The Drop

Quick question guys, looking at how some of the more recent routes are put together, I take it using digholes to remove the sides/floor to create a hollow appearance under the table are out of favour and fascia style panels enclosing the "drop" are in?

I've noticed that as well. From what I've read here a few times, the dig-holes have a severe performance impact and should be avoided as much as possible. The fascia I think look better anyway when done well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments...
Conversion is underway,

Say hello to Pentre Cwningar-NG24

Still got a lot of work to do.

I won't hijack this thread any further, I will start a new one soon.

Pentre-Cwingar-NG24.jpg

No problem Graham - more inspiration. I'm currently eyeing a couple of warrenish track plans and thinking they might go well into NG24, once I finish off Westwood City!

I have always used digholes together with either 1) the baseboard edging by itareus or 2) my own cupboards based on my quoted floor drop with tops at baseboard level - sometimes dropped a fraction if there are texture flashing problems. To me this looks realistic, like a layout in a large room. I have not noticed any performance problems but my virtual model railway layouts are always confined to the one room, again for realism - the room measures roughly 30 x 30 ft in UK 1:76 scale. (Actually a tad more, but I'm happy to settle for a round figure.) I'm not sure how digholes work but of course the baseboard is still there, just invisible, and objects can be placed on it - preferably with a work surface placed beneath. And a dighole can always be deleted to restore the surface if the model baseboard needs extending - or moved like any other scenery object. The advantage is a sharp edge to model baseboards - the disadvantage is that only straight edges or right=-angled corners can be used (unless I use my triangular half-square fill-ins, but even with those a curved edge is not possible.)

Anyway, this is what suits me so I shall carry on!

Ray

I can see the pros and cons of both, Ray. There is definitely a bit of z buffering or whatever it's called on the corners, so you have to drop one of the spline points by 0.05 to overcome this. Also to disguise the sloped terrain and avoid that becoming visible you need to extend the fascia edge beyond where you would really see the woodwork on a real model railway. In fact, the framework would normally be entirely underneath the chipboard or insulation board used for the actual surface that would come right to the edge.

It really is a shame in hindsight that N3V didn't/haven't contemplated any code changes to how things work to make it easier to generate raised surfaces to emulate the model railway. Also I can't see myself how you would configure some of those American layouts that run on multiple levels stacked above each other, connected by helixes.

Well, as long as this thread has been bumped out of obscurity, Euromodeller, I have the <kuid:166065:105390> EMM Model Railway Warrenberg Narrow Gauge TANE SP3 route, which has a missing dependency.

<kuid:200726:30001> by michael-h is missing from <kuid2:200726:23033:3> BUe760mm-090-2gl-Halbschranken (fixed track). Any idea where I might find this KUID? Any help is much appreciated!

Well, as long as this thread has been bumped out of obscurity
... by a mega SPAM post that has now been deleted.
As a general note: If someone without a registered version makes a post, please check it for hidden links before referring to it in your own posts. Please report posts with hidden links; the one I removed contained a few.

Well, as long as this thread has been bumped out of obscurity, Euromodeller, I have the <kuid:166065:105390> EMM Model Railway Warrenberg Narrow Gauge TANE SP3 route, which has a missing dependency.

<kuid:200726:30001> by michael-h is missing from <kuid2:200726:23033:3> BUe760mm-090-2gl-Halbschranken (fixed track). Any idea where I might find this KUID? Any help is much appreciated!

Now that is interesting.
All assets at the time of making the route were on the DLS.
I just downloaded Warrenberg into a clean install that I just happened to conveniently have :)
The asset in question downloaded OK within the BUe asset.
So I deleted <kuid:200726:30001> from the asset in CM and it showed up as unknown so I coud not download it again, even though it had just been installed?
I then deleted the complete Bue <kuid2:200726:23033:3> and re-installed it via CM.
The track asset downloaded OK.
So, if it was unknown by CM how did it find it in the new download?

Anyway, this is Trainz and things happen!

I suggest deleting <kuid:200726:30001> in CM and then re-installing.

New TANE and TRS19 versions are in the pipeline too.

Euromodeller, it turns out I had five assets starting with Bue that were missing that asset. I deleted them and then went to CM and downloaded everything he had out there for BUe760mm and now they are all good and the route is good. I think maybe the 3002 asset isnot on DLS but contained within one of the other assets?

@Oknotson, sorry for using a bumped thread with a bad post. I think you can lock this one anyway.

Back