Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An engine spec needed for an 1870's Beyer-Peacock.

Not using a load all command?
    Malc

Ha ha, - yes of course Malc. I didn't think of that. Loading passengers, loading coal and water, - it's all the same to the game engine.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

HP XW8400 Xeon, Dual E5320 quad core CPUs, 16GB RAM, 1Tb SAS Hard drive, Nvidia GTX 960, Win 7.

Here's something I didn't expect. I was trying to setup one of my tank engines with an engine spec and having no luck so I checked the engine's mass/weight in the config file and that was fine. BUT when I checked the coal and water quantities it was carrying it was carrying FOUR times the amount it was supposed to be carrying. That was approximately 60,000 pounds more weight being added onto the engine over what it should be! No wonder I was having so many problems with it.

This webpage is a great resource by the way if you're looking for Uk prototype engine specs. http://www.steamlocomotive.com/locob...=Great_Britain
    Last edited by KotangaGirl; April 10th, 2019 at 09:28 PM. Reason: can't spell for toffee

HP XW8400 Xeon, Dual E5320 quad core CPUs, 16GB RAM, 1Tb SAS Hard drive, Nvidia GTX 960, Win 7.

I've moved all my engine spec testing over to TS2019. I'd been running my tests in TS2012, but I was finding that everytime I went to adjust a control in an interactive cab the simulator would pause for a second or two which didn't exactly make trying to drive an engine easy. You can see my computer specs in my post signature, - I have 8 CPU cores for heaven's sake, - nothing should be pausing. In the end I just got fed up and packed up everything over to TS2019 where things just seem to be working better. Braking in particular works better and is more predictable whereas before with some of my engines the brakes would hardly have any effect at and I was having to start braking when the station I was approaching was just an indistinct dot in the distance.
    Last edited by KotangaGirl; April 11th, 2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: can't spell for toffee

An on-going problem I'm having with setting up my engines properly is that some engines as downloaded have severely overweight quantities of coal and water as well as their weight/mass being incorrect in their config files. As an example I could not get a small tank engine to function at all on the advanced controls and was about to give up, but then I discovered it was carrying about one and a half times its own weight in water.

Confusingly it's not actually clear what measurement units are being used in Trainz when it comes to weights and measures. Kilos? pounds? gallons? litres? Is there a Wiki listing somewhere that definitely states what these units of measure are?
    Last edited by KotangaGirl; April 23rd, 2019 at 09:52 PM. Reason: fixing a mistake

United States of America, Oregon, Portland

Bulk load units are liters (even for things like coal). Weights are kilograms.

Thank you very much Pencil. Knowing what these units of measurement are for certain is going to make things a lot easier.