Extremely IRRITATING HONKING NOISE!

:clap::clap:Thank you gentleman, for a sound I have wanted to quite or get rid of for years, and I guess I got used to it,,,,,,But this is so nice to not hear after today's remedy ........Silence is Golden in this case....Now I can concentrate more on Driving the Train!!!!!:Y::Y:

I am one who has the Ringing of the Ears for longer than I can remember so certain sounds do affect Tinnitus, of which there is no Cure. I will have it the rest of my life.......:eek:

:( Those who have it, will more than well understand what it does, and what it means in bifurcated ways of how it impacts Noise coming into as well as trying to hear certain sounds that are obscured by the Ringing sound?

Update: Friday,,,,,, May the Lord Bless you too Sir Dave Snow.....Then you know well how it feels.........

I know exactly what you’re saying Blue. I have tinnitus also.
Having spent 14 years of my life on a Navy flightline, I know this "fun".

Having spent 14 years of my life on a Navy flightline, I know this "fun".

Yeah, I think I messed up my hearing when I was in Thailand during the Viet Nam conflict. I was an AF Photographer, and when the photo jobs slacked up we'd grab a camera and go down to the flight line and take shots of the F-105's and EB-66's taking off and landing. LOUD!!

Weasel-ARM-960_640.jpg

Free. There's no sound so what would I be protecting? :eek:

You never know... My grandfather wanted to can compressed air and sell it back in the late 60's. Everyone told him he was nuts. I look around now and they sell it and it's not cheap. Sometimes nothing is something. Technically you could copyright no sound, it's all in the bits (ones and zeros).

Wow Dave is that one of your own old pictures you took of the F-105 ?, One amazing plane I spose you could just about fill a book with pics you took.
Cheers Mick.

Wow Dave is that one of your own old pictures you took of the F-105 ?, One amazing plane I spose you could just about fill a book with pics you took.
Cheers Mick.

Not one of mine, as we shot mostly B/W, but I have some packed away in my "footlocker" that look just like that (only black and white).

Not one of mine, as we shot mostly B/W, but I have some packed away in my "footlocker" that look just like that (only black and white).

The good ol footlocker I still have mine from the Australian Army from over 25 year ago now so I could just imagine what would be in yours lol.
Cheers Mick.

Sorry to bump this older post but I'm about ready to jump off a cliff. These horn sounds are driving me crazy. I downloaded Dave's silent wav files but I wasn't able to change the files in CM. So I went in through C:\Program Files like Dave suggested but I'm not sure what to do once I get into the sound folder. How do I replace those 4 wav files with Dave's? Prior to SP1 I went in and manually removed the car sound from each car but Dave's fix seems like a better method. Can anyone please help? Thank you.

Using something like File Boss or some other utility that can write to multiple files at once, copy the replacement sound into the car folders. Using this, will save you from copying the same files over and over, and over again manually, which becomes a daunting task when there's a gazillion carz to take care of.

Once replaced, you need to update all the config.txt files to reflect the horn-sound change if the file is named something different. For that you can use something like Search and Replace Master, which will allow you to make global changes to a bunch-o-assets at the same time.

After all the changes are done, submit ONE asset to see if you did it properly. If all is well, submit all the other vehicles. The only ones you can't fix are built-in and payware.

I tried to replace the sounds with Dave's silent sounds but still could not commit the sounds, so I found an easier way.
Open CM and find the sound kuid 570470 100003 click on it and go to "content" on the menu bar and disable it.

Cheers,
Bill69

Bill69, great idea, but that file is called "Sounds". It has way more than cars. You also disable rain, airbrakes, steam engine, thunder, water, track, wheelslip and others. Maybe better to open to file explorer and go to the cars folder and replace the wav files there with Dave's...?

I still have all the steam engine sounds, don't know about the rain never use it, as for air brakes I never use diesel electrics either.

Cheers,
Bill69

Just tried it on my test track, I still have the rain, the fog and the snow.

Cheers.

I have lost the clatter of wheels over the points but that happens in the wrong place anyway. Wheels don't clatter on the point blades they clatter on the frog.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the help. Unfortunately in CM I am not able to save the changes I make to the wav files in the car sub folder for the builtin sound file. Somehow Davesnow did it but I'm not able to figure it out or do any of the fixes mentioned above. I'm really surprised more people haven't complained about these car noises. Oh well, guess I'll be turning the sound way down for now.:eek:

You could work in conjunction with a headphone company and come out with a "Honk Cancelling" pair of headphones.

(sorry: maybe the stay at home order is getting to me) - that was really bad.

However, having said that, how cool would it be to have a set of headphones that had a "record" feature (for 1-5 second clips) and then those clips would be "cancelled" in all future listening.

My solution was to open the asset for editing, change the wav files, then edit the config and change it to a KUID2 and add :99 to the end of the KUID.

THEN DRAG AND DROP THE FOLDER ONTO THE CM. After that the original goes "obsolete" and you can "revert unsubmitted edits".

Your new version takes over.

Maybe this needs to go onto the wish list for the next version? Nobody seems to like the standard overly noisy honking sound file!

They arent just loud (which they are) all have a DC offset, one has a subsonic modulation in the beginning.

2 have meta data showing they came from "A1 Free Sound Effects" a site hosted on angelfire.com (!?)

In short, as is they're trash. I pulled them down 30db and removed the offset and subsonic modulation. I may have been a touch too aggressive but they are easily ignored now.

My solution was to open the asset for editing, change the wav files, then edit the config and change it to a KUID2 and add :99 to the end of the KUID. THEN DRAG AND DROP THE FOLDER ONTO THE CM. After that the original goes "obsolete" and you can "revert unsubmitted edits". Your new version takes over.
So will your new updated version be put on the DLS?

Cheers, Mac...

Back