Content Creators - Please Read this Sticky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
Hi to all our Content Creators. We've put together this thread to help people locate the wide and varied resources on the Internet that will assist you in making content for Trainz.

For a bit of clarity of what constitutes a "Content Creator", the following categories cover most areas:
  • 3D modeller - making a mesh, and texturing the mesh
  • Repainter - using someone elses mesh, with their permission, and repainting the texture map
  • Environment Texture maker - creating ground textures and skies
  • Route builder - anyone who uses Edit Route / Surveyor
  • Session Builder - anyone who uses Edit Session
  • Scripter - writing "code" using TrainzScript to create Rules and Commands
  • TNI developer - more advance programming to hook into the Trainz Native Interface
  • Engine Speccer - creating customised engine specs to change the driving physics
  • Sound engineer - creating sounds for engines, scenery etc.

If you have other links that you think should be added to this thread, then please post here.

If you have questions about content creation, then this IS NOT the place to post.

1. Content Creator Tutorial website
  2. Content Creator DLC Submissions
  3. Content Creator Program - Forum thread
  4. Call for new content
  5. What are you working on?
  6. Twitch TV
  7. Trainz Wiki - reference, How To etc
  8. Email address; contentcreators@n3vgames.com

Last edited:
A dedicated “Sound guy”? We have excellent creators that can work wonders and create amazing content, but engine sounds, more specifically the recording and mixing of, is a huge task in itself.

Hi Tony,

I am pleased that you are encouraging content creators to make content for Trainz. However, one of my favorite route creators is Philskene, and he has submitted several DLC routes to the the QA team, a number of them for months now, without any apparent progress. It is my concern that if submissions are allowed to languish for an extended period of time, it will have a dampening effect on creators.

Bob Morrison

Sounds added (thanks evertrainz).

I know that the content has been slow to get through our system and Phils routes have hit a couple of hurdles. Interestingly with more content in the pipeline we could afford to add an extra team member just to process everything.

We've also been working on overhauling the whole content packaging process so that we are removed as much as possible to avoid any bottleneck. The good news is we're making good progress.

I see that I have been mentioned by both Bob and Tony in the posts above.

For the curious, this layout (and the standard gauge version) was submitted as DLC some time ago:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?150640-Almost-done

The following are updates to TRS19 standards (the new TRS19 track, the new PBR textures, the new TurfFX grasses) of layouts that have been included in previous versions of Trainz:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?150980-Just-need-to-find-out-how-to-feed-this-in

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...is-TRS19-DLC-update-into-the-quot-system-quot

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?151370-Bidye-Traction-Railroad-into-TRS19

There are more youtube videos of the above four layouts.

I suggested to N3V that the three updated layouts be made available free to TRS19 owners who have previously purchased the layouts as DLC.

Phil

Undoubtedly more boxcar reskins! The DLS abounds with them!

Pity they are only 40 inches long! Hopefully, the reskins will have a proper logo image. Content creators should also remove the superfluous config.txt because that will be an error in future versions, and use a common file for all the 'Digit_x' TGA files, because they aren't used and separate files are a waste of texture memory.

Find out how to reskin the TRS19 Custom 40' Boxcars HERE

Look forward to seeing what creators come up with.

Nice explanation of the texture atlas when used with LOD.

A key issue, at least for me, was the cloning of the original mesh library to replace the textures in the library rather than messing around with texture replacement in the target asset.

I don't do boxcars but this should work for buildings or parts of buildings.

A key issue, at least for me, was the cloning of the original mesh library to replace the textures in the library rather than messing around with texture replacement in the target asset.
The video doesn't mention that if you want to use the library for any subsequent lowest LOD images then you also have to adjust the reference in the 'body_low' mesh table subcontainer in the traincar to point to a different library mesh, because it is the library mesh that controls how the correct portion is selected from the merged image. Which mesh refers to which portion needs to be discovered by experiment.

The video doesn't mention that if you want to use the library for any subsequent lowest LOD images then you also have to adjust the reference in the 'body_low' mesh table subcontainer in the traincar to point to a different library mesh, because it is the library mesh that controls how the correct portion is selected from the merged image.

Yes. I hadn't noticed that the library is mixing the LM.TXT and lod-level methods. I knew you could do that but hadn't seen an example. There are quite a few interesting things in this model,

I have a request/recommendation for some future and/or replacement content. In my efforts to create a prototypical route, I have run into a bit of a hurdle. I cannot find a suitable set of road splines which allow my to lay a road path (typical of how we lay rail), then allow me to add road markings to customize the look of the roadways (lane markings, stop lines, etc.) Yes, I know that Trainz is all about the railroads, but much of the railroads interact with roadways and I would love it if I could make it as real as possible.

To all of the Trainz teams and the content creators out there... One great big "THANK YOU"!!

I have a request/recommendation for some future and/or replacement content. In my efforts to create a prototypical route, I have run into a bit of a hurdle. I cannot find a suitable set of road splines which allow my to lay a road path (typical of how we lay rail), then allow me to add road markings to customize the look of the roadways (lane markings, stop lines, etc.) Yes, I know that Trainz is all about the railroads, but much of the railroads interact with roadways and I would love it if I could make it as real as possible.

To all of the Trainz teams and the content creators out there... One great big "THANK YOU"!!

My apologies!! I may have found what I've been looking for after all! If anything, I suppose my problem is trying to find anything in the Content Manager. Just a lot of stuff to dig through!! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back