Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TrainzDEM question

Parksville, Vancouver Island, Paradise Canada

Quote Originally Posted by paulper View Post
    I haven't downloaded this, but would like to now! Any ideas how as I can't spot it on the DS?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkNose View Post
    Not sure if this is the one or not, but I found a White Pass & Yukon on:

http://www.trainzitalia.com/forum/in...ukon-railroad/
    Yes! This is the correct access point for the White Pass and Yukon on TrainzItalia.

Cheers,

Derek
    Windows 8.1 T:ANE T19
    I used to have Windows 10 but it bombed on an update and when I recovered it to went back to Windows 8 (long after version 10 was no longer free!!!) to Microsoft.

The real question is- Could someone do a DEM of Middle Earth?

TrainmasterGT -
    The real question is- Could someone do a DEM of Middle Earth?
    Sadly, the closest we've been able to get to a digital elevation model for Middle Earth was from ortho-photos taken from a passing dragon...

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Ace View Post
    TrainmasterGT -
    Sadly, the closest we've been able to get to a digital elevation model for Middle Earth was from ortho-photos taken from a passing dragon...
    That's really too bad. Maybe on day we'll get a better elevation model.

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    It is. A good part of the manual is tutorials to learn about all aspects of the program. The rest explains all the options available. There is no need to use all the options and in the end you only use what you really need, and for me it's about 5-pages worth if that. This is the same for other people as well as the use the options they need for their own route creation.
    I have owned TransDEM for a good while now, but have had little success in actually using it. It would be nice if there were a condensed version of instructions that covered just what we need to know for Surveyor use. I would much prefer tailoring maps for my Garmin than for baseboard development in Trainz for some odd reason...
    Joel

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by cressjl View Post
    I have owned TransDEM for a good while now, but have had little success in actually using it. It would be nice if there were a condensed version of instructions that covered just what we need to know for Surveyor use. I would much prefer tailoring maps for my Garmin than for baseboard development in Trainz for some odd reason...
    I put together a quick guide that I've shared in the past. Sadly it's now terribly out of date due to the constant changes at the National Geologic Survey. If you want it, I'll link to it.

You can import the .gpx files used on GPSs into TransDEM's tracks as well as .kmz from Google Earth. If you look on the NGS website where you download the image files, you can also download transportation information including railroads. These are a .shp file, which is easily imported into TransDEM. I did that once and it worked okay, but not for what I was doing at the time.
    Last edited by JCitron; April 16th, 2019 at 08:40 AM.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592