Tunnel Covering

For some time now I have been wondering how after you lay a tunnel (rail or object spline) there is a difference between various assets where some of them allow you to raise the ground back over the tunnel and the tunnel is clear whereas others as soon as you raise the ground, the tunnel gets filled in, and if you smooth spline, the hill gets flattened. I am particularly interested in asset <kuid2:523:19721153:2> Tunnel 2T an object spline.

Tony Howard

Thanks cascaderailroad, but I know about digholes and I hate them! I am talking about any other rail or object tunnel spline. I realise that a rail spline has to be N/S or E/W, but I was hoping to use the object spline as mentioned above to not have to be aligned.

Tony

Thanks cascaderailroad, but I know about digholes and I hate them! I am talking about any other rail or object tunnel spline.
That asset doesn't exist. If you are asking "How do I make an object spline behave the same as a 'tunnel' spline?", then the answer is to use a dighole.

All splines can be lowered into the ground by lowering the spline point. You can not use smooth spline on tunnel splines as the ground lowers to the base of the spline. E/W, N/S is not true as you can set the tunnel spline to 45 degree angles.

SailorDan that asset does exist in TRS19 or is part of a DLC download.

Last edited:
All splines can be lowered into the ground by lowering the spline point. You can not use smooth spline on tunnel splines as the ground lowers to the base of the spline. E/W, N/S is not true as you can set the tunnel spline to 45 degree angles.

SailorDan that asset does exist in TRS19 or is part of a DLC download.

That is good news I thought I was going to have to go back and readjust all my tunnels and make sure they were exactly north south east and west by alignment to the gridlines I will say however that when you do put them at anything--but those true 90 degree variations it is hard to get the Grid's to conform along the edges and a lot of times you have to add other things because you get that one corner that just won't cover up right n trees are helpful too..... 😎

Using "Snap to Grid" tunnels is not recommended ... But you can disable the "Snap to Grid" by deleting the "Dighole 1 - Snap to Grid" or entering "Dighole 0" feature in the config file ... then you have to apply your own dighole 1x1 manually

"Snap to Grid" "Self Applied Dighole" assets are the absolute worst thing thought up in Trainz

Last edited:
DO NOT USE DIGHOLES. They screw up tunnels in TRS2019.

Luckily, based on what I said in the recent survey, the devs have been alerted to the issue and have opened a task. Hopefully, TRS2019 SP1 will fix this issue.

What are the problems with dig holes in TRS2019 ?

I have quite a few in my route for tunnels and haven't had any problems as yet

What are the problems with dig holes in TRS2019 ?

I have quite a few in my route for tunnels and haven't had any problems as yet
I'll show you what's wrong with digholes in TRS2019:
116940AB0B654B3E6553170E22CFEFF86618F267

The golf cart on the left did not have its height manually changed by myself. It seems that digholes artificially push terrain heights two grid spaces forward, and affect objects even worse on the y-axis. And this is just my own experimentation.
C0EF2C754F3BCDC2F4F290808F9A653900DD1880

This is the most egregious example, in which the digholes not only affected the tunnel portal, but the tracks and spline, as well.

The whole tunnel system is long overdue a complete rethink and recode, hopefully for the next version of Trainz. Much as I like routes/model layouts with tunnels (and hard to avoid on the latter) I detest the implementation in Trainz I try and avoid altogether if I can! :)

I have tried to replicate the golf cart and find no change in the placement of an asset near a dig hole. The tunnel portal needs to be lowered as it is sitting on the ground at the point the axis would be if ground was visible. A dig hole does not remove ground, it just makes it invisible. If creators allowed a much larger area around the tunnel mouth to be part of the asset there would be no need to try and fill in gaps.

Last edited:
Only made narrow gauge tunnels however I make separate portals that include sufficient terrain to cover the dighole and make them as trackside assets, just drop onto the track and they will stay put. Then just use a tunnel lining between the portals, saves hours of messing around.

I'm currently working on a route in TRS19 that has numerous dig hole tunnels, and they all work fine. I've run trains through them multiple times without a hitch.

Joe

I have tried to replicate the golf cart and find no change in the placement of an asset near a dig hole. The tunnel portal needs to be lowered as it is sitting on the ground at the point the axis would be if ground was visible. A dig hole does not remove ground, it just makes it invisible. If creators allowed a much larger area around the tunnel mouth to be part of the asset there would be no need to try and fill in gaps.
In my investigation, I've found it's certain digholes that do it. It seems only the ones by bendorsey work as they should.

EDIT: ben's digholes work no better. This is bullcrap. Why did N3V have to break the coding in T:ANE SP2? This is a very serious issue, and the only workaround I've found short of reverting back to TS12 (which is a resource hog that runs as slow as molasses) is outright omitting digholes. Philskene uses this method on his TS2019 routes, and I developed it further by using a black ground texture to cheat the tunnel opening, as seen here:

B5A0FECB93B53FF390562A9B4EF3307160D508FF

Last edited:
Back