Kuji Rail sim release date Friday 5th October 2007

Re: Beta Testers

While I have no inside information on the processes of Kuju's beta program, I am very confident that the beta testers would have had no say in when the product was deemed fit to be let out the door and it is grossly unfair to suggest that they are to blame for a product that others have decribed in this thread as buggy or incomplete.

Again I wish to stress the role that beta testers play and that is one of testing, testing, reporting, confiming and retesting. They have very little, if any input into the production schedule for a title and they are unfamiliar with what market and commercial ($) forces are driving it's release.

I'd encourage you to talk to any beta testers that you meet, especially closed beta team members, who have contributed to a testing cycle. Ask them the realities of testing and how often their opinion on a product's readiness was sought. I can guarantee it would not have been often.

Next time you wish to critique a program please do so on it's own merits. Then at the same time, give kudos to the great team of testers behind it; those that spent their own personal time and effort to get it to the state it was when it was taken out of their hands.

Cheers.

Hi Lance,

does this poll mean that when KRS is released in Australia that it may have a NVRFAIL logo on the box?;)

Steve.
They are apparently working on an Aus version, but being on the other side of the world they are having trouble running trains upside-down Steve!! :hehe:

From a non "Railway Fanatics" point of view and I only run 06 atm, it has been said that Kuju have had 4 years in the making to "Get it right"!! Well I wouldn't totally disagree, but then, Auran must have been in the market now for at least 10years and they still haven't got it right!! Don't get me wrong, the Routes, Scenery and Traction made mostly by the purchasers of this product have made it what it is, but there are many annoyances in the background ie: Sound, CMP etc. which are all down to Auran.

The Kuju product visually looks superb and actually looks superior to Trainz. Like all software releases, I will give Kuju (or EA) time to get their act together, so next year I will re-assess the situation whether to buy or not.

People have already stated in other threads that 2006 will not get another SP, and TC is a "fanatics only" product depending what era. So it seems Trainz is going nowhere!

Lance,

Certainly a good point. it certainly could have had more time in the hands of those testers, but that opportunity certainly hasn't occurred.

John,

You know, it certainly would be possible. If fact, if you do a Google search for 'Spoor Sim', you would find a free train simulator which - although now long abandoned - progressed quite far without any real cash flow, made primarily by the one person if my memory serves me well.

There are many significant differences to something like Mount & Blade for instance though though; the necessity for a complex physics system, and even more important than that, a huge amount of research.

The whole prospect of this has interested me for a long time.

It would possible though. You'd certainly need a good team who could work together, and faultless knowledge of what you wanted to design.

I think this has gone a little off topic! *shrugs*

Hi Lance,

does this poll mean that when KRS is released in Australia that it may have a NVRFAIL logo on the box?;)

Be a nice way for some to buy from the "competition" and still be supporting Auran:D

Steve.
Hi Steve,

No. It is a reflection of what the very small Trainz team want to know about how the Trainz Community feels about this product.

That aside, Railsimulator may contain the NVRFAIL logo on the box in the Oceania region but the poll is topical and apolitical at this time.

Cheers.

They are apparently working on an Aus version, but being on the other side of the world they are having trouble running trains upside-down Steve!! :hehe:

....snip.... Auran must have been in the market now for at least 10years ..../snip....

....snip....So it seems Trainz is going nowhere!..../snip.....
Trainz has been on the market since November 2001.

Trainz is going to plenty of places ..... express through nowhere ;)

Cheers.

Lance, Please make plans for next version of Trainz with new version of 3D game engine. I think that EA forced Kuju to rush KRS out the door without enough beta-testing. When you buy a car, you expect the car to take you from one place to other without breaking down. In USA, if your car breaks down too many times, you have a right to get either a refund or another car.

Hi Steve,

No. It is a reflection of what the very small Trainz team want to know about how the Trainz Community feels about this product.

That aside, Railsimulator may contain the NVRFAIL logo on the box in the Oceania region but the poll is topical and apolitical at this time.

Cheers.

many thanks for your reply Lance,

I voted I have it on order - I can't wait only due to their being no option along the lines of "ordered to check it out but am sticking with Trainz":)

Steve.

Lance, Please make plans for next version of Trainz with new version of 3D game engine. I think that EA forced Kuju to rush KRS out the door without enough beta-testing. When you buy a car, you expect the car to take you from one place to other without breaking down. In USA, if your car breaks down too many times, you have a right to get either a refund or another car.
Jeff,

Perhaps Bill Gates should meet with GM/Ford/Chrysler; or the other way around ;)

Cheers.

Seriously, and I'm not trying to disagree with you, how would you define the difference: whether layouts can be easily created and edited by the user, whether it has out-of-cab cameras, or what? For example I'd regard BVE as being a train driving simulator, would you agree?

John
My simple definition would require that the simulator will allow all operations to be achieved without entering the cab of any train. It may be that the advanced tools for KRS will allow this, but at the moment KRS is more like an enhanced MSTS than an enhanced Trainz. Let me add that is not a bad thing, I am enjoying driving in KRS, but it is no where near as flexible as TRS. Yet.

I'd encourage you to talk to any beta testers that you meet, especially closed beta team members, who have contributed to a testing cycle. Ask them the realities of testing and how often their opinion on a product's readiness was sought. I can guarantee it would not have been often.

Ain't that the truth!

Hi Lance

Trainz may well have been in the marketplace since 2001, but you could not have formed the company, developed "Trainz" and then put it to the market on the same day!!

Chris
No, the company was formed well before that for a very different reason; Dark Reign.

Greg Lane had the concept for Trainz in the late 90's. Auran started developement very soon after that in early 2000.

Cheers.

If fact, if you do a Google search for 'Spoor Sim'...
Yes, the early versions had so much promise and it really seemed that it was going to be magnificent. So sad that it was abandoned. It was a wonderful achievement for its creator even so.

John

Hi, alot of peeps in here are talking about that KRS is a real simulator and TRS not when it comes to physics. Well as a real traindriver i cant say KRS is a real driving simulator. I dont know how Steam is running because i never run one in reallife. But When i compare the TRS class(turbo) made by snowsignal well it handle alot better then the version in KRS. Also the signal system in KRS is not well done. On the German route there are no becons and alot more strange things. Also the Uk signaling is in my opinion not well done. (go from green to red), missing sonflower in cab, etc. KRS out of the box is not more then an arcade driving experience to me. I dont want to defend Trainz. But KRS out of the box cant reach the physics and realistic route building of Trainz at the moment. Also when you take the Add-ons from BSI made with the Trainz concept has even better Physics and signaling then KRS. The only thing as a real traindriver i mis with Trainz is the speed of the GFX engine. The GFX is great but we need a faster engine for alot better FPS.

Btw look how fast doors are closing in the KRS sim. Well if that happens in RL well alot of accidents will follow.
Also when you drive a junction in the wrong direction also with 10 km/u well you got an very great crash. Well in RL this is not the case at all. So in my opinion KRS is not a real driving sim. Ofcourse maby when this game is patched and the tools are there we can talk on a different way. And afther that it will take years to have as mutch assets as trainz has now at the moment.

Also the bad service of EA is also not hopefull. Look at the peeps that ordered KRS online. Well that is not a very good style to keep costumers happy.

Greetz laika:wave:

Last edited:
Well, things are getting closer to a certain ridiculous buggy point...

This new official one:

Turntables can get out of sync and not align correctly with the surrounding tracks if used erratically

What on earth do Kuju guys (my respect to them above all) mean by "if used erratically" :confused: Yes, erratically comes from error, but are they blaming users for "misturning tables"? ;)

http://www.railsimulator.com/node/145

Alberte :wave:

No, the company was formed well before that for a very different reason; Dark Reign.

And what a damn fine strategy game that was "back then" in the 90s.
I played it day and night and should still have my bought original lying around here somewhere.
Was playing it on my Pentium100 with 64Mb RAM, a 8 Mb ATI and 4 Gb HD (a killer system at that time, hehe).
It was a pretty advanced strategy game with challenging AI for that time.
Such a sweet game .. ah, memories .. :D

So, one can say, I'm supporting auran for a looooong time now already.

The shortly released "Fury" however just doesn't do it for me.
That's just a fast paced "WoW meets Mortal Combat" which I have no interest in.

However I really hope that the Trainz team has now all the development resources back so they can start working on a completely new version of Trainz (RSP and other obandoned branches spring to my mind).
The TC series for me also has absolutely nothing to it, it just seems to be an income generator for auran (hopefully to drive a new Trainz product then).

Tata
Mr.Jingles

While I have no inside information on the processes of Kuju's beta program, I am very confident that the beta testers would have had no say in when the product was deemed fit to be let out the door and it is grossly unfair to suggest that they are to blame for a product that others have decribed in this thread as buggy or incomplete.

Again I wish to stress the role that beta testers play and that is one of testing, testing, reporting, confiming and retesting. They have very little, if any input into the production schedule for a title and they are unfamiliar with what market and commercial ($) forces are driving it's release.

Next time you wish to critique a program please do so on it's own merits. Then at the same time, give kudos to the great team of testers behind it; those that spent their own personal time and effort to get it to the state it was when it was taken out of their hands.

Cheers.

My dear Lance,

...which not seems to be the case of RS...

Of course I can testify your case to be so (humbly being part of some of it). Volunteered betatesting is to be praised and recognized and 99 % of this community does -by having this community you are lucky and we are lucky, it's a kind of deal! But in spite of such an extensive betatesing some buggy stuff came along in Trainz builds after releasing, which sensible people would label it as 'average' in the world of software.

I'm afraid that Kuju hasn't been able to afford such a great betatesting team; otherwise, I can't understand such buggy extend... :confused: or maybe they have been pushed... by my "friends" at EA.

Take care, my friend.

Alberte :wave:

Last edited:
@Lance_Jago,

I want only "A new grafic engine".

How old is it? 5 years or more?

The function in Trainz from my first Trainz-Retail----UTC----TRS2004 (my last) was even better.

Now after so many years I only want a game with new grafic...

Features have it enough.

I wait for RSP - nothing... the future of Trainz???

When Auran give me a new Trainz, with new grafic "AND PLEASE WITH UPDATE FOR ALL LOCATIONS" and not so:
SP 3 - UK/GERMANY/US/AUSTRALIA....

And not: Australia at first and the other 8 months later.
Or they become nothing...

ONE FOR ALL...

Then I will buy it again.
For the next time I order me RS.

@all
KRS is wrong - RS - from Rail Simulator Developments Ltd

Look here http://www.railsimulator.com/support

KUJU have now nothing to do with Rail Simulator.

I know that SPs cost money - I know that a new game cost money.
But I buy Trainz / UTC / TRS2004 all for the full price and not years later.

I would not write here... I'm a Trainz User for so long time.
I hope for a new thing, and the hope is the last that...

The last user make the light off - or - change it with a new.

Last edited:
Back