Rough handling, - Oh for heavens sake........

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
I love everything about TS2019 except for the nag comments that pop up like'rough handling' and 'excessive acceleration'. I have a large amount of 1850s and 1860s items of rolling stock that are loose coupled, have dumb buffers and no brakes to speak of and certainly nothing remotely like continuous brakes piped the length of the train. Their e.specs do a pretty darn good job of replicating how these mid-19th century wagons and coaches must've functioned back then. I also have a good few 1850s-1860s locomotives as well that have miserable brakes and some of the older ones have dumb buffers too.
I love running my mid-19th century engines and rolling stock and moving them across to TS2019 was easy as anything. Everything just works better and I'm really enjoying myself with upgrading an 1890s version of the Minehead branch to TS2019. Everything is perfect except for those darn nag messages!

The Minehead branch has long steep gradients and working mid-19th Century trains over it is a challenge I enjoy. All except for the constant nag messages that pop up everytime the buffers touch or I get a 'rug' as the old enginemen used to say when the couplings snatch. Plainly whoever wrote the software for the nag messages had always been cossied in modern error dismal hauled trains and knew not a thing about the historic Uk side of Trainz. If they're so darn clever then come and drive a loose coupled coal train down the gradients to Minehead and lets see how many nag messages they get.

Mostly though, now that I've got that off my chest, I want to know if those stupid messages can be turned off. My joy would be complete if they were gone.

This has been requested before and I think Windwalker acknowledged our requests, but could say nothing more than it's on their future to do list. Not sure if that means the logic behind it would be checked or a switch to turn it off would be made available. At least N3V knows some of us are unhappy with it.

Andrew

Last edited:
This has been requested before and I think Windwalker acknowledged our requests, but could say nothing more than it's on their future to do list. Not sure if that means the logic behind it would be checked or a switch to turn it off would be made available. At least N3V knows some of us are unhappy with it.

Andrew

Well at least they acknowledged the fact that we aren't happy and that's better than a poke in the eye I suppose.

It's on the soon(tm) list. It happens with software development when there are a lot more pressing things occurring such as memory leaks, and outright crashes, which have a bit more priority.

I too ignore the message when driving my trams. They have steep grades and tight curves to contend with, and both of these conditions bring on the excessive curve speed and rough handling messages.

If you've ever ridden on a tram, (a trolley as we call them here, heading from Boylston Street on to Tremont Street in the subway, there's nothing close to smooth curves. Hit the curve and slow down suddenly to 15 mph because it's a 90-deg curve under the streets. Squeel a lot and loudly, and the tram pulls into Boylston Street station with the warning bell clanging loudly. The trolleys that run on this route are custom built because of the tight curves. When the Type 9s were purchased from Breda in the 1990s, the builder somehow messed up the bogies and the trolleys promptly got stuck in the tunnel there as they fell off the tracks. The new trains had to be mothballed and retrofitted at company expense.

But... anyway... I ignore the messages and chuckle to myself about it.

TrainTipping-1.jpg

OreHopperOverfill.jpg

43041117855620.jpg

88861117855800.jpg

images

hB37BDC97

Last edited:
It's on the soon(tm) list. It happens with software development when there are a lot more pressing things occurring such as memory leaks, and outright crashes, which have a bit more priority.

I too ignore the message when driving my trams. They have steep grades and tight curves to contend with, and both of these conditions bring on the excessive curve speed and rough handling messages.

If you've ever ridden on a tram, (a trolley as we call them here, heading from Boylston Street on to Tremont Street in the subway, there's nothing close to smooth curves. Hit the curve and slow down suddenly to 15 mph because it's a 90-deg curve under the streets. Squeel a lot and loudly, and the tram pulls into Boylston Street station with the warning bell clanging loudly. The trolleys that run on this route are custom built because of the tight curves. When the Type 9s were purchased from Breda in the 1990s, the builder somehow messed up the bogies and the trolleys promptly got stuck in the tunnel there as they fell off the tracks. The new trains had to be mothballed and retrofitted at company expense.

But... anyway... I ignore the messages and chuckle to myself about it.

Yes of course trams would be a unique situation John. I was 5 years old when the trams disappeared from Auckland, but I can still remember riding in trams as a young child. Fortunately due to the work of a dedicated band of enthusiasts there is a preserved tram line at the transport museum in Auckland and I would would take my children for a ride on the trams whenever I could.

I just ignore them, as Trainz isn't that realistic for such things.. unlike the real railways, where rough handling could derail the train, or destroy something...

Back