Thread: Texture replacement and normal mapping

Default Texture replacement and normal mapping

I'd like to prepare a bulk load featuring normal mapping for my coal cars. How to prepare it so the load will appear with the normal map?

Let me explain.
    I prepared a car equipped with a bulk load animated mesh to represent the load. THis works ok for years but now I dream about having the texture to be normal map equipped. And here the problem comes. When I prepare this load mesh with a load_map texture featuring normal map the texture itself turns into the desired texture of a loaded goods but the normal map of the original texture remains the same. So in simplier words this works like this:

load_map.texture + load_map_normal.texture -------> coal.texture + load_map_normal.texture

and of course I'd like it to be:

load_map.texture + load_map_normal.texture ------> coal.texture + coal_normal.texture

I found also that when I load an old load asset with no normal map the load_map_normal.texture is also loading (but this however brings better effect in TRS19 than the original textur itself)

I followed those tutorials:
    http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...acement_Effect
    http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...re_Replacement
    No info on bump mapping there.

Blog Entries

Hi Samplaire
    Unfortunately, at the moment, Trainz does not support automatic texture-replacement of the normals map on bulk loads.

We may look into this in future, since this could make a big visual difference with PBR textures with parallax height maps, but we cannot say when this may be.

At the moment though, if the traincar is most likely to carry some specific commodities (ie it primarily carried coal) then you could try setting queues for those commodities, with individual meshes that have a custom normals mapped texture applied.

You could also then have an extra generic queue that handles other commodities that use the texture-replacement system, but either have a generic normals map or no normals map.

Regards
    Zec Murphy

Customer Support Rep
    N3V Games (Auran)

*Please do not use Private Messages for support. Support can only be provided via the helpdesk, or via the forums.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZecMurphy View Post
    We may look into this in future, since this could make a big visual difference with PBR textures with parallax height maps, but we cannot say when this may be.
    Not my question, but I hope so. Products such as crates, logs, processed timber, and the like, are ideal for PBR and parallax.

Edit: Oops, I misread the posts. Please ignore.
    Last edited by pcas1986; April 15th, 2019 at 02:39 AM.

Paul