Trainz Commuter Rail stuff

hholdenaz

Some of you may think I want this stuff for myself, but it's a different story: with help from Tapatalk ownership of Trainz Commuter Rail was transferred over to me. Unfortunately, it seems when TCR started using Tapatalk all the first-party downloads got deleted as well.

therfore, I have to ask: does anybody here still have stuff that was only available on Trainz Commuter Rail? I already got the NJT stuff, but if there’s anybody who has other content, please send me a PM: I promised to return the downloads to TCR and I intend to keep it.

Bear in mind that most users do not have the rights to send you the content they downloaded from a site... you're safest bet is to contact the original authors.

peter

Bear in mind that most users do not have the rights to send you the content they downloaded from a site... you're safest bet is to contact the original authors.

peter

It ain't a matter of rights it's a matter of promise. I know where your concern lies but I must restate: those items were on there before and are therefore part of the website already. What's the point of asking for permission to upload something when it was already uploaded before the Tapatalk transfer?

A promise isn't going to stand up in a court of law.

The issue isn't TCR hosting stuff that was on TCR before. It's with people who don't have redistribution rights sending the content. I'm not saying you need to go ask the creators for permission to host, you need to ask them to send you the files. Or provide the ok for others to send you the files.

peter

A promise isn't going to stand up in a court of law.

The issue isn't TCR hosting stuff that was on TCR before. It's with people who don't have redistribution rights sending the content. I'm not saying you need to go ask the creators for permission to host, you need to ask them to send you the files. Or provide the ok for others to send you the files.

peter

Even if that’s the case there may not be a choice: Gandolf hasn’t been on since last year. His files I doubt he will notice if they’re uploaded onto TCR again.

I will sort out all legal troubles if I must.

Ensuring you have legal access is the key when sharing content. The original creator owns the copyright, and so you need their permission to share the content. If you have that permission, then how you source the content is less of a concern and probably moves into a grey area legally. (I am not a lawyer, just providing my understanding).

Well I managed to find Strasburg V2 on an old computer. It has been uploaded. My main goals now are Valley Railroad and Branford Steam.

This one is something of a last resort: is there a way to access the downloads using the Wayback Machine?

You might get lucky, but that doesn't always work.

Go to the downloads section and see if the links are still there. This will only work if the data is stored on a separate website and those links remain, and if the downloads aren't corrupted in some fashion.

The website became defunct for various reasons. But what really did the website in was the forced transition to tapatalk. Once that happened everything broke and was no longer able to work as it was intended. Couple that with the fact that everyone began to have busy lives outside of the Trainz world, along with the fact that I simply could no longer force myself to work on the long in the tooth and painfully slow game engine that was never truly fixed...but that is another story.

With that said, even though "ownership" was transferred, which I also don't 100% agree with as the actual owners and creators of the website should not be tossed aside by some company decision...

However as it stands the downloads are going to continue to be in a limbo state until access can be regained to the server that hosted all the files. After suffering multiple hard drive failures my access to it and the file backups I had are now but utterly useless and what I do have is so outdated that it is of no use to anyone.

All the original authors of the files that were on TCR still retain the rights to each file, even though they were all released under the TCR banner so contact to each of them would be required. I know prr1361 is still active somewhat so he should be the easiest to talk to about his things.

It's fine

You have my permission to host my content that was on TCR as long as the author is clearly indicated

Cheers

Isn't TCR the place that had the Metra F40PHM-2 and Cab Car? If so I'd like to see those return someday!

Back