I can't delete the bridge completely.

I love a happy ending :)

You are now going to do catenary?
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!
I've just finished doing catenary on several curved viaducts :eek:
Not for the faint hearted.

Good luck with it!

I also agree about these forums, a great source of help and information.

Catenary... Yuck I know. I agree it's not for the faint hearted!

I have two kinds of this. The first is the standard wires attached to the poles. This is great for long stretches of line with little interference. The other is track objects in the same style where I carefully align catenary wires without the poles attached. I then adjust the wires as needed and align them for the curves where needed and use this where there's lots of junction work, and for viaducts where I can adjust the height of the wires as needed.

Yes this was happy ending. I finished up some track rework again last night, put in my signals, and now I'm putting in my wires.

Thanks.... All the luck is needed to finish up the last stretch.

And John,

Make sure the head office cuts the power to the sections you are working on, I don't want to see you lighting up, or any explosions .........Lots of Amps flowing thru those lines........:hehe:

We want to make sure we keep you around.......LOL :cool:

THANKS! Wasted lots of time on that rogue track.

I sure did, but learned something too in the process - what doesn't work that is. The thing is with this stuff we try the more complex approaches instead of thinking on the "easy" level first. It's like taking the spark plugs out of an engine instead of checking the batter terminals. :)

The catenary progresses. The problem now is the wires are so thin, about the size of ant antennae, that I have a hard time lining things up. If there was a way to have splines like that to have a different color in surveyor, like a bright red or something, that would go pretty far in this respect, and because of this I gave up on the track-objects and fiddled with spline on the viaduct. It was still a pain, but I got it to work. Now I need to fix a junction between two double-track lines. Getting the catenary to fit without poles landing in the tracks is the challenge so I'm hunting for assets that will work and still fit in the style of the catenary. I don't want to have to change that out for a different style as that means redoing the whole route again including that viaduct.

I sure did, but learned something too in the process - what doesn't work that is. The thing is with this stuff we try the more complex approaches instead of thinking on the "easy" level first. It's like taking the spark plugs out of an engine instead of checking the batter terminals. :)

The catenary progresses. The problem now is the wires are so thin, about the size of ant antennae, that I have a hard time lining things up. If there was a way to have splines like that to have a different color in surveyor, like a bright red or something, that would go pretty far in this respect, and because of this I gave up on the track-objects and fiddled with spline on the viaduct. It was still a pain, but I got it to work. Now I need to fix a junction between two double-track lines. Getting the catenary to fit without poles landing in the tracks is the challenge so I'm hunting for assets that will work and still fit in the style of the catenary. I don't want to have to change that out for a different style as that means redoing the whole route again including that viaduct.

Attached a spline similar to Invisible track but not rail track just an ordinary spline, an invisible road spline would do nicely which is surveyor only would probably do the job.

I would think you could temporarily add it to the catenary spline

May need to be a TANE build.

as attached-splines

Code:
attached-splines
{
  {
    lateral-offset 0.0
    use-same-direction 1
    spline-kuid  [COLOR=#ff0000]<kuid of surveyor only spline>[/COLOR]
    visual-only 0
    follows-spline-gradient 1
    start-gap 0
    end-gap 0
  }

Could probably when finished then just remove that entry from the config so it returns to being an unmodified asset.

Thank you, Malc.

I may give that a try if I can. I only have a tiny part to do now so I'm not sure it's worth it and I can tough it out.

If this does work, given the asset version might be the problem, I can have my 'working version' and then do a bulk update and replace them with the actual version afterwards.

John, an aid for catenary..

see that strange looking asset on the viaduct?

It's an eyestrain saver. see second shot below.

Viaduct-catenary.jpg

Catenary-tool-1.jpg

It is brightly coloured to enable you to see the wires.

Yellow bar is the centre, green bars are outer limits to enable the zig-zag of the wire.

The blue post to the right is to align the mast at the correct distance from the track.

They are on the DLS/CM by trainbernd, I've shown some of them in the track object pull-out box in the screenshot.

There are 24 variations of the tool for single track to multiple track and for different track centres too! eg DFLS Tool qt750 is for 7 tracks at 5 metre centres.

The majority are track objects to save manual alignment of the tool.

They are for German/EU catenary so not sure if they will do for you, just thought I'd let you know of their existance.

trainbernd also has hundreds of catenary assets to choose from.

Last edited:
I once had a piece of track in TRS2006, morph into some type of unknown asset ... no matter what I did, it would delete it ... not even deleting the baseboard, as well as the track asset from the CM ... it was still there hanging in midair on a baseboard that was a complete hole in the DEM ... I did manage to shorten it and slide it off to the side ... I don't know whether it is still there, or has magically disappeared, or not ?

I once had a piece of track in TRS2006, morph into some type of unknown asset ... no matter what I did, it would delete it ... not even deleting the baseboard, as well as the track asset from the CM ... it was still there hanging in midair on a baseboard that was a complete hole in the DEM ... I did manage to shorten it and slide it off to the side ... I don't know whether it is still there, or has magically disappeared, or not ?

I had that happen once before in TRS2006. I gave up and started again from a backup because the track was in the way and even when I moved it it bugged me as being there.

In this case I couldn't move it except for one end even after changing it to another track type. Doing the paste-a-blank thing worked.

This is one for the books as they say, and will be recorded into my notes for future reference in case I need to remember what I did to fix this. I have an N3V directory in my docs folder with a subfolder called Tech-notes. There's a bunch of little text files with tidbits like this that I use for reference all the time. Sometimes these issues occur once every 3-years or so, so it's difficult to remember what exactly I did to solve the problem. With my brain turning to oatmeal, it's best to keep track of fixes while they're still fresh.

John, an aid for catenary..

see that strange looking asset on the viaduct?

It's an eyestrain saver. see second shot below.

{pics removed}

It is brightly coloured to enable you to see the wires.

Yellow bar is the centre, green bars are outer limits to enable the zig-zag of the wire.

The blue post to the right is to align the mast at the correct distance from the track.

They are on the DLS/CM by trainbernd, I've shown some of them in the track object pull-out box in the screenshot.

There are 24 variations of the tool for single track to multiple track and for different track centres too! eg DFLS Tool qt750 is for 7 tracks at 5 metre centres.

The majority are track objects to save manual alignment of the tool.

They are for German/EU catenary so not sure if they will do for you, just thought I'd let you know of their existance.

trainbernd also has hundreds of catenary assets to choose from.

Thank you Graham. I'll have a look at those.

Yeah the biggest issue for me is the eyeballs with everything about the size of ants. If these things allow me to see the wires, I'll be doing the happy dance. :)

Back