Probably Pervading Portal Problem

JTrainz174

There is a BIG problem with portals in TRS2019. Trains do not come out of portals at all. Even if you want portals to consume trains, they will not! There are many possible solutions like pressing the pause key, waiting at least 1 minute, and unpause, but that may not work. I want to know if others have the problem so i'll know if the problem is pervading.

Also, the info window will not show up when I click "View Info..." with the Info tool when I Ctrl+RightClick on the portal.

Last edited:
Love the title PPPP.

I just ran a few simple tests and I can confirm that they are no longer working. I do recall running similar tests on TRS19 portals a few months ago and found that they were working (or my memory has failed - not impossible!). I am using the same TRS19 build as I was back then so I do not know what has changed since - perhaps a script has been updated?

Check your Trainz Settings - Developer Tab to make sure that it has been set [EDITED to remove error] "Maximise Compatibility". This caused portal problems in the recent past but will not solve this problem.

I would report it as a bug with the kuid(s) of the portal(s) you have tested.

Last edited:
pware:
Check your Trainz Settings - Developer Tab to make sure that it has been set to "Maximise Performance" and not "Maximise Compatibility", which is a setting for asset developers only. This caused portal problems in the recent past but will not solve this problem.
err... shouldn't that be the other way around? Reckon it should be 'Maximise Compatibility' - NOT 'Performance'.

JTrainz174 - Just checked. All of my portals - whether set to produce or consume trains - are working flawlessly.
What KUID number are your non-functioning portals?

Another belated thought: Are you two on the new Gold Beta port perhaps, where issues have been reported with pguy's Quick Portal Manager?
My build is 98592.

Last edited:
pware:
err... shouldn't that be the other way around? Reckon it should be 'Maximise Compatibility' - NOT 'Performance'.

DUH ... you are correct - a brain snap. It is MAXIMISE COMPATIBILITY

In answer to your other question - I am not a Gold or Silver subscriber, I have the Mud Subscription version:)

Just checked. All of my portals - whether set to produce or consume trains - are working flawlessly.

I have just completed a more thorough test using portals <kuid2:30501:22006:3> Basic Portal and <kuid2:96914:22000:1> Portal Basic Short, both are built-in to TRS19. I tested using two of each with Portal 1 producing trains consumed by Portal 2 which emitted them through Portal 3 to be consumed by Portal 4. They all worked flawlessly.

In my previously test I used <kuid-25:1259> Portal (TRS19) which my CM states is installed, Payware.

Just a thought, there's a danger here that if things are updated to fix things for the Gold builds they will screw it up for those of us none "gold miners". As I understood it the fundamental parts of TRS19 should not be changing and adding new features shouldn't affect the none subscription builds.

As I understood it the fundamental parts of TRS19 should not be changing and adding new features shouldn't affect the none subscription builds.
That's the plan!

In terms of <kuid-25:1259> - I can confirm that this isn't working in the Trainz Plus bet (but will be as a result of this report), but is working fine in TRS19 release build.

Jtrainz174 - what build number are you using?

My only other thought is that you have your emit and consume timers too close together, so the train is consumed before it is emitted.

Last edited:
Portal Basic is working fine for me in a route I'm working on (two producing, two consuming) and portals are working fine in the philskene routes I have that use them, both Tane routes and TRS19 routes.

I have Trainz Build 98592 and can confirm that the portals "die" after around 20 minutes into gameplay. I am using portal basic on a 4 track mainline with 2 branches (all end/start in portals). The route has 12 portals and one after another stops producing or consuming trains after around 20 minutes into the session. I am guessing there is a maximum number of trains a portal can consume/produce in TRS 19? I played with the performance settings high/low but that doesn't make any difference. The same "setup" of portals work without any issues in TRS12 or older.

I have Trainz Build 98592 and can confirm that the portals "die" after around 20 minutes into gameplay.

I have been running my test portal system, described in post #5 above, in TRS19 for 50 minutes now (and still going) and the portals have not missed a "beat". Portal 1 produces a consist every 3 minutes which navigates to portal 2 where they are consumed and emitted 1 minute later from portal 3 where they navigate to portal 4 to be consumed. The driver schedule for each consist has the commands "Navigate to Portal 2" and "Navigate to Portal 4".

It is important to check that the consists do not interfere with each other. For example the consist from producing portals must clear the portal and make that section of the track clear before the scheduled release of the next consist - this is particularly important if a single portal is both consuming and producing consists.

Could you list the kuids of the portals you are using?

Could you list the kuids of the portals you are using?

I am using Portal (TRS19) -25:1259. I can use 4 portals on my layout without issues. The trouble starts when I have more than 10 portals on my layout and each portal consumes/produces a train every 4 minutes.

That sounds like script timeouts rearing their ugly head to me... Having more than 10 portals in action concurrently puts a considerable multi-threading demand on your processor/ the simulation and certain code changes made recently may exacerbate the timeouts of scripted objects more distant from your current gameplay focus.
I have found that a simple industry, like 'Forestry Basic' (kuid:-25:1231) sometimes loses the plot and does not harvest and stack logs if unattended for too long and when far from your current point of view on a large route. Close supervision and a stern reprimand will get the workers back on the task.

Last edited:
That sounds like script timeouts rearing their ugly head to me... Having more than 10 portals in action concurrently puts a considerable multi-threading demand on your processor/ the simulation and certain code changes made recently may exacerbate the timeouts of scripted objects more distant from your current gameplay focus.

I was thinking that it might be a performance issue and the code change in TRS19 would explain why older versions of Trainz have no issues with the portals. It also doesn't matter which portal I use the result is always the same, they stop accepting trains at around 20 min into the session (or max number of trains).​

I was thinking that it might be a performance issue and the code change in TRS19 would explain why older versions of Trainz have no issues with the portals. It also doesn't matter which portal I use the result is always the same, they stop accepting trains at around 20 min into the session (or max number of trains).[/LEFT]

It's most likely the scripts getting overloaded just like what occurs with signals. Try saving, exiting, and going back into the saved version, or pressing the pause key for a minute or two. What that does is to release the 'pressure' on the scripts and everything comes alive. I get about an hour on my big route and a bit more on smaller routes before I need to pause or reload.

It's most likely the scripts getting overloaded just like what occurs with signals. Try saving, exiting, and going back into the saved version, or pressing the pause key for a minute or two. What that does is to release the 'pressure' on the scripts and everything comes alive. I get about an hour on my big route and a bit more on smaller routes before I need to pause or reload.

Well I managed to get it working... by removing all scripts from the trains that enter/exit the Portals. It's not really a solution but it works. I am now running my Layout with 12 Portals and none of them fail.

Well I managed to get it working... by removing all scripts from the trains that enter/exit the Portals. It's not really a solution but it works. I am now running my Layout with 12 Portals and none of them fail.

Well that's interesting news, but not good.

What scripts did you pull out?

I've had off and on issues with Instand Load and releations not working.

ATTENTION

ATTENTION: As of today, I have figured out that "Maximise Compatability" makes portals function and have now found the solution to the pervading portal problem.:D:D:D

Back