Rail rain effects

Nathansmith12

So I'm just wondering if there's either a mod out there or some kind of setting that I can get to make the rain realistic on windshields:eek:, since ts19 and before has had it for quite sometime, I gathered trainz would at least of done it by now since they do cab sway, any help deeply appreciated

Kind regards

Nathan

No rain in the forecast ... However ... you can spray your eyeballs, and monitor screen, with an atomized plant mister sprayer for that realistic rain effect

Last edited:
So I'm just wondering if there's either a mod out there or some kind of setting that I can get to make the rain realistic on windshields:eek:, since ts19 and before has had it for quite sometime, I gathered trainz would at least of done it by now since they do cab sway, any help deeply appreciated
Sorry Nathan, that's one of those features trainz lacks because the developers just don't have time and money

... to make the rain realistic on windshields:eek:, since ts19 and before has had it for quite sometime, I gathered trainz would at least of done it by now since they do cab sway

Do you want the rain drops to move with the windshield when the loco sways?:D

I must admit that of all the things that I would like to see implemented in Trainz, I did not even think of that one. But each of us has our own "wish list" and set of priorities and I would be surprised if any two users could agree on either. That must make the developers work interesting to say the least.

Give a man a nice sunny day, and he wish's it would be rainy ... lol ... I suppose you want plowable snow, with hot cocoa, after coming inside from shoveling 27" of what the weatherman had predicted: "Partly Cloudy Weather" from your sidewalk ? :hehe:

Last edited:
Were we supposed to get real weather with TS19? Depiction is a mathematical exercise. Real weather is more of a translation to already existing weather effects. Then work on the reality of those effects.

There is a big difference between depicting "real" weather (rain, snow, wind) and depicting weather "after effects" (such as rain drops on a windshield). The former involves altering the environmental effects within the game while the later mostly involves altering the surface features of objects within a scene.

To take the windshield example further, weather "after effects" would include:-

• wet roads and structures during rain (and why not wet slippery roads for the carz to negotiate?)
  • water flowing down roadside drains and pooling on ground surfaces during heavy rain (and how long do those pools last after the rain?)
  • snow on all surfaces (currently only possible if asset creators have added snow effects)
  • frost
  • autumn leaves falling on the rails:)

While these are not impossible, the processing requirements would tax any system. Perhaps when the 8K Ray Tracing version of Trainz is released.

My opinions only.

I agree modeling statis rain drops is wierd enough. Then modeling the smooth reshaping as they slide down the windshield but ate swept away by the wipers in a flurry of smaller (remodeled) drops is getting into the esoteric. Would be fun as a project but keep your therapist's telephone number handy.

However, applying real-world weather to EXISTING weather elements should not be a major challenge. My flight simulator does that very well and uses very low resources compared to the processing load from modeling 3-dimension flight and the effects of that weather.

Would you guys like some salt with those fries? Seriously though, It was just a thought, I still appreciate all the work these guys put into TRS19, It's something I'd like to see in the future for sure. I see SRSTrainz have actually implemented the roll effect on windshields on a few of their locos, so rather the game implement it, I'm sure there's some kind mod that could be installed in the future, Kind regards.

Trainz doesn't have blanket mods*, things you download that effects everything.

That being said it's entirely possible to take or adapt SRS's animation to other locomotives, you just have to do it individually to every one.

peter

*Some people have gotten ENBs to work in older versions of TRS; which effect everything.

Back