Payware steam locomotives

nfitzsimmons

Possibly an argument-starting topic, but would like some recommendations on the best payware sites for North American steam locos. I realize that these recommendations will all be based on personal opinions. But I'd like to hear personal experiences.

Beware, some of the "promo" videos(perhaps all) have fake engine audio that was ripped from real steam engine video and dubbed over the game audio. You can even hear the people using their real cameras (the beep cameras make when they take a shot)

Most of the steam sounds in this video are not from the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZIt0LCoI94
(notice the foot steps in the grass and on rock right at the beginning.)
I watch lots of steam engine video on youtube, and many of these sound clips, I recognize.
This video uses audio from this real world video. Im pretty sure thats illegal, or if they have permission, thats great and all, but that is also called false advertisement, and I heard ALOT of clips that I could swear came from many different videos on youtube of the NKP engine.
Money makes people do some really dishonest stuff.

People will think they are getting the same smooth and realistic chug sound, and echoing whistle, when they are not at all.
Why fake the audio when you can just show people what it really sounds like from the game, is it THAT bad?

Actually so far every video i have watched from this site, has totally fake audio.
You can tell due to the sound has the real engine sounds that the game CANNOT replicate. (just google the real engine)
This might be grounds for people getting their money back.
You can also tell when the audio has stack talk, how is faking the audio in promo videos any different than faking the video?
Why not just make the promo video the real engine, and then sell people the digital version?
WTF?
Youtube is all insane about catching music people have in their videos and then forcing monitization to benefit the music owners, but not for everyone else.

This site needs to stop that fake garbage, just capture the real engines in GAME with their real sound in GAME and sell people what you are REALLY selling them, FROM THE GAME.

Proof totally fake audio, you can hear the people and the cameras.
https://youtu.be/gZIt0LCoI94?t=449

Time to parse all their videos, match them to the original video's audio and report them for copyright theft, and since the site is making money, a real lawsuit is possible now, good job morons.

I suggest you not support this site until they take down/mute their videos. And please do, mention it to them, if you are, or have been a customer, because technically you are supporting their theft.
And from what I have noticed, many many many here are very very very serious of copyright theft.

But if the "engines sound fine", its ok that their advertisements are fake and steal audio? Mmmmhmm..

Last edited:
K&L has the best steam locos of any train-sim.

taned_092.jpg

taned_079.jpg

taned_049.jpg

Never watched much of K&Ls videos, locos sound fine to me.

Harold

Last edited:
K&L got me into Trainz. They are very tough to top. You might try Trainz Forge, too. They have some Yosemite Valley 2-6-0s and modern 4-4-0s that are terrific. Also a brilliant 2-6-6-2. They are oil burners, and are free.
smyers

I do like The Backshop's selection of both payware and freeware https://www.thebackshops.com/index.html

JR has a couple of payware must haves as well as a couple of freeware steam engines http://jointedrail.com/product-category/payware/steam-transition-era-2/

Colorado71 has a fair selection of freeware, donationware, and payware https://colorado71.webs.com/ they are a bit on the old side to some but quite good IMO.

PaulzTrainz has a broad selection but also are a bit dated. http://www.paulztrainz.myenet.info/ Very reasonable rate for custom work.

A couple of Colorado71's ATSF Berks hauling a fast freight through the Central Valley at 70 mph.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

:D

Last edited:
OK -- I acknowledge it's not payware, but don't discount Ben Neal's steam locomotives. They are up there with the best payware.

If you search the Download Station with me, "philskene", as the author you will find several that I've updated for use in T:ANE and TRS19. For example:

Phil

Thanks for the additional recommendations, Phil and Norm. I'd completely forgotten about PaulzTrainz. Can anyone confirm that these work in T:ANE? I've found that importing 2012 locos into T:ANE seem to come in minus all of their attachment points, and I have better things to do than using PEV's attachment maker to create 10-14 new attachment points..

Phil, I already have everything you've uploaded; great work. I also have all of Ben's locos that will work in T:ane. Fixing the older ones that done is beyond my skill level.:(

Beware, some of the "promo" videos(perhaps all) have fake engine audio that was ripped from real steam engine video and dubbed over the game audio. You can even hear the people using their real cameras (the beep cameras make when they take a shot)

Most of the steam sounds in this video are not from the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZIt0LCoI94
(notice the foot steps in the grass and on rock right at the beginning.)
I watch lots of steam engine video on youtube, and many of these sound clips, I recognize.
This video uses audio from this real world video. Im pretty sure thats illegal, or if they have permission, thats great and all, but that is also called false advertisement, and I heard ALOT of clips that I could swear came from many different videos on youtube of the NKP engine.
Money makes people do some really dishonest stuff.

People will think they are getting the same smooth and realistic chug sound, and echoing whistle, when they are not at all.
Why fake the audio when you can just show people what it really sounds like from the game, is it THAT bad?

Actually so far every video i have watched from this site, has totally fake audio.
You can tell due to the sound has the real engine sounds that the game CANNOT replicate. (just google the real engine)
This might be grounds for people getting their money back.
You can also tell when the audio has stack talk, how is faking the audio in promo videos any different than faking the video?
Why not just make the promo video the real engine, and then sell people the digital version?
WTF?
Youtube is all insane about catching music people have in their videos and then forcing monitization to benefit the music owners, but not for everyone else.

This site needs to stop that fake garbage, just capture the real engines in GAME with their real sound in GAME and sell people what you are REALLY selling them, FROM THE GAME.

Proof totally fake audio, you can hear the people and the cameras.
https://youtu.be/gZIt0LCoI94?t=449

Time to parse all their videos, match them to the original video's audio and report them for copyright theft, and since the site is making money, a real lawsuit is possible now, good job morons.

I suggest you not support this site until they take down/mute their videos. And please do, mention it to them, if you are, or have been a customer, because technically you are supporting their theft.
And from what I have noticed, many many many here are very very very serious of copyright theft.

But if the "engines sound fine", its ok that their advertisements are fake and steal audio? Mmmmhmm..

If what you are alleging is true, then that is a problematic issue.

I think it is worth taking what you're saying with a grain of salt. Although the specific audio you point to was potentially a dub, I could not find evidence in many of their other promo videos of such a practice. Even in the video you point us too, much of the audio was actually ripped from the game. You're acting like the K&L guys are big time criminals over 20 seconds of audio which might not even be copyrighted in the first place!

The biggest issue I have with what you're saying is that you don't provide a source as to where this audio came from originally. For all you know, that could have been a clip that they took, was royalty free, used with permission, or even part of the public domain!

Beyond that, the products themselves don't contain copyrighted material from what I can garner. It's not like buying a random CN loco from K&L is going to provide you with a link to download a pirated version of Avengers: Infinity war or something.

If the audio clip is indeed used without permission, then the original owner would have to:
-Find it
-Care enough to take legal action
-Hire a lawyer
-Go through the court process
-Potentially be found correct, but also potentially not
-Possibly get a legal payout which probably wouldn't even equal what they put in to begin with

Point being: this isn't a big deal.

As for the false advertising claim- there are far worse examples of products being advertised to look or sound one way even though the product doesn't look like that. Take this McDonalds commercial:
This is what you actually get:
images

By your logic, Micky D's should have had it's butt sued off a long, long time ago for deceptive advertising. But they haven't. I'm honestly not sure anyone even wants too.

At least with a K&L product, what you're buying looks like what you see in the promo. Just because 1 old advertisement doesn't have the same sounds as you might get in game throughout the entire thing (the sounds at the beginning at least sound like what you get in game for sure) does not mean that the entire ad is deceptive.

Couple things. Adding camera clicks and footsteps is not false advertising. It's called adding ambient background sounds, none of which are related to the model being sold. Are you going to claim false advertisement because the narration and music in my promos aren't from the game also? It's a production, not a simple screen capture. Everyone knows there is editing involved. Heck, look at the cover the game! If the sounds of my engines couldn't be replicated in the game, i'm sure ONE person out of the thousands of people who have bought my products would have mentioned it at some point in the past 7 years. But no one has, probably because the sounds of the engines in the videos are the sounds my engines come with when you buy one. If you think I literally took 30 and 40 second audio clips and just pasted them over my video, you're 100% wrong. You're claims of "false advertisement" are completely unwarranted and unnecessary.

Couple things. Adding camera clicks and footsteps is not false advertising. It's called adding ambient background sounds, none of which are related to the model being sold. Are you going to claim false advertisement because the narration and music in my promos aren't from the game also? It's a production, not a simple screen capture. Everyone knows there is editing involved. Heck, look at the cover the game! If the sounds of my engines couldn't be replicated in the game, i'm sure ONE person out of the thousands of people who have bought my products would have mentioned it at some point in the past 7 years. But no one has, probably because the sounds of the engines in the videos are the sounds my engines come with when you buy one. If you think I literally took 30 and 40 second audio clips and just pasted them over my video, you're 100% wrong. You're claims of "false advertisement" are completely unwarranted and unnecessary.

I wish there was a way to "like" a post on these forums. This was a really well thought-out and well-written response!

Great response Steve!

Thanks for all you do for us. I have never had any complaints about any K & L Trainz product.

"One has to be a little careful that one does't bite the hand that feeds one"!!!

I for one, are very grateful for all quality freeware content, especially good quality steam loco's. K&L's content is right up there...

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
I would also agree with these two statement
I wish there was a way to "like" a post on these forums. This was a really well thought-out and well-written response!

Thanks for all you do for us. I have never had any complaints about any K & L Trainz product.

TINE
But I take exception to your example of the fake video { REALLY } . It was meant as a reaction of a event , portrayed in the SIM as the actual event . With a brief history and introduction to the work . { Kinda like trainz dose all the time } Nothing in that video has been changed as to the Detail , performance or sound of the Steam Engine shown or even the cars shown .

Your post shows me your ignorance of whats been recreated as to sound used in the sim , or any simulation .

Matt

"One has to be a little careful that one doesn't bite the hand that feeds one"!!!

I feed myself.

Are you saying that the video has NO dubbed steam engine sounds? And that all sounds that sound like steam engines, chugging, whistles, ALL the engines make in the video are, FROM THE GAME ONLY?

Then congrats you have some quality sounds. You should be proud. :p However I still don't get why the ad has engine sounds that are different throughout the video. Your different speed sounds must have big differences between them.

Last edited:
Back