Let me add that I wish Auran had continued down the same lines as they had done with TRS2004 instead of detouring into this Classics concept. That basically killed it for me and interest in Trainz. TRS was unique in that it was the only simulation out there that gave the "RAILWAY" perspective and not the "DRIVING" perspective. With the driver schedule commands and the Wait Until type commands and the Driver Speed Rule you could create a somewhat timetable based railway network although it was not perfect. I was hoping Auran would go further and build more support for that in future version of Trainz and come out with a more complete and true Railway Simulation. Instead they have lost their way and headed down an abyss. Its been a really sad thing to see the last few years wasted away as a result of wrong strategic decisions.

Last edited:
No blending at all, B_N. That's what I meant by "a photo pasted".

Anyway, it's just a detail on a screenie. The overall is what matters. ;) As you can notice everyone has his/her own main points when dealing with this kind of digital gaming. I don't care much if there are three or four stripes, but the general appearance. Maybe you don't know that one of my favourite quotes is: 'There's not only a Trainz but a Trainz for every of us". :sleep:

BTW, that sky is not exclusive for Britain, I'm afraid I know it very well over here... :D

Alberte :wave:

The first thing I thought when I saw this was, it's a sprite. The effect is exacerbated by that awful side to side motion if you put the camera behind the loco, that and all the stock in view is wobbling from side to side in unison.

I just read a little thru the forum of the RS and one post of RSadam was very interesting
What ever we implement, it will be a feature that can be adjusted as required by the end users, via the DevToolPack.
END QUOTE

Otto

Originally Posted by Boobless_ed
The bugs are numerous, but they certainly don't take away from enjoying the sim. There are far too many people getting hung up on silly things, without letting themselves actually have fun with it.

Wel, let me tell my opinion why the RS is not fun out of the box.
I think how KUJU/EA has presenting there sim is the biggest mistake. They told about the best sim, real driving experience etc. Also they promissed the tools on release date. When you look at the sim then the signaling is the worst i ever seen in a trainsim jet. Even bve does a better job on that and BVE is freeware. And we talk about a sim here. And when you asked me signaling is the basic of a trainsim. When the signaling is messed up well then there is no fun of driving a train. And i hope that the singaling is bugged or wrong placed. If this is an code problem then this is a worse scenario. Also there is no timetable. Also this is a mistake in this sim.
These 2 things are not silly. These are the basics for a good sim. Btw i dont think that there where peeps involved how to do signaling. Once again this is an Arcade game out of the box and then it me be fun for some peeps that dont like real sims.

Greetz laika:wave:

Last edited:
Just a thought, for people keen on organising the running of multiple trains, do the train dispatcher simulation programs hold any interest? Or does their lack of 3D world graphics rule them out?

John

Lack of graphics definitely rules it out for me. After all that is a major part of the experience. I heard on the UKTS forums that Zusi3 does a pretty good job at timetables and signalling but I am not sure if its a driving simulation or supports purely AI driven trains and also more importantly if it will be released in English.

anything about Kuju's Rail Sim on my website is coming down like a curtain this weekend

bye bye Kuju:D

Last edited:
Let me add that I wish Auran had continued down the same lines as they had done with TRS2004 instead of detouring into this Classics concept. That basically killed it for me and interest in Trainz. TRS was unique in that it was the only simulation out there that gave the "RAILWAY" perspective and not the "DRIVING" perspective. With the driver schedule commands and the Wait Until type commands and the Driver Speed Rule you could create a somewhat timetable based railway network although it was not perfect. I was hoping Auran would go further and build more support for that in future version of Trainz and come out with a more complete and true Railway Simulation. Instead they have lost their way and headed down an abyss. Its been a really sad thing to see the last few years wasted away as a result of wrong strategic decisions.

I think you misunderstand the 'Classics' concept. They aren't just route packs you know, they are also adding to the codebase and increasing features.

Mike.

Let me add that I wish Auran had continued down the same lines as they had done with TRS2004 instead of detouring into this Classics concept..... I was hoping Auran would go further and build more support for that in future version of Trainz and come out with a more complete and true Railway Simulation. Instead they have lost their way and headed down an abyss. Its been a really sad thing to see the last few years wasted away as a result of wrong strategic decisions.
It continues to amaze me that there are so many here that know more about running Auran than Auran does and yet they just don't listen.....you'd think they'd learn....:cool:

I think you misunderstand the 'Classics' concept. They aren't just route packs you know, they are also adding to the codebase and increasing features.
Mike.

Are there any links that you could point me to that list the improvements? My understanding was with Classics they were just focusing on content and not on improving AI logic, timetables, scheduling etc.

The list for TC1&2 enhancements is:

• New Freeways feature supporting and including one way and multi-lane roads
• Flashing ditch-lights
• Headlight dimmer system
• Remodelled roadway traffic featuring working head lights
• New sound functions for better representation of electric traction
• Train controlled sounds, lights and boom gates at build-in road crossings
• Automatic Train Protection options
• Computerised in-cab displays
• Improved Heads-Up-Display options
• Flexible Cab Signalling system
• Improved session-design options

(from the TC CCG; page 429)

KRS never said it would be "so great and glorious" everyone assumed and was dissapointed that the product still had bugs....Get over it, move on and be patient as with ALL games there is bound to be bugs and they will get fixed...

Most complaints are people not being happy with the look etc... UPGRADE your computer, i have set the setting on high for everything and it looks as good as all the pictures on the KRS website.

Tom
________
List of vehicles

Last edited:
• New Freeways feature supporting and including one way and multi-lane roads
• Flashing ditch-lights
• Headlight dimmer system
• Remodelled roadway traffic featuring working head lights
• New sound functions for better representation of electric traction
• Train controlled sounds, lights and boom gates at build-in road crossings
• Automatic Train Protection options
• Computerised in-cab displays
• Improved Heads-Up-Display options
• Flexible Cab Signalling system
• Improved session-design options

Unfortunately this list simply reinforces what I said a few pages back. Almost everything in the list is cosmetic. These features might look pretty but they don't really take the system forward. Admittedly the "Automatic Train Protection options" sounds interesting - but it's probably just some work-around to make-up for the dodgy AI.

:(

Perchpole

As I said KRS never said that...EA games did...

EA rushed the release of the game and therefore RS suffered...
You shouldn't blame Kuju for something the publisher did;)

Tom
________
Mercedes-Benz 220 history

Last edited:
Back