40 Minutes And Counting - - Route Still Not Loading

How big is it? My Cotton Belt Route is 317 megabytes and it typically takes 8-10 minutes to load (at the most).

From Leavitt AB (Alberta) Northeast to Coaldale AB - 70 mls. From Coaldale AB Westbound to Coalhurst AB - 18 mls. And from Leavitt AB West to fictional town of Scottsdale BC - 40 mls. I placed mountains as well near Scottsdale. Might that have something to do with it. The entire route is loaded with scores of trees, house, towns, industries etc.

Last edited:
The only suggestion I have would be to move Trainz to an SSD. They're getting much cheaper; I bought a 1TB drive for about $110. But very large routes will still take a while to load; just not quite as long.

Yea because I loaded my route a while ago and we're at 70 minutes now - and it's still loading??? Maybe if I shut down and restart the computer perhaps?? Sometimes that has helped in the past.

Yea because I loaded my route a while ago and we're at 70 minutes now - and it's still loading??? Maybe if I shut down and restart the computer perhaps?? Sometimes that has helped in the past.

How is your disk space?

What about disk health?

If your disk is very full, or is having problems, this can cause performance issues. There are also other factors as well such as TADDaemon doing things if you have that in your version.

If the TADDaemon is validating content, this can cause extremely long loading times as it validates all your content installed in your Trainz copy.

Yea, 95 minutes went by and the route was still loading. Could there possibly be some kind of Malware in the route, or does Trainz protect against that. I imagine they do. So far I still have lots of space on my computer, but I'll look further into the matter on some of the things you described John.

Yea, 95 minutes went by and the route was still loading. Could there possibly be some kind of Malware in the route, or does Trainz protect against that.

As far as I am aware, there is no executable code within a route or assets. The .gs scripts in assets (if present) are managed by the built in script compiler and, again as far as I know, there is no script commands that can access anything other than the Trainz database. Besides, with nearly 20 years of operation, there has never been a virus or malware attack involving the Trainz program (but one can never say never in the future).

The issue, from past experience, is most likely one (or several) of the following, in no particular order ...

• a faulty or corrupted asset (perhaps even your route?)
  • a corrupted Trainz database
  • a corrupted Trainz install
  • a hardware problem (as indicated by John above)
  • the phase of the Moon (dismiss this possibility at your mortal peril)

Land sakes.. Swell.. All that work, apparently, for nothing - down the drain. Hopefully not. This all started when I went 40 mls West of this one town and did a whole bunch of high mountains with scores of trees and details.

I hate to say it but having a lot of trees/details may have affected the loading time quite badly particularly if you saved whilst in that location. Check if it's caching though whilst it's attempting to load the route.

Shane

I usetask manager to see what processes are running, and turn off unneeded processes tasks

Disconnecting from the Internet can help, by preventing your PC from being used by processes

Defragging your hard drive may help ... And running virus scans ... Restarting your PC, and again turning off unneeded processes, and running offline my help

Turning off Skype, and even turning off your antivirus may help

Last edited:
I would do a Rebuild followed by a DeFrag (defragment) of the disk. The rebuild will reorganize the stuff so it is found faster by Trainz. The defrag then reorganizes the same stuff but in a way that makes it easier for the Windows system to find things. Adding a lot of items without those processes CAN lead to your dilemma. Windows finds it faster and Trainz can plow through the stuff faster. Also, reduces wear on your disk(c).

Land sakes.. Swell.. All that work, apparently, for nothing - down the drain. Hopefully not.

For the last few months I had thought that I had lost months of work on a layout due to either corruption (likely) or a bug involving the rulers (I had hundreds of rulers in the layout) in the beta version I was using. A ruler "overflow" bug was confirmed by Q&A but with no certainty it was the cause and with no way of recovering from the problem. The moral here is do not use betas for major project development but I already knew that common sense rule and ignored it anyway.

I left it for a couple of months and today, out of idle curiosity, I loaded in the route into Surveyor. Miraculously it loaded into the latest beta correctly with all the assets in place (just track and a few other items) and it did not crash to the desktop when I carefully and methodically started deleting all the rulers. Strangely though when loaded into the non-beta retail release the track is missing.

So there is always hope - sometimes when you least expect it.

I would do a Rebuild followed by a DeFrag (defragment) of the disk. The rebuild will reorganize the stuff so it is found faster by Trainz. The defrag then reorganizes the same stuff but in a way that makes it easier for the Windows system to find things. Adding a lot of items without those processes CAN lead to your dilemma. Windows finds it faster and Trainz can plow through the stuff faster. Also, reduces wear on your disk(c).

Think you mean prebuild?

Back